28 Feb, 2008

A bit about those brownies, directly from the horse’s mouth

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Multimedia experiments|Photography|Recipes and Food

Brownies - deceptively delicious

So, how did they turn out?

Emma tells all. Click below to listen to our interview.

(You get to hear my kooky laugh too. Wow. Do I really sound like that?)

This recipe is from Jessica Seinfeld’s cookbook, Deceptively Delicious. Here’s a link to an interview with the author, and the recipe is here. It’s a keeper for sure. (No matter what Emma says.)

I would love to get my hands on the book. Who has a copy? And do you like it? (More importantly, does it work?)

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "A bit about those brownies, directly from the horse’s mouth"

1 | Pamela

February 28th, 2008 at 9:48 am

The best price in town for this book is at Cosco(Kanata)

2 | porter

February 28th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

You do NOT have a kooky laugh?? I love that I know what your voice sounds like…although I have heard it before a long while ago when you had another audio clip. Now my voice? My voice is ugh, I sound like a ten year old and I talk really really quickly…arghhh. You did sound very Canadian I heard at least one ‘eh’ in there. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, these brownies sound like they were a hit and I might try the recipe…but my kids aren’t huge chocolate fans, it’s vanilla all the way. I’m going to check Costco for the book here anyway.
Oh and the belly warmers on your side bar, neat I like them too…couldn’t read the whole article because my gal wants the computer now!!!!

3 | Jay

February 28th, 2008 at 10:38 pm

You guys are adorable.
And those brownies are really making me wonder now!
Okay then. 6. :)

4 | scatteredmom

February 28th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Hee hee….she’s so cute….I was laughing by the end …”I’m not going higher then six!”

LOLOLOLOL

February 29th, 2008 at 10:55 am

The irony here is that Emma SAYS the brownies rate a six, yet she eats them with the gusto of a nine-point-five.

6 | smothermother

March 1st, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Love the audio clip. Very sneaky. I haven’t heard of anyone trying out the book. Would love to know what you think of it if you try it. It would be a good future reference. My guy is still too little to turn his nose up at anything.

7 | BeachMama

March 1st, 2008 at 3:47 pm

That is the cutest interview of Emma :). They have the book at Costco (cheap, cheap!). I keep wondering if we should get it but with Mr. Eats Nothing here I wonder if it would be a waste. I guess we could always use it for number two, hopefully she won’t be as fussy as her brother.

8 | Best brownies make for the best conversations >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 23rd, 2010 at 4:46 pm

[...] Moffatt, who blogs over at Ingredients For Life). Thanks Stefania! It sounds almost as good as the spinach and carrot brownies I made. [...]

9 | wendy

March 17th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

SO funny and cute!

I’m just getting this now?

I’ve seen the book at Costco and held it in my hand.
That’s as far as it got.
I almost bought it for my Daughter and Grandaughter.

I’m definatly going to try the brownies and NOT tell them until after what the secret ing are.
That was cute, really cute.

Have you tried Chocolate Zucchini cake? My family loves it!

And, you have a wonderful laugh!

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• skigurl: Hi Andrea. First off, thanks for sharing so openly and honestly in your post. I'm sorry for what happened to you. I'm glad you are having these conve
  • Chris Hayes: Very nice list! I just went to Lime Kiln Trail today with my dog.. needless to say she loved it. Thanks for the awesome suggestions, should keep m
  • Safe and Sound: Totally agree with lacoop. We're all trying to send positive discussions and examples while youtube/movies/advertising are full of absolutely vile, b
  • Lynn: I've been feeling very sad about the Jian story, combined with some other stories on CBC lately (did you hear about the hockey boys in BC who traded n
  • Stacey K: I think that we need to start conversations about consent with our kids as early as possible (not in a sexual context, but in a" its your body, you ha
  • lacoop: sigh...Sometimes I think things are getting better...and then other times I just wonder. This is a concern for us as well, with both a son and a daug
  • Tudor: So, I'm actually using the Jian thing as a chance to talk to my son about consent. There's been a lot of talk lately about positive consent, ever sinc

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 850 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: