25 Apr, 2012

The Ultimate Ottawa bucket list

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Ottawa

Peace Tower, Parliament Hill Ottawa

This post had been rolling around in my head for awhile but then when I saw this article in the Globe and Mail I knew I had to finally finish it. I always thought it’d be kind of cool to create a collection of “must see must do” things in the Ottawa area, although as I started writing this life list I quickly realized that there was a lot to be said for Gatineau, the Ottawa Valley, and a bit beyond. I’m sure there are things I’m missing, so please let me know in the comments and I will add them.

I think if someone has done everything on this list they will have experienced Ottawa to the fullest.

Note: links go to past posts or to resources elsewhere on the web.

What’s missing from the ultimate Ottawa bucket list? Let me know and I’ll add it. :)

NEWSFLASH! Want to keep this list with you? Make it into a faux-app! On your iPhone, navigate to this post with your browser. Tap the icon of the box with the arrow in it, and select “Add to Home Screen.” Change the text to something memorable like “Ottawa bucket list.” This will create an easy link right to this post.

Also worth noting, if you use Evernote you can add clip this page and create an editable note, that way you can cross things off and add to it!

Print this post Print this post

47 Responses to "The Ultimate Ottawa bucket list"

1 | Nadine

April 25th, 2012 at 7:32 am

Summerfest: Check out The Ottawa Fringe Festival!

2 | Giulia

April 25th, 2012 at 7:42 am

Love the list. I’ve been here only 8 years and have done most of the things on your list – not bad!
Do a boat tour on the canal and/or river.
Experience Canada day on a boat – amazing to see the fireworks.
I would have added – take the Wakefield train (not possible anymore?)
Have dim sum in China town and pasta in Little Italy
Take a double decker bus tour.
BTW – I got married at Billings Estate – amazing!

3 | OttMomGo

April 25th, 2012 at 7:51 am

Great list! Ottawa offers so much and so I’d add the Bytown Museum, the Terry Fox statue (bonus points if you’ve just done the Terry Fox run), NAC – Nutcracker, Family Adventures Orchestra series, Kinderconcerts, theatre, GCTC theatre, Performances at the Shenkman, especially Rag and an Bone or Orleans Young Players, performance at Centrepointe, Buskers Festival, Chicken and Ribs Festival, riding the O-train (just because), taking an amphibus or double-decker tour.

But if I could add just one: see the Books of Remembrance – especially when a family member’s name is shown or when your family name is up. (info on website)

4 | Catherine

April 25th, 2012 at 8:00 am

Roll out to Arnprior and enjoy some Wes’ chips while picnicking by the river. :) Add a Frisbee and you’ve acquired perfection.

5 | Pamela

April 25th, 2012 at 8:02 am

Herbfest at the Herb Garden near Almonte in July.
An amazing day filled with a little bit of everything,hers,great food, gardening tips, unusual vendors…we never miss it

6 | Pamela

April 25th, 2012 at 8:03 am

That would be herbs…oops

7 | Megan

April 25th, 2012 at 10:05 am

What about the Haunted Walk? You get to hear all the gossip about Ottawa in the old days.

8 | Cath

April 25th, 2012 at 10:44 am

Or looking at your ancestor’s original WW1 military records at Library and Archives Canada. Or starting your genealogy in the genealogy room at Library and Archives Canada on Wellington st.

9 | krista

April 25th, 2012 at 11:33 am

What a FABULOUS list! thanks so much :) If I could suggest an addition or three…

Attend the National Peace and Police Officers Memorial service on Parliament Hill, the fourth Sunday in September, every year. http://www.cacp.ca/memorial

Follow a boat up or down the Locks by the Chateau Laurier

Shakespeare in the Park! I wish we were going to be in Ottawa for it this year. http://www.ottawafestivals.ca/festival/literary-thought/torchlight-shakespeare-antony-and-cleopatra/

I may think of more :)

10 | alison

April 25th, 2012 at 11:38 am

- Eat a Beavertail on the Canal while skating.
- Revisit the Cold War at the Diefenbunker Museum in Carp.
- Eat bacon-on-a-bun and Mali’s Thai springrolls at the Carp Farmers’ Market. (http://www.carpfarmersmarket.com/vendors/vendors.htm)
- Bingo! Play drive-in bingo at the Fairgrounds in Carp (Wednesday evenings in July). It’s been going on for nearly 60 years! http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/features/favouriteplaces/story.html?id=7eabba0a-b254-4f95-aac7-86e0d8ee45f5
- Go to the fair! Many towns have fairs in the summer and fall. See the horses and cows, see the prize-winning pies and jam. Ride the ferris wheel. Richmond, Carp, Navan and many other towns a short drive from Ottawa have fairs.
(http://ottawastart.com/fairs.php)

OK, this list is a bit Carp-centric, but it’s where we live and these are the things we like to do.

11 | alison p-h

April 25th, 2012 at 11:50 am

This is awesome! I have just added this to Evernote, titled “Ottawa bucket list”. I will enjoy reviewing it to see what I have done. Thanks!

