28 Feb, 2008

A bit about those brownies, directly from the horse’s mouth

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Multimedia experiments|Photography|Recipes and Food

Brownies - deceptively delicious

So, how did they turn out?

Emma tells all. Click below to listen to our interview.

[audio:http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/voice/spinach-brownies.mp3]

(You get to hear my kooky laugh too. Wow. Do I really sound like that?)

This recipe is from Jessica Seinfeld’s cookbook, Deceptively Delicious. Here’s a link to an interview with the author, and the recipe is here. It’s a keeper for sure. (No matter what Emma says.)

I would love to get my hands on the book. Who has a copy? And do you like it? (More importantly, does it work?)

9 Responses to "A bit about those brownies, directly from the horse’s mouth"

1 | Pamela

February 28th, 2008 at 9:48 am

The best price in town for this book is at Cosco(Kanata)

2 | porter

February 28th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

You do NOT have a kooky laugh?? I love that I know what your voice sounds like…although I have heard it before a long while ago when you had another audio clip. Now my voice? My voice is ugh, I sound like a ten year old and I talk really really quickly…arghhh. You did sound very Canadian I heard at least one ‘eh’ in there. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, these brownies sound like they were a hit and I might try the recipe…but my kids aren’t huge chocolate fans, it’s vanilla all the way. I’m going to check Costco for the book here anyway.
Oh and the belly warmers on your side bar, neat I like them too…couldn’t read the whole article because my gal wants the computer now!!!!

3 | Jay

February 28th, 2008 at 10:38 pm

You guys are adorable.
And those brownies are really making me wonder now!
Okay then. 6. :)

4 | scatteredmom

February 28th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Hee hee….she’s so cute….I was laughing by the end …”I’m not going higher then six!”

LOLOLOLOL

February 29th, 2008 at 10:55 am

The irony here is that Emma SAYS the brownies rate a six, yet she eats them with the gusto of a nine-point-five.

6 | smothermother

March 1st, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Love the audio clip. Very sneaky. I haven’t heard of anyone trying out the book. Would love to know what you think of it if you try it. It would be a good future reference. My guy is still too little to turn his nose up at anything.

7 | BeachMama

March 1st, 2008 at 3:47 pm

That is the cutest interview of Emma :). They have the book at Costco (cheap, cheap!). I keep wondering if we should get it but with Mr. Eats Nothing here I wonder if it would be a waste. I guess we could always use it for number two, hopefully she won’t be as fussy as her brother.

8 | Best brownies make for the best conversations >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 23rd, 2010 at 4:46 pm

[…] Moffatt, who blogs over at Ingredients For Life). Thanks Stefania! It sounds almost as good as the spinach and carrot brownies I made. […]

9 | wendy

March 17th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

SO funny and cute!

I’m just getting this now?

I’ve seen the book at Costco and held it in my hand.
That’s as far as it got.
I almost bought it for my Daughter and Grandaughter.

I’m definatly going to try the brownies and NOT tell them until after what the secret ing are.
That was cute, really cute.

Have you tried Chocolate Zucchini cake? My family loves it!

And, you have a wonderful laugh!

terra20 Ottawa

National Arts Centre Ottawa

• 4,258 deaths: As a society we MUST talk about this. It's bad and getting worse. The C in LCBO is Control and yet their mandate seems to now be HEAVY PROMOTION o
  • andrea tomkins: Thanks all. It's a tough issue for sure. And it's not like I don't drink wine, I do (and beer, probably more beer) but I agree that a line has been cr
  • Marguerite: Your post rings for me. I worked as a psychotherapist in varous treatment centers in Ottawa for 20+ years, mostly in women only facilities and I have
  • Lynn: I also think it's crossed a line somewhere. It used to be you'd think about an evening out with your girlfriends, and having a glass of wine there mar
  • Tudor Robins: As a non-drinker, this type of merchandise seems a little baffling, somewhat sad, even a bit tacky; never cute, or cool, or particularly funny. But I
  • Cath in Ottawa: I'm really glad you wrote about this - I've been really conscious of this trend the last few months and have been trying to sort out my feelings about
  • Misty Pratt: I've written about this before too, but have focused more on the wine-drinking mom culture. And hey, I'm no innocent, because I partake and crack joke

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (17) and Sarah (15). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1550 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

On this date in the archives