20 Dec, 2008

What is your least favourite food?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Memes/blog awards etc

These past few days I’ve been baking, making, and nibbling. This got me thinking about the foods I cook and serve my family and how much of my menu is based on the foods that I like. (I guess they’d call that chef’s prerogative?)

There are certain kinds of things I’d never make, simply because I hate them so much.

I want to know: which menu item could you never bring yourself to serve? Better yet, search though Flickr and show me a good example.

Mine: liver and onions. My mother used to make this for me ALL THE TIME. And I had to eat it. (Ew!!)

Tags:

23 Responses to "What is your least favourite food?"

1 | Bob LeDrew

December 20th, 2008 at 9:29 am

Tofu. Gives me the trots. So why inflict it on another person. Just in case.

2 | Scatteredmom

December 20th, 2008 at 9:53 am

I’m with you on the liver. EWW!

And brussel sprouts. They look like little green brains….

3 | ian

December 20th, 2008 at 10:29 am

Has to be liver. Absolutely no redeeming qualities… Bad texture, bad taste, tough, leathery…blech.

4 | Mark

December 20th, 2008 at 10:44 am

Le Seur canned peas. To this day if I smell them I gag.

5 | ImogenSky

December 20th, 2008 at 12:17 pm

I LOVE liver and onions…and tofu :)

Mine is okra…gag me with the slimey nastiness … its not even a taste thing its the slimey, gag-me feelings!

6 | Mary Lynn

December 20th, 2008 at 12:40 pm

I totally agree with you on the liver and onions. Ick! I’m not fond of grapefruit or grapefruit juice, but I occasionally buy them for my husband cause he loves them. Ditto dill pickles. I think they’re awful but hubby and daughter love them.

My mother hated lamb so I never had it till I was in my 20’s. I love it! She also never served brussel sprouts because she didn’t like them, but I think they’re just fine.

One of my least favourite foods is kazunoko, which is herring roe. Specifically, there’s a dish my mother-in-law traditionally serves on New Years Day, which is salted herring roe on kelp. It’s this terrible combination of slimy and crunchy. My husband loves the stuff, but I think it’s awful. Most of the Japanese dishes my MIL makes are wonderful, but I just can’t warm up to this one.

7 | Virtually There

December 20th, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I agree with liver in any form. I hate it and it has never and never will enter our house.

Another least favourite: broccoli raab. OMG, that’s nasty stuff. Why eat something that is soooo bitter?

Gravy made with gizzards is another one I can’t stand. Because it tastes like liver. See above.

My biggie though is raisins. I just can’t stand them: the texture, the taste, everything. I do have them in the house of the girls and John who love them. I pretend to eat them for the girls. Really, I hide them under my plate or in my fist. :)

8 | porter

December 20th, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Oh my, I mustn’t be fussy at all because I happen to like everything your other commenters DON’T like except for canned peas.

Perhaps none of you have ever had liver and onions prepared properly???? And brussel sprouts? I make them almost once a week I love them!

I definitely dictate what we eat around here! I do all of the cooking and we tend to eat whatever I have a craving for, so it’s a good thing I’m not fussy huh?

We don’t eat alot of ground meat, potatoes, or deli meat because I don’t like it all that much.

9 | LO

December 20th, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Salisbury/Minute Steak (a 1970’s thing I am sure) and green peas from a can!!!!!!!!!!!

10 | LO

December 20th, 2008 at 5:52 pm

p.s. liver prepared properly is amazing-flour dusted……

11 | Hellcat13

December 20th, 2008 at 7:00 pm

ANY type of seafood=instant vomit reflex. It’s not pretty. My boyfriend didn’t quite believe me until I accidentally ate a deep-fried shrimp (thought it was a chicken ball). I retched for about 15 minutes. Ugh.

So yeah – he gets his seafood fix when we go out for dinner.

