19 Jun, 2010

Random thoughts over Saturday coffee

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

• Mark is golfing. He was up at 5:15 this morning. He has an astonishing ability to launch himself out of bed when there’s a game pending, but getting up for work? THAT IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY.
  • Re: my YSB post from the other day. Oh my goodness. THANK YOU. I have to confess that I was afraid of writing it all up, presenting my Ask, and no one replying. You brought tears to my eyes and made me feel weepy on SEVERAL occasions over the past couple of days. Thank you for your generous donations so far and for your tweets and retweets. I have been asked to talk about harnessing social media for fundraising purposes at our next board meeting. FEEL YOUR POWER people!
  • I’m slowly gearing up to go to BlogHer 2010 in NEW YORK CITY in August. I’ve never been to NYC! I wasn’t going to go at first, but was later convinced otherwise.*  For those of who aren’t in the know, BlogHer is a conference about blogging. Little did I know that someday my scribblings in this tiny little corner of the internet would lead me New York City to talk and learn about the art (and business!) of blogging. Life is weird. And kind of amazing.
  • I spent a solid 30 minutes digging through my computer archives this morning, looking for my earliest blog posting. The earliest I could find was from May 10, 1999 and I’m not even sure if it was the first one. So that means (a) my archives are a mess and I will never be able to post them (although I doubt anyone cares to read back that far) (b) I missed my 11th blogiversary! (c) I’ve been doing this a VERY long time. I realized that four blogs I started reading around that time are still around: Mighty Girl, Loobylu, Not Martha, and Dooce. Those women inspired me to start documenting my own life and are part of the reason I am here today. (Who inspired you?)
  • Speaking of inspiration, have I mentioned I have been, um, jogging? Ginger provided the kick in the pants that I needed. More about that later.
  • I have a huge series of blog posts brewing in my head. I just need time to get them down. *sigh*

Ok. Time to snap into action! Father’s Day is tomorrow and we have stuff to do.

Happy weekend everyone!

* Thank you to my dear husband, who said it was okay for me to go, even though BlogHer is on our wedding anniversary. (I’m not kidding.)

6 Responses to "Random thoughts over Saturday coffee"

1 | Ron

June 19th, 2010 at 9:44 am

Re: NYc- Pack extra cash for shopping. I know you’ll say you can control yourself, but you won’t be able to.

June 19th, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I’m not bringing cash, just plastic!

3 | betsy mae

June 19th, 2010 at 7:38 pm

so many things to comment about in one post!

ginger has done an amazing job at starting and sticking too exercise…all on her own!! that is pretty awesome. good for you for starting to run too.

i’ve never been to NYC either, want to take me in your suitcase?

who inspired me to start blogging (when i do blog)? nadine over at martinis for milk, her blog was one of the first that i read and i think that’s how i found you!

4 | Lee

June 20th, 2010 at 9:22 am

Happy blogiversary!

(And I’ve promoted your YSB post over at my blog.)

5 | Rebecca

June 21st, 2010 at 10:15 am

I may try this – I have radishes looking for a home.

6 | Rebecca

June 21st, 2010 at 10:17 am

Okay, posted comment on the wrong post. Awesome. That should be over at your radish sandwich post of course.

I too know about blog posts sitting in draft form or just in my head but not able to find the time to write them in full. I mean, I can’t even comment on other blogs in my half-asleep state apparently!

terra20 Ottawa

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• andrea tomkins: We have a winner! It's commenter #3, Sarah, who wrote: My daughter’s (6 and 3) love the My Generation dolls and accessories! I would use the gift
  • andrea tomkins: Comments are closed to new entries. Stay tuned for the winner!
  • Angela Emerson: I'm eyeing the B.Hellophone & B.Fun Keys ... those are necessary items sooner than later for our 20mth old who's obsessed with hitting all the ala
  • Sonia: I commented on Facebook as well:)
  • Sonia: If I won I would purchase a family board game-Things In a Box looks like a fun game:)
  • Donna Hynes: Love the Melissa and Doug hangman game !! Getting it even if I don't win !!
  • Kimberley Graham: First thing I would buy with the GC would be https://mrs.tiggywinkles.ca/collections/4th-birthday/products/snoopy-sno-cone-machine. I have been lookin

On this date in the archives