28 Feb, 2008

A bit about those brownies, directly from the horse’s mouth

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Multimedia experiments|Photography|Recipes and Food

Brownies - deceptively delicious

So, how did they turn out?

Emma tells all. Click below to listen to our interview.

(You get to hear my kooky laugh too. Wow. Do I really sound like that?)

This recipe is from Jessica Seinfeld’s cookbook, Deceptively Delicious. Here’s a link to an interview with the author, and the recipe is here. It’s a keeper for sure. (No matter what Emma says.)

I would love to get my hands on the book. Who has a copy? And do you like it? (More importantly, does it work?)

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "A bit about those brownies, directly from the horse’s mouth"

1 | Pamela

February 28th, 2008 at 9:48 am

The best price in town for this book is at Cosco(Kanata)

2 | porter

February 28th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

You do NOT have a kooky laugh?? I love that I know what your voice sounds like…although I have heard it before a long while ago when you had another audio clip. Now my voice? My voice is ugh, I sound like a ten year old and I talk really really quickly…arghhh. You did sound very Canadian I heard at least one ‘eh’ in there. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, these brownies sound like they were a hit and I might try the recipe…but my kids aren’t huge chocolate fans, it’s vanilla all the way. I’m going to check Costco for the book here anyway.
Oh and the belly warmers on your side bar, neat I like them too…couldn’t read the whole article because my gal wants the computer now!!!!

3 | Jay

February 28th, 2008 at 10:38 pm

You guys are adorable.
And those brownies are really making me wonder now!
Okay then. 6. :)

4 | scatteredmom

February 28th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Hee hee….she’s so cute….I was laughing by the end …”I’m not going higher then six!”

LOLOLOLOL

February 29th, 2008 at 10:55 am

The irony here is that Emma SAYS the brownies rate a six, yet she eats them with the gusto of a nine-point-five.

6 | smothermother

March 1st, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Love the audio clip. Very sneaky. I haven’t heard of anyone trying out the book. Would love to know what you think of it if you try it. It would be a good future reference. My guy is still too little to turn his nose up at anything.

7 | BeachMama

March 1st, 2008 at 3:47 pm

That is the cutest interview of Emma :). They have the book at Costco (cheap, cheap!). I keep wondering if we should get it but with Mr. Eats Nothing here I wonder if it would be a waste. I guess we could always use it for number two, hopefully she won’t be as fussy as her brother.

8 | Best brownies make for the best conversations >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 23rd, 2010 at 4:46 pm

[...] Moffatt, who blogs over at Ingredients For Life). Thanks Stefania! It sounds almost as good as the spinach and carrot brownies I made. [...]

9 | wendy

March 17th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

SO funny and cute!

I’m just getting this now?

I’ve seen the book at Costco and held it in my hand.
That’s as far as it got.
I almost bought it for my Daughter and Grandaughter.

I’m definatly going to try the brownies and NOT tell them until after what the secret ing are.
That was cute, really cute.

Have you tried Chocolate Zucchini cake? My family loves it!

And, you have a wonderful laugh!

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Animal Inside Out BodyWorlds, Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

bucketlist

• Louise: A very well-earned honour! What a great organization. I volunteered for years for Frontier College, who run free reading circles and homework clubs ar
  • Amanda: What a fantastic organization, I'd love to volunteer there some day. A timely read, too, because I have a bunch of baby clothes/ diapers/ etc. that my
  • Juli: when they forget points i send a email via app. they have been great so far. they xan look it up easily
  • Juli: I used to make sure I did my big monthly shop on the first Monday and Tuesday of each month. In addition to the special offers and in store offers Ext
  • Robyn: This sounds fun!! For long rides, comfort and weight make all the difference. If you're shopping for a new bike, hit the bike shops and try everyt
  • Judy: Go to a good bike shop to talk about what you want a bike for, how you will use it long term and see what they suggest. There are lots of options
  • Kerry Gogush Cule: I highly recommend getting your bike fitted properly. If you are interested, I can give you the name of the lady that my husband used. It was covered

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• So I was feeling a bit ranty and wrote this post about raising children in an age of zero privacy in the hopes it will start some conversations! Please leave your two cents right here.

- #
  • My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #
  • I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.