12 | Ginger

April 25th, 2012 at 11:53 am

Great list! I’m going to have a whole slew of new ideas for this summer’s entertainment.

A few I thought of: Check out Mosaika on Parliament Hill, catch one of the noontime concerts under the bridge downtown, and check out an outdoor flick at Centretown movies at Dundonald Park. Play in the fountains on Sparks Street and visit the hidden courtyards (one behind City Hall and a few in the Market area). Take in an IMAX movie. Look for the swans over the Vanier bridge. Check out Watson’s Mill in Manotick.

14 | Amy

April 25th, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love the Sir Galahad statue!

15 | Ginger

April 25th, 2012 at 11:55 am

Oh yeah! And check out CHEO’s annual Teddy Bear Picnic!

16 | Misty Pratt

April 25th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

This is an awesome list. I was surprised to see how many I’ve done! But still LOTS more on there to try :)

17 | Bonnie

April 25th, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Am reading this on my phone, so I may just have missed it, but what about the Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Fest? Also Geocaching is a huge sport.

18 | Tricia

April 25th, 2012 at 12:36 pm

You have to check out Fortissimo on Parliament Hill in August. It is a musical spectacular featuring military bands from around the world. This links to last years event, but it gives you an idea.

Also on Parliament Hill, check out the “whispering wall” – the curved wall with statues of Baldwin and Lafontaine towering over you. If you and a friend stand or sit at either end you can hear what the other person whispers.

19 | Sean

April 25th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Sugarbush (Stanley’s, perhaps)?

20 | binki

April 25th, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Excellent List! Thanks.

You forgot a superb place for exploring, walking in shallow Ottawa River, picnicking, fishing and watching those who dare to ride “the wall”.

Bate Island (Champlain Bridge)

21 | binki

April 25th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Oops. Bate Island was there after all. Sorry.

22 | Nick B

April 25th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Explore: go hiking in the woods near Nepean Point/National Art Gallery – some fence climbing may be required…

23 | Taryn

April 25th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

What a great list, I’ve never even heard of some of these things! This is a great resource to have in hand when people comment that Ottawa is boring!

24 | Erin

April 25th, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Participate or be a Spectator at: Ottawa Race Weekend!

25 | Jen Hughes

April 25th, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Seconding the suggestion for a sugar bush in the spring.

Also: Capital City Speedway (off Hwy. 7 just west of Stittsville) for some good ol’ stock car racing or even a demolition derby. Great fun with young boys! ;) (Tip: wear earplugs.) http://www.capitalcityspeedway.ca

26 | Martina

April 26th, 2012 at 7:02 am

What a great list!! Your site has so much information for local activities … love it. Definitely want to check out the caves. Come out to Kemptville for the Dandelion Festival http://www.thedandelionfestival.ca

27 | Carcar

April 26th, 2012 at 9:29 am

Check out http://www.eco-odyssee.ca Educational clues guide you through the huge maze that you navigate on a paddle boat. The area’s best kept secret!

28 | binki

April 26th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

From the Globe list.
9. Eat an apple straight from a tree

One of my favourite fall activities is to go pick and eat an apple off a local apple tree. And there are plenty in Ottawa area.

29 | TatianaDokuchic

April 26th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Wow – what a great list!

I’ve been in Ottawa almost 30 years now & have done quite a few things listed here but you’ve given me inspriation for many more.

I’ll add something that I get to enjoy on a regular basis.

Take a hike through the South March Highlands. Just 20 minutes from Parliment Hill, this old-growth forest was just recognized as one of the “Great Places in Canada” http://www.cip-icu.ca/greatplaces/en/place.asp?id=6025

30 | BeachMama

April 27th, 2012 at 9:39 am

Great list Andrea!! Can I add the Mint? (I didn’t see it, but maybe I missed it) and taking a boat ride on the Canal, is a fabulous trip or better yet, rent a canoe and do it yourself!

31 | AMD @ A Mom's Dime

April 27th, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I love your list – I’ve grown up in Westboro and never knew there were hidden ruins at the beach! I also had no idea that Westgate was Ottawa’s oldest shopping center.

a couple of my favourites (forgive me if I missed them on the list already, it sure is extensive!)

-walk, shop & eat in Westboro/Wellington Village
-take your dog swimming at Lemieux Island
-do a night cross-country ski into one of the lodges in Gatineau…don’t forget your dinner that you can heat over the fire and a bottle of wine!

32 | Tara

April 29th, 2012 at 9:27 am

Okay, I’m with you. Just picked up your commit to comment on twitter. Just having moved to Ottawa from Vancouver this past summer, you’re Ottawa bucket list will come in handy. Thank you!

