01 Nov, 2013

Have you ever played Bananagrams?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Oh! Things!

This was the scene when the other night when I played a solo game of Bananagrams:

bananagrams

As soon as Piper saw me on the floor she immediately picked up her favourite “foxy” and decided she wanted to play something too. (In fact it quickly escalated to THIS.) Anyway, that is neither here nor there. This is about Bananagrams!

This game is pretty simple. Players make words out of 144 available tiles. It’s sort of like Scrabble, but there’s no board and the letters don’t have point values, and you get to make words and re-make words as it suits you. (Ok, I guess it’s not like Scrabble at all, is it?) There’s a bit more to it. You can read the complete Bananagram rules if you want to get a better idea of how it is played.

We’ve had Bananagrams for a few years but it’s recently made a resurgence here at Casa Fishbowl. I really enjoyed playing it with Mark when we first got it, but I only just recently realized that you can play it solo too. It’s fun, it’s portable, and it’s a great brain game. It’s also highly satisfying, and kind of peaceful in a way.

After I shot the photo above I got smart and started using a big piece of solid white foam board as a playing surface:

bananagram board

It makes it easier to move from place to place if needed, and prevents the dog from walking all over the tiles (er, most of the time).

I was finishing another solo round last night when lo and behold, our youngest joined me and helped me finish the board OF HER OWN FREE WILL. (!) It was tag team solo play, and it was nice. We looked at the board together, placing words here and there, and quietly chatted. It did my heart good.

Print this post Print this post

5 Responses to "Have you ever played Bananagrams?"

1 | Sarah McCormack

November 1st, 2013 at 12:50 pm

love it! bought it 5 or 6 years ago & have gotten lots of enjoyment out of it :)

2 | Lynn

November 3rd, 2013 at 10:32 am

Us too – one of our favourite games with lasting entertainment power. Our 10 year old just recently spontaneously started playing with us – one of those moments when you want to act all cool but are secretly squealing with joy inside. SPELLING GAME FOR THE WIN.

3 | Lisa from Iroquois

November 6th, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Never heard of it before but I’m looking at my Scrabble game and wondering if that might work. I like the notion of the slow meditative process, sort of like a crossword puzzle.

4 | Julie

November 12th, 2013 at 11:34 am

This one is new to me. Although I love word games in general, I am not a Scrabble fan. This seems better than Scrabble :)

5 | Katherine

November 21st, 2013 at 12:16 pm

We received it as a gift a couple of years ago but have never tried it out – sound like we should bring it out this winter for a games night – thanks!

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

bucketlist

etc.

• Susan Cole: How do I change my old e-mail address to my new one so I will start getting my offers again???
  • Javamom: I have an European friend who is also my on again off again business partner. the prime way we communicate is via facebook. but once you're in fb it's
  • Rebecca: Morning for me is best, absolutely. And I need silence. SILENCE. When the kids are gone to school I don't turn on anything, there's only the sound of
  • Lynn: Damn, surfing Facebook is my primary "down time" activity right now :). I heard an interesting documentary on the CBC a while ago about some resear
  • A helpful tool for writers >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] Further to yesterday’s post about writing… […]
  • andrea tomkins: But here's the thing that freaks me out. I think all of these needs are in my head. I've basically told myself that I must have all of these things in
  • Javamom: Mornings. Coffee. At home on laptop. If the words don't come I can read, and/or make notes elsewhere (like a coffee shop). An empty house is a mus

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 805 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: