06 Feb, 2009

Valentine’s Day: what type are you?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Yaktivism

valentines 09

We don’t do very much for Valentine’s Day. Mark and I buy ourselves some really good chocolates, we have a nice dinner (more on that later!), the kids make cards and exchange them at school, but that’s about it.

This year I decided to start a new tradition: I’m donating blood. (My bloodtype is AB+ and apparently that makes me pretty awesome!)

I submitted my info on the Canadian Blood Services website last week, and within a day or two someone contacted me and an appointment was made.

It’d make me really happy if someone out there would consider giving blood this Valentine’s Day too… or at least blogging or tweeting or emailing someone about it.

How about it? I know it might be a little late in the game, but can you help me with a little bloggy blood drive?

21 Responses to "Valentine’s Day: what type are you?"

1 | Mary Lynn

February 6th, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Would if I could. Lived in the UK for four months in 1992 and am now barred from giving blood. I used to give regularly. I know they have reasons for being so cautious, but it bums me out that I can’t give anymore.

2 | Krista

February 6th, 2009 at 5:06 pm

I’m in! Actually I made an appointment yesterday to go on Feb 18. I donated for the first time last November and my goal for 2009 is to donate every 3 months.

3 | Soire

February 6th, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I’m not allowed :( I flagged a false pos. when I was pregnant with my first (and didn’t know I was preg yet) and they barred me forever.

Understandable, but still :(

4 | Chantal

February 6th, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Thats a great idea. I just may give it a whirl!

5 | Sheila D

February 6th, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Great idea. I gave in January and must wait a bit before I donate again.

6 | EmmyB

February 7th, 2009 at 9:39 am

I’m a big fan of the Blood Services – they used to pay me! Unfortunately, I lived a couple of years in the UK, so also can’t donate.

Do check out the bone marrow and stem cell registry information (OneMatch) on http://www.bloodservices.ca as well.

7 | Ginger

February 7th, 2009 at 11:45 am

I have never given blood. But I have been thinking about it since the boys have been born. I have a hard time with needles…but…if I can have surgery then I should be able to handle 10 minutes of donating blood. I am in. I am making an appointment!

8 | porter

February 7th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

I used to donate blood regularly, can’t remember when that stopped…I think when I worked for two bosses who frowned on their staff taking lunch!!
I would be in but I can’t swing it by Valentines day. I know it doesn’t take that long but it’s something I have to fit into my already too tight schedule between now and then….BUT I will do it before the end of Feb (if there is a clinic or if I can get an appointment). I have no probs donating blood…not even a prob with the fact that most of the time when I do I end up with huge bruises up and down my arm (it’s true).

9 | Tali

February 7th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I used to be a regular, but will probably wait until I’m done nursing…who knows when that’ll be!

10 | Ginger

February 7th, 2009 at 10:26 pm

So I did it! My husband and I both have appointments for 2pm on Valentine’s Day. It is the only time he is available to go all week because of all the high school sports going on right now.

February 7th, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Yay! You guys are the best!

12 | Wendy

February 7th, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Was about to stick my hand up but what’s all this about living in the UK?

I’m a Brit (Can’t help it, I was born that way) Does that disqualify me. I’m O-ve and know that it’s rare-ish.

More info anyone? Don’t want to schlep along and be turned down.

Wendy

February 8th, 2009 at 8:49 am

I didn’t actually see anything about the UK thing on the page about basic eligibility … but it might be best to call. 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283).

14 | Mark

February 8th, 2009 at 9:05 am

From the Canadian Blood services website:

“People are not eligible to donate blood or plasma if they have spent a cumulative total of three months or more in the United Kingdom (U.K.) between January 1980, and December 31, 1996, or if they have spent a cumulative total of three months or more in France between January 1980, and December 31, 1996, or if they have spent a cumulative total of five years or more in Western Europe outside the U.K. or France since 1980. In addition, people will no longer be eligible to donate blood or plasma if they have had a blood transfusion in the U.K., France or Western Europe since 1980. This is owing to the risk of transmission of variant Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease (vCJD) through blood.”

15 | Mike Gifford

February 8th, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I’m lined up to give blood on Monday morning (just by coincidence). I’m O-, babies blood I think they call it. Great for everyone else I think.

16 | Mom on the Go

February 9th, 2009 at 9:05 am

Thanks for the reminder! I’m not eligible until the 16th but I hadn’t remembered to make an appointment.

For Tali: the Blood Services site says breastfeeding women can donate after 6 months. I used blood donation as a guilt-free reason to get out of the house alone when my daughter was young. No one hardly talks to you, they certainly don’t ask for anything and they give you cookies and doughnuts at the end ;+)

17 | Melissa

February 9th, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I don’t go anymore because I always get my finger pricked and then they inform me loudly that I’m not permitted to give blood because my iron levels are always too low. It was always a little embarrasing :) My iron is always low and sometimes requires supplements but generally not a worry for my doc, but blood services always rejects it.

I’ve not gone for years ‘tho so maybe I should try again – I’ll be inspired and let you know what happens. If I get finger pricked and they reject me ‘tho – you owe me a cookie andrea!

18 | Summer day camps for Ottawa kids? >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 10th, 2009 at 9:29 am

[…] p.s. Can you spare a pint? Don’t forget about the Valentine’s Day bloggy blood drive! […]

19 | Getting ready for Valentine’s Day >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 12th, 2009 at 1:17 pm

[…] giving blood tonight (you can too!) which I have decided is my new Valentine’s day tradition. I am a little nervous about this […]

20 | Valentine’s Day >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 14th, 2009 at 11:07 am

[…] all my talk about donating blood for Valentine’s Day there I was, walking out. Rejected! I was pretty disappointed. Apparently my iron is too low. […]

21 | Is it really only Wednesday? >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 10th, 2010 at 8:58 am

[…] was set to donate blood last night (remember last year’s Valentine’s Day blood drive?) but decided to re-check my eligibility on the website beforehand. Turns out I can’t give […]

• Mort: I'm usually very good but was gripped with mild panic at the drug store Saturday when I suddenly realized I'd forgotten my mask. Normally there's a ba
  • Michael: You could mix up all your ingredients and form the dough, cover the put it in the fridge. This will cause the dough to perform a slow rise, so if done
  • Sally Dowe Marchand: Wow. Well done. I too have done something as absent-minded as walking into a store and taking my mask off. Inside right so remove it. I immediately re
  • sassygirl: i like hearing your voice on the browser version. it’s well done! (:
  • Sally Dowe Marchand: Oh dear. I am so not there yet. I was making my way hastily through Loblaws the other day and suddenly it dawned on me it was Christmas music playing.
  • Nicole MacPherson: Oh, I totally understand. I have found myself tearing up in public places when particular songs come on. I love Christmas music and I rarely think it'
  • peter: Absolutely love the audio version - you are a natural!