28 Feb, 2008

A bit about those brownies, directly from the horse’s mouth

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Multimedia experiments|Photography|Recipes and Food

Brownies - deceptively delicious

So, how did they turn out?

Emma tells all. Click below to listen to our interview.

(You get to hear my kooky laugh too. Wow. Do I really sound like that?)

This recipe is from Jessica Seinfeld’s cookbook, Deceptively Delicious. Here’s a link to an interview with the author, and the recipe is here. It’s a keeper for sure. (No matter what Emma says.)

I would love to get my hands on the book. Who has a copy? And do you like it? (More importantly, does it work?)

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "A bit about those brownies, directly from the horse’s mouth"

1 | Pamela

February 28th, 2008 at 9:48 am

The best price in town for this book is at Cosco(Kanata)

2 | porter

February 28th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

You do NOT have a kooky laugh?? I love that I know what your voice sounds like…although I have heard it before a long while ago when you had another audio clip. Now my voice? My voice is ugh, I sound like a ten year old and I talk really really quickly…arghhh. You did sound very Canadian I heard at least one ‘eh’ in there. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, these brownies sound like they were a hit and I might try the recipe…but my kids aren’t huge chocolate fans, it’s vanilla all the way. I’m going to check Costco for the book here anyway.
Oh and the belly warmers on your side bar, neat I like them too…couldn’t read the whole article because my gal wants the computer now!!!!

3 | Jay

February 28th, 2008 at 10:38 pm

You guys are adorable.
And those brownies are really making me wonder now!
Okay then. 6. :)

4 | scatteredmom

February 28th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Hee hee….she’s so cute….I was laughing by the end …”I’m not going higher then six!”

LOLOLOLOL

February 29th, 2008 at 10:55 am

The irony here is that Emma SAYS the brownies rate a six, yet she eats them with the gusto of a nine-point-five.

6 | smothermother

March 1st, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Love the audio clip. Very sneaky. I haven’t heard of anyone trying out the book. Would love to know what you think of it if you try it. It would be a good future reference. My guy is still too little to turn his nose up at anything.

7 | BeachMama

March 1st, 2008 at 3:47 pm

That is the cutest interview of Emma :). They have the book at Costco (cheap, cheap!). I keep wondering if we should get it but with Mr. Eats Nothing here I wonder if it would be a waste. I guess we could always use it for number two, hopefully she won’t be as fussy as her brother.

8 | Best brownies make for the best conversations >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 23rd, 2010 at 4:46 pm

[...] Moffatt, who blogs over at Ingredients For Life). Thanks Stefania! It sounds almost as good as the spinach and carrot brownies I made. [...]

9 | wendy

March 17th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

SO funny and cute!

I’m just getting this now?

I’ve seen the book at Costco and held it in my hand.
That’s as far as it got.
I almost bought it for my Daughter and Grandaughter.

I’m definatly going to try the brownies and NOT tell them until after what the secret ing are.
That was cute, really cute.

Have you tried Chocolate Zucchini cake? My family loves it!

And, you have a wonderful laugh!

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• Anjali: In honor of Earth day, and everyday, I recycle, pack re-usable containers, travel mug and light candles in the evening to conserve electricity. Th
  • Laura: We do the usual with lights, saving water etc... but some of the things I'm most proud of is we have a Nest thermometer which is "smart" and adjusts a
  • andrea: Thanks Jeff! I appreciate your taking the time to comment! Garbage and compost issues aren't top-of-mind for everyone, but they are important to me.
  • andrea: Lisa, I find the egg shells get crushed sufficiently as I poke and turn the pile. :)
  • Linda: The rain barrel is a must at our house, and we use cloth diapers for our kiddos.
  • Alina: Hi Andrea, I tried to find the ingredient list of their products on their website, but I could not find it. Could you help me, please?
  • Lisa from Iroquois: Do you break up your egg shells? I was surprized to discover they were not breaking down in my composter when I just tossed them in somewhat whole.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 655 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

A year before

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car