11 Dec, 2008

The butcher, the baker, the cupcake maker

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Westboro|Photography|Recipes and Food

I love cupcakes. Scratch that. I love a small, delicious, perfectly decorated cupcake. And now I have a source.

Today’s SavvyMom is about a very sweet local cupcake-making business called The Ottawa Cupcakery. Lucky me, I was able to sample their wares for the article. And I was not disappointed.

Check this out:

A lovely little cupcake by the Ottawa Cupcakery

It’s cupcake art! (Which I stuck in an egg cup so you could get a better idea of the size.)

This is one of the Cupcakery’s mini cupcakes (a cupcakelet!) called “Fairy Princess.” It was the most popular flavour around here.

The Cupcakery ladies (Elizabeth, Julie, and Kerry) believe that cupcakes should taste great but also be pretty – truly food for the eye. I couldn’t agree more.

I really liked these cupcakes. I liked them a lot. In fact, I was CONVERTED. One of the cupcakes I taste-tested was a chocolate one, topped with a generous swirl of peanut-butter icing. If you know me you know that I’m not generally a fan of chocolate-flavoured goods. In fact, I’m a little funny about it. (Fudge? Yes. Chocolate cake? No. Brownies? Yes. Chocolate ice cream? No.) I wasn’t prepared to love their peanut-butter chocolate cupcakes as much as I did. They were delicious.

At the moment, cupcakery cupcakes are only available in two places:

• Place large-ish orders (i.e. a dozen or more) from their Etsy shop. I recommend you go this route if you’re having a party or are planning to give them away as gifts.
  • If you only want a couple, or taste-test first, The Candy Store in Westboro is the only place you can get them in person. BUT, as I mentioned in the article, they are a special item. They are delivered Saturday mornings (look for a couple of big glass domes at the front counter) and disappear quickly. It seems as if the latte-drinking-yoga-wearing-masses of Westboro like their cupcakes … a lot.  (I count myself as one of the latte-swilling masses.)

I believe in the power of cupcakes. I believe! If you try one for yourself I’m sure you will too.

6 Responses to "The butcher, the baker, the cupcake maker"

1 | Rachel Kramer Bussel

December 11th, 2008 at 11:07 am

That is one of the most beautiful cupcake photos I’ve ever seen! So glad it tasted as good as it looks.

2 | J.

December 11th, 2008 at 11:55 am

I can’t wait to try one of those cupcakes! Too bad it takes 72 hours in advance to order them. I would have gotten some for my Saturday christmas party.

Speaking of Christmas parties…

You have been invited to The 1st Annual Ottawa Blogger Virtual Christmas Party!

This virtual event is taking place on December 16m 2008.

For more information on this event, please visit the http://pleasepickupyoursocks.wordpress.com blog.

We hope to see you there!

A & J

3 | Miss Vicky

December 12th, 2008 at 9:37 am

Damn, I wish G would grow out of his dairy allergy, already!

4 | Chantal

December 12th, 2008 at 11:31 am

I was reading the article in Savvy mom yesterday and I scrolled down to see who wrote it and I started to chuckle. You get all the sweet gigs doncha! LOL

5 | Julie, Elizabeth and Kerry

December 29th, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Hello from the Ottawa Cupcakery! Thank you Andrea for posting such a wonderful picture of our Fairy Princess cupcake! We’re glad you enjoyed them.

In honour of Quietfish we’d like to offer readers a discount on cupcake orders placed through Etsy or at ottawacupcakery@gmail.com. Until March 1, 2009 a box of our delicious cupcakes will be $32 – just mention Quietfish in your email!

Happy holidays and all the very best in 2009,

Julie, Elizabeth and Kerry

6 | savvymomdotca

January 5th, 2009 at 10:47 am

Thanks so much for mentioning Savvymom! I wish those cupcakes were available in TO:(.

Thanks again,
Christina

• lose weight: Divorce,drama, loss of a job, health problems about yourself or someone you worry about - these items happen. ''For starters, the way the Diet Solutio
  • Claudette: I love your little list every weekend! As I've mentioned, I too have started doing something similar, and some of my followers are commenting how much
  • Misty: I also have trouble with the things I need to do, but don't want to do (including a new pair of glasses) I did finally check off submitting a warranty
  • Claudette: That is wonderful to hear! I'm the same with wheat and sugar, so if I plan a spaghetti dinner i know that all day that day I will not have any wheat p
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive The January reset continues - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] other day I posted about some promises I made to myself and we are ten days into the month so I wanted to share a small update. To summariz
  • Jinjer: Ohhhhhh!!!! The little jars/tins are so cute and I love the box! All those tea flavors sound tasty. I definitely want this and my Mom DID just ask me
  • Claudette: My 16yo niece all the way out on the west coast loves David's Tea stuff. So I get her gift cards from there...pretty good gift idea for a teen, don't

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.