12 | Jon

December 20th, 2008 at 8:00 pm

I have a few and I cannot single one out, so here’s my list:

Hot dogs
Liver
Tofu
Popcorn

13 | Alison from Ottawa

December 20th, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Chili. ICK.

14 | Kaitlin

December 20th, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Green peppers. I absolutely hate them. I love red/orange/yellow peppers. But the green ones are biand, but bitter.
Otherwise, I’m fairly unpicky.

15 | carrie

December 21st, 2008 at 2:02 am

I’m with Hellcat13 on the seafood. It doesn’t matter how it’s prepared or how fresh it is, it all tastes rotten to me. Ugh.

Olives – it’s a texture thing.

Oatmeal -as hot cereal – it smells good, and looks good, but I can’t eat it without gagging. My mom says that even as a baby I couldn’t eat it. I tried again as an adult, and I just can’t do it.

16 | Jen

December 21st, 2008 at 10:38 am

The big ones: any kind of seafood, lamb and mushrooms. Gives me the chills just thinking about them!

17 | Musing

December 21st, 2008 at 10:57 am

anything with coconut!

18 | Julie

December 21st, 2008 at 11:15 am

Huh. I like liver too. With bacon and onions.
I don’t particularily enjoy raw tomatoes, pineapple or dill, but would never turn down a dish with any ingrediant in it if I knew it was well prepared. I would totally go to a restaurant and leave it up to the chef, and be thrilled with whatever I was served. I might need a a little more experience with oysters though. :)

19 | Shan

December 21st, 2008 at 7:54 pm

I’m with Carrie – oatmeal. I wish I liked it, but it makes me gag. It’s like already chewed food. Blech. And I cannot stand walnuts, well any nuts really, but walnuts are the worst. I can tolerate peanut butter and chocolate covered almonds, but that’s as far as it goes.

20 | Lex

December 22nd, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Parsnips. Turnips are close and squash too… but those evil parsnips are the work of the devil.

22 | Chantal

December 23rd, 2008 at 4:49 pm

I’m drawing a blank here, because I can’t think of anything I dislike passionately enough to not serve it.

I don’t like watermelon, but I buy it because my kids adore it.

I’ll have to go with minute steak too. My Mom used to make it for us and she fried it until it was so dry and chewy, I gagged on it.

23 | words words

December 29th, 2008 at 10:37 am

Good lord, I’m reading everyone’s least favourite foods and seeing some of my MOST favourite. Oatmeal? Brussels Sprouts? Tofu! Broccoli? Parsnips? I could not live without these foods. As for not liking tomatoes, that’s just wrong.

Ever have Gum Drop Cake? I’d never heard of it until I moved to Cape Breton. Here, it’s a Christmas delicacy. Imagine the most syrupy, gooey fruitcake you’ve ever had, take away any of its good qualities (ie. the fruit), and replace them with gum drops.

Oh yes, and make sure the dye from the gum drops bleeds into the rest of the cake to ensure it looks like a Christmas-light bonfire. Blech.

• molly: this was ... tremendous ... maybe that word is too uplifting for some but I stand by it. thanks so much for sharing it!
  • Ang Antos: I would respectfully disagree that the parks should open up individual reviews for each site, part of camping is the adventure, the not knowing and di
  • Maureen Kilpatrick: I love reading books and last year I read the most I’ve ever read since I started tracking on Goodreads. It was mostly due to the pandemic and the l
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive weathering - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] am happy to say that I am still making my bed every day and reading lots of books. I don’t want to oversell it, but the making the bed
  • jdope: It is ridiculously addictive, if you can get your hands on some it won't last long. FYI The ingredients on the Ikea Mustard Dill Jar: Canola Oil, M
  • Lisa from Iroquois: Totally get why you saved that calendar. You know, the way it is designed, you could easily create an slip of paper with 2021 calendar and glue it i
  • Stephanie Henderson: Thank you very much, you're an outstanding author! Maintain providing us with excellent stuff later on.