15 Oct, 2013

Will they eat it: Turkey Curry

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

October 15 #dailylunches - Turkey curry

I will cut to the chase. The girls had the option to have this for dinner and they both opted RIGHT OUT and made their own dinners instead. Oh well. BUT if you (a) like curry and (b) want to use up some of your Thanksgiving turkey this recipe is THE ONE FOR YOU. Mark has made it 7 or 8 times. Not only it is delicious but it is The Best Way of using Leftovers EVER, especially the dry bits that have been sitting in the fridge for a couple of days. It’s full of flavour, and perfect for fall.

Turkey Curry
(originally from Ceil Dyer’s Wok Cookery)

2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tart apple (peeled, seeded, and diced)
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon butter (yes, again)
2-3 tablespoons of curry powder
2 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (heated)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
approx 2 cups cooked turkey, diced (I used a bit more)

Optional toppings: diced green onion, peanuts, parsley, or cilantro.

Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan and add the diced apple and onion. Cook over a medium/low heat for a few minutes until the mixture has softened. Add the extra tablespoon of butter, then the curry powder, and the flour. Stir until combined. Add the broth, then the turkey, and the pepper (if desired). Stir and simmer on low until your rice is cooked. You can even add a handful of frozen peas at this point if you so desire.

Serve the curried turkey on top of hot rice, and top with diced green onion, chopped peanuts, parsley, or cilantro (my fave).

Suffice it to say, this recipe makes fabulous leftovers for lunch the next day!

7 Responses to "Will they eat it: Turkey Curry"

1 | The Rain is Spain

October 15th, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Looks good. I’m going to try it. I normally make chilli with turkey. Not this year. We had chicken instead of turkey.

2 | Rachy

October 16th, 2013 at 12:12 am

I went through a phase where I wouldn’t eat turkey curry, I wanted chicken curry and nothing else lol. Now I LOVE turkey curry!

3 | Javamom

October 16th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I’m not a big curry fan but this looks good enough to try!

4 | Lynda

October 17th, 2013 at 11:15 am

Wow, this looks great! I’ll definitely try this with the leftovers I’m sure to have this year. Thanks for sharing :)

5 | Melanie

October 18th, 2013 at 10:04 am

My turkey leftovers disappeared too fast this year…darn! Might try this with chicken instead (or save til after Christmas). Looks tasty!

6 | Lisa

October 19th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

We’re a curry-lovin’ bunch here so had to try this. Super easy recipe. We added some coconut milk for added flavour and stirred in some baby spinach (also leftover from Thanksgiving) right at the end. Must have been good because there were no leftovers ;)

7 | a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Using up leftovers - a peek inside the fishbowl

October 11th, 2016 at 9:59 am

[…] will be dumped in a pot of water today to make soup for dinner. The leftover meat might go into this curry (it’s my favourite way of using up leftover turkey!) although my eldest has asked me to make […]

terra20 Ottawa

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• ichungcusaigon.info: Cancun real estate now offers quick access to all in the modern conveniences retirees from your U. While picking a real estate agent to dedicate yo
  • SJM: My father sent epic care packages when I was at Uni - one per term. It included a 6 pack of beer and lots of food. This was when postage was much chea
  • andrea tomkins: I KNOW. It's crazy that we are now the parents of an adult. I can hardly believe it myself most days! :)
  • Allison: What!!??!! How is your daughter in university?!! That just cannot be!!! So glad to hear she is adjusting well and having fun and enjoying her classes
  • andrea tomkins: Great ideas Joy! Especially the POST-its! They're actually an expensive purchase for a student, so they'd make a nice addition to a care package.
  • joy: cute and fun - I would love to receive things like this! How about notebooks, magazines, post-it notes, seasonal treats, lip balms, gift cards for fav
  • andrea tomkins: Ooh! Good one Alison! A good (long!) phone charge cord could be welcome as well.