09 May, 2012

Please finish this sentence:

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Please finish this sentence

My favourite smell is…

(This is one of mine, along with freshly mown grass and BBQ briquettes drenched in lighter fluid. Ahhhh.)

crab apple blossoms

Tags: ,

17 Responses to "Please finish this sentence:"

1 | Katy

May 9th, 2012 at 10:28 am

Bready sweet baked goods.. it often leads me to sampling hot banana bread before it cools down and burning my mouth.

2 | Chrissy

May 9th, 2012 at 10:30 am

… garlic lightly sautéing in olive oil. And rain.

3 | Finola

May 9th, 2012 at 10:34 am

Freshly ground coffee…aahhhh.

4 | Cinamongirl17

May 9th, 2012 at 11:08 am

Burning wood outdoors, or a wood burning fireplace indoors!

5 | Jen

May 9th, 2012 at 11:19 am

Clean sheets and pillow cases fresh from the clothesline.

6 | Krista

May 9th, 2012 at 11:32 am

cedar, lilacs, campfires, fresh mown grass (I can’t pick just one!)

7 | Brenda A.

May 9th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

My kids, just as they open their eyes in the morning. I could inhale that every minutes of the day if possible!

8 | Cathy

May 9th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

If my spouse really wanted to impress me he …. would make it home from work on time, tell me the meal that I have prepared smells so yummy. He always helps clear the table, but he would then help with the dishes. Yes I know I am so hard to impress, live for that man is hard. To me it is the little things that count that mean the most to me.

9 | binki

May 9th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Glad to see my top smells on the list of others. Fresh-cut grass (with extra bonus points for bbq aroma), newly cut cedar, wood fire, lillacs, onions frying in oil (the start of most good meals). All winners. But there’s a smell that beats them all. When human beings come in from the cold after being active, our cool skin has a particular odour. I have no idea why or what it is I’m smelling, but it’s a distinct smell. It smells like adventure.

May 9th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Ooh! These are all great smells. I need to add to my list:

campfire
coffee
bacon
outdoor smell (just like binki described!)
outdoor smell v2: rainy/earthy spring days
laundry on the line
lilac trees
baked bread

May 9th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Do you wonder why these smells are so meaningful to us? Is it because they remind us of being a kid?

12 | binki

May 9th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Oh yeah, that amazing smell on wet spring days. My youngest daughter noticed it the other day. She said “It smells like spring. I really LIKE that smell”. I loved that.

And here’s a weird one. I like the smell of Windex. It smells like weekend house cleaning (when I was a kid). It smells like getting ready for a party or a family get-together. Windex is mixed in with my favourite Christmas odours.

Taste and smells can bring back powerful childhood memories (Marcel Proust penned a few words on this subject). Our favourite odours are usually linked to positive childhood memories.

13 | Sara

May 9th, 2012 at 2:32 pm

coffee.
leaves raked in a big pile in the fall.
that smell of people who have been out in the cold.

and strangely, Canadian Tire…reminds me of my small home town in NS

14 | Ann

May 9th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

New babies!

Line dried sheets. vanilla, the old morrison lamonthe bakery(remember driving om the Queensway at Bronson?mmmmm) markers, lilacs, fesh cut grass, fresh baked bread and warm apple cider after a cold day :)

15 | Eloisa

May 9th, 2012 at 8:03 pm

lavender and the smell of earth after the first drops of rain. Oh and 3M scotch tape!

16 | Mommy Marshall

May 10th, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Newborn babies and hospital hand soap, and coffee when I am waking up.

17 | carrie

May 12th, 2012 at 12:28 am

The woods. wood. trees. men who have been cutting trees in the woods. babies.

terra20 Ottawa