33 | Ginger

April 30th, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Love this list so much, I just perused it again! Came up with a few more things: Juliana Park for the Victoria Day Festival, visit Les Chutes de Coulonge for aerial park adventures, go tubing at Pakenham or Ange Gardien in Quebec, visit the only sugarbush within the city at Vanier’s Museoparc, take in the Highland Games at Maxville, Strathcona Park, visit the Oscar Peterson statue at the NAC for a photo op, check out the Governor General’s free Summertime Concerts and the NAC’s Orchestras in the Park. Be sure to see the City’s Christmas parade. Take in an Eddie May’s Murder Mystery Dinner at Scarlett’s or enjoy the cabaret show at Ferme Rouge. Hmmm…I think that’s it for now!

34 | Ginger

April 30th, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Oh, and do an Urban Quest around the city!

June 4th, 2012 at 10:02 am

These are all fantastic suggestions everyone! Thank you!

36 | A Canada Day bike ride down the river >> a peek inside the fishbowl

July 1st, 2012 at 4:09 pm

[...] Looking for other fun activities and events in Ottawa? You might want to check out the ultimate Ottawa Bucket List! [...]

37 | A summer day at Saunders Farm >> a peek inside the fishbowl

July 4th, 2012 at 8:57 am

[...] Looking for other fun activities and events in Ottawa? You might want to check out the ultimate Ottawa Bucket List! [...]

38 | A walkabout at Andrew Haydon Park >> a peek inside the fishbowl

July 6th, 2012 at 8:04 am

39 | Gaby

January 28th, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Thanks for this great list! I’m travelling to Ottawa soon and will take a look at quite a few of these things.

Just wanted to let you know that the Cats on Parliament Hill sanctuary has been shut down (January 2013), and all animals have been adopted out. The decision to shut it down was made by the volunteers who gave their time to the sanctuary. As much as I would have loved to have seen the animals it’s much better for them to be safe inside in loving homes!

40 | Colleen

March 6th, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Head out to Almonte for Puppets Up! Usually the second weekend in August with buskers, puppets from near and far, and a parade. http://www.puppetsup.ca (I think)

41 | Trevor

April 7th, 2013 at 11:21 am

Lafleche Arial Park is no longer in Operation, as well as the Wakefield Train. Hopefully these 2 options get back up and running in the future.

42 | Do you have a summer bucket list? >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 8th, 2013 at 11:40 am

[...] for Ottawa-specific things to see and do? I got ya covered right with my Ottawa Bucket List. I’d really like to hear what’s your YOUR list this summer! Rain or shine, what are [...]

43 | Summer of Awesome 2013 | TurtleHead

June 10th, 2013 at 1:42 pm

[...] Last year I posted a comprehensive list of everything I had ever once remotely considered booking for the Summer of Awesome, but this year I am going to cheat and say that if you are looking for ideas, you can check out last year’s post, and also Andrea’s all-encompassing Ottawa Bucket List. [...]

44 | Sandy

June 10th, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Thank you! Great list!! I’m going to bookmark this and go through it again later. My eyes are tired so I may have missed it but, you could add Sky Zone. I just took our little guy there the other day and he loved it..and so did I, lol. Jumped on trampolines for a whole hour. We were BOTH exhausted after. A great place to take the kids!

45 | Nikki

August 22nd, 2013 at 7:44 am

Hi Andrea,
Just came to peruse your list as I’m at loose ends with the kids today. I think we may head to the Diefenbunker! I just caught a couple things you may want to change on the list.
1) The flame on Parliament Hill is the Centennial Flame, not the Eternal Flame. (I was once a Parliamentary tour guide, my head is full of Parliamentary trivia!)
2) The Currency Museum is temporarily closed as the Bank of Canada building is undergoing renovations for the next few years. There is, however, a travelling exhibit from the Bank of Canada that is currently on display at the Science and Tech Museum.
Thanks again for this great list – always my first stop when I’m trying to figure out what to do for a day!

46 | Cally

December 1st, 2013 at 2:38 pm

What an absolutely fabulous list of activities! For an update, Storyland, up past Renfrew, has closed. They sold all the fairytale characters this year.

47 | Joy

July 12th, 2014 at 12:45 am

Yoga at parliament hill every Wednesday. Lebanese Festival. Great list :).

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

bucketlist

etc.

• Shawna: I've always loved this museum!
  • LouiseL.: The brunch menu sounds amazing including the pumpkin cheesecake ...yummy! Haven't been to the Museum of Nature recently so this would be extra specia
  • Carolyn: We love the beautiful atrium and can't wait to see which next huge animal will be placed inside. The dinosaurs are always a must but we like our bugs
  • Laura at the Museum of Nature: Love all the great comments. Thank you everyone. Some of the highlights of the brunch buffet will be a Gourmet egg and crepe station, turkey carver
  • Lisa: Birds, Nature Club, everything. It's our favorite museum and one of our favorite rainy day escapes.
  • Javamom: The blogging becomes a slog thing was an awesome read! (I saw it last week and passed it on to a friend in Germany). Great reading minds!
  • andrea tomkins: Hey! I'm so glad to hear that it worked out for your family Stefania!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 819 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: