14 Sep, 2007

How to play hopscotch

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Archive of playground games|Easy ways to make kids happy

Hopscotch

Supplies needed: chalk or sidewalk paint, stones/bottlecaps or bean bags. Flat stones are best. They don’t roll!

Playing hopscotch is easy. First, make the paint to create your hopscotch grid.

The one above was made with equal parts cornstarch and water and a few drops of electric blue food colouring. But chalk works just fine too.

If you’re the first player you throw your marker on the number one (the closest square), hop over it, moving up to ten, hopping on each square. All hops are done on one foot for each “single” square, unless there are two squares are side by side, in which case you hop down on both feet. Once you get to ten you must turn around and hop back again, carefully bending down to pick up the marker on the way back. You can’t lose your balance and you must always remain on that one foot.

For your next turn you need to throw your marker so it hits the #2 and so on.

You lose your turn if your marker doesn’t hit your intended square, if you lose your balance on the hopscotch grid, or if you forget to hop over your square.

p.s. just for fun, try searching Flickr for the term “hopscotch” and you’ll get a lot of sweet pics.

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to "How to play hopscotch"

1 | Lee

September 14th, 2007 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for the sidewalk paint recipe! Someone gifted us with a pre-made s/w paint and I just couldn’t get my head around buying more!

2 | Lee

September 15th, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Curious. I wonder if it’s a regional thing, but we’ve always done 1-3 as singles, 4-5 double, 6 single, 7-8 double, 9 single and 10 semi-circle.

3 | Guest Post: The Games We Play | Family Jewels - Canadian Family Blog

April 2nd, 2009 at 10:31 am

[…] of the other games we played was hopscotch. As kids we used ordinary chalk but nowadays we make our own sidewalk paint. The formula is very […]

4 | Space to play >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 13th, 2009 at 8:58 am

[…] hockey sticks, buckets and shovels, a plasma car, bikes and scooters, sidewalk chalk (sometimes we make our own!), and balls of all kinds. Now that I am thinking about it I’ve realized there are a few […]

5 | How to play with your kids >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 6th, 2010 at 3:41 pm

[…] Make your own sidewalk paint and go crazy on your driveway. Draw a track for the trike. Design a new kind of hopscotch grid. Decorate the sidewalk with numbers and letters. […]

6 | Summer survival >> a peek inside the fishbowl

July 25th, 2010 at 8:00 am

[…] making sidewalk paint and making your own hopscotch grid […]

7 | laser spine operations

November 6th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Good way of describing, and fastidious post to get facts
on the topic of my presentation subject matter, which i am going to present in university.

8 | www.fatlossfactorreview.us

December 7th, 2012 at 8:05 pm

These are in fact fantastic ideas in concerning blogging.
You have touched some nice factors here. Any
way keep up wrinting.

9 | Sidewalk chalk games for kids… and parents too! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

May 13th, 2013 at 3:56 pm

[…] buckets of chalk are worth every penny, aren’t they? We’ve sketched out a lot of hopscotch grids as a family, but her idea took it to a whole new […]

10 | Jenna

June 20th, 2014 at 3:05 am

This just refreshed my memory. Nice blog. I hope to read more updates from you.

13 | chatgept indonesia

January 1st, 2024 at 3:24 pm

I do not know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else experiencing problems with your website.
It looks like some of the written text in your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me
know if this is happening to them as well? This might be a problem with my web browser because I’ve
had this happen before. Many thanks

14 | online games

February 1st, 2024 at 6:35 am

A number of them are rife with spelling problems and
I to find it very troublesome to tell the truth on the other hand I’ll certainly come
again again.

15 | bengkel resemi daihatsu sawah besar

February 7th, 2024 at 5:00 am

Everything posted made a great deal of sense. However, what about this?
what if you composed a catchier post title? I ain’t saying
your information isn’t solid, however what if you added a post title to possibly get
folk’s attention? I mean a peek inside the fishbowl
» Blog Archive How to play hopscotch – a peek inside the fishbowl
is a little boring. You ought to glance at Yahoo’s home page and note how
they write post titles to get people interested.
You might add a related video or a picture or two to grab people interested about what
you’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it would bring your blog a little bit more interesting.

16 | Vape Sale

February 8th, 2024 at 3:03 pm

Hello colleagues, how is all, and what you want too say about this article,
iin my view its in fact amazin designed for me.

17 | euro2024

February 16th, 2024 at 8:27 am

always i used to read smaller content which also clear their
motive, and that is also happening with this paragraph which
I am reading now.

• euro2024: always i used to read smaller content which also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this paragraph which I am reading now.
  • shbet.id: SHBET is a bookmaker with a legal online betting license issued through the Isle of Man & Cagayan Economic Zone and Free Port. Website: https://sh
  • Vape Sale: Hello colleagues, how is all, and what you want too say about this article, iin my view its in fact amazin designed for me.
  • bengkel resemi daihatsu sawah besar: Everything posted made a great deal of sense. However, what about this? what if you composed a catchier post title? I ain't saying your information
  • Esther Setterland: Very good information thanks so much!
  • Get Ready for Elections: Canada is No Exception - Canadian Personal Finance Blog: […] Fish had an interesting post about Top Ad Revenue Generating Blogs in Ottawa, where I was mentioned (shows how small the Ottawa market it, I
  • online games: obviously like your web-site however you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling proble

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our dog Piper who is kind of a big deal on Instagram. We also have two human offspring: Emma (24) and Sarah (22). During the day I work as a writer at the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

Still calling it Twitter