22 Jan, 2013

If life hands you lemon liquid…

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

Sliced lemons

I don’t know why my daughter was holding the mega bottle of lemon juice concentrate. I was busy tidying the family room when she suddenly informed me that “it’s not just lemons in here.”

Let’s just say I was a tiny bit surprised.

I’m a conscientious label reader. I generally don’t buy things with glucose-fructose, or palm oil, or corn syrup, or anything hydrogenated. But for some reason I never bothered reading the label of the concentrated lemon juice I always keep on hand in the fridge. It’s been a kitchen staple for years! Why? It’s super convenient and I’m a lazy cook. And it’s cheap. Having a bottle of it saves me from having to buy fresh lemons all the time. I use it in loads of things: my afternoon cup of tea, lemonade (here’s the recipe I use), marinades, salad dressings, pretty much anything that needs a shot of lemon. I always knew it that using it in recipes wasn’t as good as using “real lemon” – but convenience seemed to trump it all.

Anyway, I asked the kid to read me the ingredients. It contains: “water, concentrated lemon juice, lemon oil, sodium benzoate, sulphites.” Verrrrry interrrrresting.

Sodium benzoate is a preservative that’s used mostly in acidic foods. (You can read more about it on Wikipedia.)

The have a feeling that the lemon oil adds flavour where flavour was lost (read: when water is the first ingredient).

And then there’s the sulphites. Some people have an allergy or sensitivity to sulphites. Health Canada has information on their website about sulphites here. Sulphites are naturally occurring in many foods and it has antimicrobial properties, and thus it stands to reason that the addition of sulphites gives foods a longer shelf life. Sulphites can cause headaches and intestinal cramping and apparently isn’t great for people with breathing issues. Sigh.

Bah. Whatever. This is all getting too complicated for me. I don’t feel like getting a degree in chemistry in order to better understand all this stuff. I’m just going to start slicing up lemons for my tea instead.

Print this post Print this post

10 Responses to "If life hands you lemon liquid…"

1 | Kaitlin

January 22nd, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I generally find that I get enough juice out of my lemons that it’s worth the effort. Also: lemon zest is tasty in everything. Limes, however, I cannot for the life of me juice properly.

January 22nd, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Kaitlin, I still dream about your lemon squares… :)

3 | Shawna

January 22nd, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I always keep at least one lemon and one lime on hand. I’ve never been able to abide the bottled stuff.

The trade off is that I’ve had to throw the odd lemon zombie out (a dried shell of its former self) from time to time.

4 | Shannon

January 22nd, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I find the liquid lemon tastes funny – refuse to buy/use it.
You can get more juice from lemons if you microwave them for 20 seconds or so and then roll them on the counter a bit before you cut them open.

5 | Stacey K

January 22nd, 2013 at 6:16 pm

We buy lemons for many reasons, but this science experiment sold me: a dish of “lemon liquid” in the fridge will not mold (must be the benzoate/sulphites), but a dish of fresh squeezed lemon juice will. Lesson learned: real food molds.

When our lemons start getting soft, or slightly elderly, we slice them all up and freeze them in ice cubes to use in our water.

6 | mt

January 22nd, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I also stopped buying the presqueezed lemon liquid as well. I always keep a handful of lemons on hand to make my own lemonade. Super easy, super quick, and only 3 ingredients: lemon, water, and sugar. So refreshing!

7 | Javamom

January 23rd, 2013 at 10:43 am

Loblaws in Toronto sells organic lemon juice in a glass bottle with nothing in it according to the label. But I too squeeze lemons….since I’ve found the big cheap green plastic bottles had stuff in it.

8 | Javamom

January 23rd, 2013 at 10:45 am

One thing about the non-organic lemons – I use a potato scrubber to scrub the hell out of the lemon peel, so I can still use the peel in some recipes. I don’t know if that will remove all the stuff prevalent on the peel, but it makes me feel better to scrub like that, prior to using the lemon slices.

9 | Krista

January 23rd, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I couldn’t find the bottled stuff in India, so I got in the habit of squeezing. Since we’ve been home, I started buying bags when they are on sale, juicing them all and freezing in ice cube trays. Now I have a baggie of frozen juice cubes for whenever I need!

10 | pat cook

January 25th, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Wow, thanks for all that info everyone. I have often thought of freezing lemon, lime, and orange juice from fresh, now I will definately try it.
Thanks for the sulphite info Andrea, the link was very helpful. I have long known I was sensitive and even though I’m 50+ now I am still learning.

Yesterday I had a single glass of a wine I can tolerate, with pasta and clams, and now I am thinking that the canned clams might have had sulphites or msg, because I experienced some all-too-familiar symptoms.

Please note: Something to teach young teens with sensitivities is that alcohol and rec. drugs can exaggerate the body’s reaction while lowering our brain’s abilty to deal with the consequences. Yet another reason to be careful.

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: I'm grateful too, very much so. Our day had a happy ending. Mark arrived home from work, the girls came home from school at the usual time, and it
  • Safe and Sound: To me and no doubt others out there, the thunderous gun battle video is incredible because we see law enforcement officers running towards this hell.
  • andrea tomkins: Hi Brenda, I suggest you contact PC Plus about changing your account information. You can do that right here:  https://www.pcplus.ca/loyalty-help.
  • Brenda: I always received an email saying it ws time to Load My Points for the week and it was very simple to just make one click of the mouse and my bonus po
  • andrea tomkins: The winner is commenter #52, Lynn Vandenbroeck, who wrote: "I host weekly board game nights. I would love to allow the group to enjoy some new boa
  • Elnaz S: I would splurge on board games! Apples to Apples, Pandemic, Trivial Pursuit..so many to choose from!
  • Mel: my kids love playmobil. This would help with the Christmas list. thanks for the chance!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 845 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: