01 Nov, 2013

Have you ever played Bananagrams?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Oh! Things!

This was the scene when the other night when I played a solo game of Bananagrams:

bananagrams

As soon as Piper saw me on the floor she immediately picked up her favourite “foxy” and decided she wanted to play something too. (In fact it quickly escalated to THIS.) Anyway, that is neither here nor there. This is about Bananagrams!

This game is pretty simple. Players make words out of 144 available tiles. It’s sort of like Scrabble, but there’s no board and the letters don’t have point values, and you get to make words and re-make words as it suits you. (Ok, I guess it’s not like Scrabble at all, is it?) There’s a bit more to it. You can read the complete Bananagram rules if you want to get a better idea of how it is played.

We’ve had Bananagrams for a few years but it’s recently made a resurgence here at Casa Fishbowl. I really enjoyed playing it with Mark when we first got it, but I only just recently realized that you can play it solo too. It’s fun, it’s portable, and it’s a great brain game. It’s also highly satisfying, and kind of peaceful in a way.

After I shot the photo above I got smart and started using a big piece of solid white foam board as a playing surface:

bananagram board

It makes it easier to move from place to place if needed, and prevents the dog from walking all over the tiles (er, most of the time).

I was finishing another solo round last night when lo and behold, our youngest joined me and helped me finish the board OF HER OWN FREE WILL. (!) It was tag team solo play, and it was nice. We looked at the board together, placing words here and there, and quietly chatted. It did my heart good.

Print this post Print this post

6 Responses to "Have you ever played Bananagrams?"

1 | Sarah McCormack

November 1st, 2013 at 12:50 pm

love it! bought it 5 or 6 years ago & have gotten lots of enjoyment out of it :)

2 | Lynn

November 3rd, 2013 at 10:32 am

Us too – one of our favourite games with lasting entertainment power. Our 10 year old just recently spontaneously started playing with us – one of those moments when you want to act all cool but are secretly squealing with joy inside. SPELLING GAME FOR THE WIN.

3 | Lisa from Iroquois

November 6th, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Never heard of it before but I’m looking at my Scrabble game and wondering if that might work. I like the notion of the slow meditative process, sort of like a crossword puzzle.

4 | Julie

November 12th, 2013 at 11:34 am

This one is new to me. Although I love word games in general, I am not a Scrabble fan. This seems better than Scrabble :)

5 | Katherine

November 21st, 2013 at 12:16 pm

We received it as a gift a couple of years ago but have never tried it out – sound like we should bring it out this winter for a games night – thanks!

6 | Big questions and some screen-free family time >> a peek inside the fishbowl

November 19th, 2014 at 2:10 pm

[…] Card games, dice games, word games, strategy games… all of these make the basis of quality family time. Unfortunately, sometimes […]

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Sara McConnell photography Ottawa

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

bucketlist

Veggie challenge button

• Alina: You did a great job, Andrea! You ate a variety of foods and the majority of them were nutritious. How would life be without a cookie, an ice cream, or
  • Ginger: I am going to try this out!
  • Margaret Whitley: As a long time Montessori Educator, student, parent, and supporter, I am pleased to see your profile of OMS. They are a fine example of what Montesso
  • Michael Milsom: Way to push yourself out of the box to explore another dimension..taking us all along for the ride :-) 21 days ..is a LOT of days to commit to doing
  • My 21-day vegetarian challenge is done! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] and sweet potato tacos (sort of based on this recipe), beer, tortilla chips and salsa* - snacks: DIY mango soft serve, coffee with milk, a
  • 21-day vegetarian challenge – it’s done! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] alfredo with kale and green onion - vegan black bean and sweet potato tacos (sort of based on this recipe), beer, tortilla chips and salsa*
  • Dee: If you do this again, you can get veggie sausages for your breakfast. Give me a heads up and I'll get them for you - my pusher lives in MTL :)

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• Two articles of mine were published in the summer issue of Ottawa Magazine. One is a Q&A with a dermatologist about summertime skin care (YES, those are my superwhite legs in the photo) and the other is a blogger face-off about bikinis.

- #
  • So I was feeling a bit ranty and wrote this post about raising children in an age of zero privacy in the hopes it will start some conversations! Please leave your two cents right here.

- #
  • My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives