15 May, 2010

Eleven

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy

It’s Emma’s birthday today.

She chose to have her birthday party last night. I have to say, Friday night parties are great for this age. It was a casual pj/dinner/movie party. Six friends came over to eat meatballs, watch Grease, and eat cake.

This year it was a panda cake. :)

Emma's 11th cake

The party was great. Everyone seemed to have a great time – and it was fairly low-maintenance from our perspective. (Yay!)

In lieu of loot bags I bought EcoJot sketchbooks for everyone and wrapped each one up in pretty paper. Each girl went home with it as a parting gift along with a helium balloon.

And today she’s officially 11. I can’t believe how quickly the time has flown by. This was my first baby, and here she is, blowing out 11 candles and not setting any pandas aflame …

11 candles

… and eating breakfast in bed.

breakfast in bed

Happy Birthday Emma. You are my favourite big girl.

As for today, birthday celebrations continue! And tomorrow I will tell you a bit about the 40Back event I attended on Thursday night.

8 Responses to "Eleven"

1 | Scatteredmom

May 15th, 2010 at 11:11 am

Sounds like a lot of fun. :) Happy Birthday Emma!

2 | Ginger

May 15th, 2010 at 11:25 am

Happy Birthday Emma! I hope you have a perfectly lovely day!

3 | Brie

May 15th, 2010 at 11:27 am

Happy birthday to her!

And awesome cake.

4 | Lee

May 15th, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Happy Birthday Emma!

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate!

5 | mrsgryphon

May 15th, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Happy Birthday, Emma! 11 year olds have the best birthday parties :)

6 | Kristina

May 16th, 2010 at 6:20 pm

SO wonderful. Happy 11, Emma!! :)

7 | BeachMama

May 17th, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Happy Birthday Emma! Looks like you had a wonderful day, starting off with breakfast in bed and finishing with a yummy panda cake. Hope you had a great time with your friends.

8 | Vicky

May 17th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Breakfast in bed? You are AWESOME Andrea! I’m so going to do that for my kids!

• FD: We love puzzles and my kids have been talking non-stop about exploding kittens so the exploding kittens puzzle ticks off two things on our list all in
  • Nora: Posted on FB too! ; )
  • Nora: I have a llama fanatic so that windup toy would be a bit! I love Tiggywinkles for stocking stuffers, games and puzzles. Thanks for the opportunity!
  • Jacquie: Posted on Facebook too. :)
  • Jacquie: We would finally get Settlers of Catan! I have heard so much about it and think our family would love it.
  • Dani: Stocking Stuffers for my impossible to shop for kids ?
  • Pearl: Star Trek cats & iron on patches. Might browse costumes too.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.