08 Nov, 2011

The never-ending onion machine

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

Perpetual onions!

I use a lot of green onions (a.k.a. scallions) here at Casa Fishbowl. Green onions are milder than regular onions. I like to chop up the green part and use it as a flavourful garnish for soups, stews, Asian dishes and even meatloaf. I usually discard the whites, but I have used them to pep up stir fries and hamburgers.

So yes, there’s almost always a bunch of green onions in our veggie drawer. I pick up a bunch up every time I shop, which means that sometimes I buy too many because I forget I already have some. The sad result of this grocery-related amnesia means that innocent rapscallions are left to die a slow and soggy death in the fridge.

Let’s stop the senseless murder of fresh vegetables!

This is a very simple idea that I spotted on Pinterest the other day, and it really appeals to the frugal and foodie side of me: PERPETUAL ONIONS. It makes storing green onions a snap. Plus, it makes more green onions!

Just over a week ago the green onions in this photo were chopped down to centimetre or two above where the white part ends. I used the dark green parts in a recipe and put the rest (roots n’ all) into a glass of water, placed it on a sunny windowsill in my kitchen – and look – Pinterest didn’t lie! They grew!

I change the water every day and snip off what I need with kitchen scissors. Voila! No more soggy rapscallions in the veggie drawer. Pretty cool eh?

14 Responses to "The never-ending onion machine"

1 | binki

November 8th, 2011 at 11:05 am

You’re a genius. This is why I peek inside the fishbowl.

2 | Wendy [mapsgirl]

November 8th, 2011 at 11:11 am

I found this exact same thing on Pinterest and repinned it. It’s brilliant!!

November 8th, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thank you binki!
Wendy, it is brilliant, which is why I had to share!

4 | Giulia

November 8th, 2011 at 11:47 am

Great idea – funny though, I usually use the white part and discard the green, so this would not work as well for me ;)

5 | Susan

November 8th, 2011 at 11:55 am

Interesting. Will have to try that out tonight & put it next to my indoor parsley. :)

6 | Moneca Kaiser

November 8th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

delightful post, funny and I learnt a new word rapscallions and also to grow them, Thanks Andrea!

7 | Mary @ Parenthood

November 9th, 2011 at 12:42 am

How long can they go without snipping? (I’d like to try this but I can’t imagine using so many that I’d feel compelled to buy some every shopping trip!

8 | An easy recipe for beef stew >> a peek inside the fishbowl

November 15th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

[…] Those green onions – they are Best Supporting Actor. (They’re the ones I grew!) […]

9 | Katherine

November 19th, 2011 at 7:14 pm

love this!!! thanks for posting!!!

10 | Annie @ PhD in Parenting

December 6th, 2011 at 9:14 am

This is great! Except that I *love* the white parts, so it would be hard to part with them. I guess I could sacrifice once or twice to keep the onions coming.

11 | Breadless sandwiches and riceless sushi >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 18th, 2012 at 7:46 am

[…] one piece of green onion (it was going crazy on my windowsill) […]

12 | Keep cilantro fresh! How to store this fresh herb to prevent premature rotting >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 20th, 2013 at 9:03 am

[…] is almost as exciting as my perpetual green onions! I love saving money in the kitchen, don’t […]

13 | Erin

June 21st, 2013 at 9:31 pm

This is awesome. I am totally doing this. :)

14 | andrea tomkins

January 24th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

They last ages this way. WEEKS!

• Horse Racing Tips: Very interesting subject, thank you for putting up.
  • Alison in Ottawa: I was disappointed to find out the minimum age is 16. While it makes sense, we will have to wait for a while before we go.
  • andrea tomkins: Claudette: I left it for a few months and am actually just giving in another read through now and making a few more changes before a friend reads it o
  • joy: does Piper ever get ticks? I hate those little b*st*rds. we are forever finding them on our dog. in fact, the vet says one of ours has Lyme disease
  • Claudette: ya. ;) Are you still writing your embargo book?
  • andrea tomkins: Thanks Claudette! Some short thoughts in return: - The eldest daughter and I have virtually eliminated beef from our diet, although I can't say t
  • Claudette: I really enjoy these weekend reading posts, I'm glad you keep doing them! Here's my view on some of the articles: I like meat and won't be giving i

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.