05 Jun, 2012

Nine Things for Operation Trim: #1 is about water

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Challenge me, challenge you|Recipes and Food

In my head I’m actually calling this series of posts Operation Jiggle Reduction but I think the word jiggle conjures up some unwelcome imagery so I’m officially calling this series Nine Things for Operation Trim.

I blame the apartment.

In the month leading up to the move I overdosed on junky foods. I ate because I was stressed – with the reno, the move, and work. I ate because my energy sagged. When I was tired (and I was often tired) I ate carbs and sugar, and when I ate carbs and sugar it just made me more tired, and so I ate more carbs and sugar. It’s a death spiral, and it’s one that’s very hard to get out of. The more junk I ate the more I craved. It’s no wonder I’ve become so soft around the middle… it all settled here!

Sidebar: Before we moved I joked about putting the bathroom scale into storage. I hadn’t stepped on the scale in months and I thought it’d be nice just to get rid of it for awhile. Well, it was moved here anyway and since I was writing this post I decided to weigh myself. I knew that my pants weren’t fitting well, but I didn’t know to what extent. So now I know that we’re talking about nearly 10lbs of new jiggly bits gained in the past month or so. This is why this series will contain nine posts, one for each pound. :(

I’m taking baby steps to get things under control again. And I’m starting slow, with water. I am pretty sure that some of my cravings are related to the fact that I’m under-hydrated.

Step one to better water intake: obtain container. CHECK. If I have a container of water next to me while I am working, I will drink it. Otherwise I will not remember to get up and get a drink.

This is a glass water bottle I received at a meeting with some bloggers and CBC-TV people during my trip to Blissdom last year. I love it. This is what I’ll be drinking out of for the next while.

My Steven and Chris water bottle

Step two: make water!

Er, that didn’t come out quite right. ;)

I am perfectly happy with ordinary water, but I am more likely to drink it if the flavour quotient has been kicked up a notch. I thought I’d experiment with some sugar-free flavoured water recipes.

Here’s a little something I whipped up yesterday with a recipe from Chatelaine magazine and a few things I had lying around:

Adding yummy things to water

Doesn’t it look pretty?

flavoured water recipe

This batch is made out of:

• 2L water
  • 1/2 cucumber, peeled down to racing stripes and sliced thin
  • 1 lemon, sliced thin
  • bit of fresh mint and basil, chopped (the recipe calls for a 1/4 cup of each but my windowsill herb garden doesn’t have a prodigious output as of yet).

Mix ingredients and let everything sit in the fridge overnight. That’s it!

I am drinking the end result right now and it’s really really refreshing. I am inspired, so much so that I’ve been thinking of some other flavoured water recipes that I might try. How about:

• orange (quarter an orange, squeeze each piece into a jug, toss in the rinds and pour water over top)
  • mixed berry (using a bit of the mix we have in the freezer)
  • strawberry/mint
  • lemon/lime (no scurvy for me, no sir!)
  • @Laura_Benn suggested that frozen grapes make good ice cubes. (Thanks Laura!)

As an added bonus, all of these are flavoured water recipes are practically calorie free.

Another idea for you (if you are similarly underhydrated) is to make lemon ice cubes ahead of time and add them to plain water. It’s a great way of using the lemons at the back of the fruit drawer and dressing up your H2O a little bit.

Anyway, yes. There it is. I have decided I’m taking control! FEEL THE POWER. Stay tuned for post #2.

ETA: I made a jug of water with an entire cut up lime in it yesterday. It tasted good at first but over the course of the day it got really bitter. Do not use lime! Or just use the juice and not the whole fruit. Also, check out this great link for more flavoured water recipes.

12 Responses to "Nine Things for Operation Trim: #1 is about water"

1 | Tamara

June 5th, 2012 at 10:04 am

I’m joining you on this journey! Ever since I moved to the country and I am sitting around a lot more because of the longer commute and less time to exercise. Here’s to us and better fitting pants :)

2 | alison

June 5th, 2012 at 10:20 am

Off to refill my coffee mug from the water cooler!

3 | Chantal

June 5th, 2012 at 10:47 am

I have been sitting at my desk, thirsty and staring at my water glass like it will refill itself. Must.get.up.

I drank water like this, Spa Water, while I was on mat leave. Loved it. Need to do this again. Maybe this weekend! I was surprise how refreshing the cucumber in the water was.

4 | Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com

June 5th, 2012 at 11:17 am

Thank you for the reminder about increasing my water intake (and my water making, LOL). I’d gotten into the habit of drinking very little water after my morning coffee because I didn’t want to get caught waiting in line to pick my son up from school and desperately needing a bathroom. Now that he’s home for the summer, I have no excuse. But I certainly do have some jiggle to lose!

5 | CampingGirl

June 5th, 2012 at 11:59 am

I have just started tracking my water intake this week too. It is so much easier to drink water when the weather is warmer.

6 | Finola

June 5th, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I am in the exact same boat, except I don’t have an apartment and stressful move to blame. And I’m finding it waaaayyy harder to release those extra pounds now than I would have a few years ago :(

Good luck.

7 | Heather

June 5th, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Thanks for the inspiring post!
After a full day with the kids I am best and have a slight headache and know its bc I am under hydrated !
Tomorrow I begin to drink more H2O!

8 | TatianaDokuchic

June 6th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for the post, it does look very refreshing!

I’ve been on a heath/fitness/weigh-loss campaign (which means I’ve actually been actively doing something about it besides instead of just sitting & worrying) since the end of February so I’m looking forward to the rest of your tips for Operation Trim.

Bring them on :)

9 | Nine things for Operation Trim: #5 - Hello breakfast, goodbye bread >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 13th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

[…] the first post of this series I mentioned that my ill-fitting pants were a direct result of the terrible meals I was eating in […]

June 14th, 2012 at 11:57 am

Here’s my new favourite flavour. It’s so good!

11 | Breadless sandwiches and riceless sushi >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 18th, 2012 at 7:47 am

[…] followed it up with a stuffed jalapeño pepper (it’s a treat with heat!) and some flavoured water, and called it a […]

12 | Nine things for Operation Trim: #6 - Perchance to sleep >> a peek inside the fishbowl

September 20th, 2012 at 11:02 am

[…] Post #1 was about water – Sigh. I started out really well but it never became a habit. The only time I can manage to remember to drink water is right after I brush my teeth in the morning and at meals. Hmm. […]

• Jinjer: I love that dog figurine so much!!!!
  • Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.