25 Jan, 2009

Black Bean Quesadillas recipe

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

Does this rhyme ring any bells?

Beans, beans, the magic fruit,
The more you eat, the more you toot.

(Is there more to it? I seem to think there was a second verse. Hmm.)

Despite the inevitable fallout, I like black beans. My husband likes black beans. My children? They do not like black beans. A bean will never cross their lips, even by accident.  Correction: Sarah eats green beans, raw peas, and edamame. Both girls eat chickpeas. That must count for something.

But generally, beans with their beany little shapes and pasty little interiors (i.e kidney, red beans, brown beans, black beans etc.) are a FULL STOP no-go. It has been this way since they were tiny. Trust me. I tried to get them to like beans.

The experts say you should keep offering foods to kids even though they don’t like them. I used to roll my eyes at this advice. It’s just so much effort. And I doubted it could work. After all, if someone kept serving me liver and onions over and over again would I learn to like them? NO. That being said, there have been a couple of recipes I’ve been making over and over again in the hopes that someday they would eat them. One of these is a ginger chicken dish. The reason I didn’t give up on this one is because there is nothing remotely offensive about it and I couldn’t accept that fact that both girls didn’t like it. (Maybe I’ll write that recipe up next.)

I was hoping this was going to be the case with this one I found for Black Bean Quesadillas.

Personally I thought it was very good. Mark liked it to. But the kids tried one tiny molecule and pronounced it to be a “no thank you.”

You win some, you lose some, right? But if your family likes black beans I encourage you to try this one out. It’s very easy.

Black Bean Quesadillas

2 tsp canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 sweet pepper, diced (red, yellow, or orange)
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp each S & P
1 can (19 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup corn kernels
4 large tortillas
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese (I’m thinking Monterey Jack could be good too)
1/2 cup sour cream
pickled jalapeno peppers (optional)

• In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, pepper, chili powder, cumin, s&p, until softened, about 8 minutes.
  • Add black beans, salsa, corn; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
  • Spoon an even layer of bean mixture over half of each tortilla and sprinkle with cheese. Fold uncovered half over top and press lightly. (Note, if you go too close to the edge you risk some spillage during cookin’/flippin’ time.)
  • Place on large rimmed baking sheet; bake in 425F oven, turning once, until golden, 10 – 15 minutes.
  • Serve with sour cream and/or jalapenos, if using.

You can also save yourself some time by making the mixture the day before, and just doing the last three steps when you’re ready to make dinner. It makes a LOT of bean mix. I had some for lunch the next day and there’s still some leftover.

9 Responses to "Black Bean Quesadillas recipe"

1 | lacoop

January 25th, 2009 at 11:16 am

The more you toot
the better you feel
so it beans at every meal!

2 | lacoop

January 25th, 2009 at 11:16 am

make that
“so eat beans at every meal”

3 | Javamom

January 25th, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I found that introducing fiber into your system slowly, particularly if you’re not big on eating a lot of things like beans, but also things like raw fruits and veggies, you will ease your system into it better. So yes, people shy away from beans for inevitable reasons, as you say, but they are so good for you, good to eat in terms of taste (some better than others, it’s a matter of preference) and cheap!

The way I got my hubby to eat them, who likes them but has digestive issues, is to add a few to soup. Or salads. Or into chilis or other things like that. Gradually over time the body adjusts and you have less issues….at least that is my experience.

As far as the kids are concerned? Mine are younger than yours but both will pick them out and not eat them. Funny how that happens….

One thing you could try though is to make hummus with beans. You guys like black beans? I made a black bean hummus once. It was gobbled up like there’s no tomorrow! By both kids! You can make it with any other type of bean, or mixed beans. Really yummy!

4 | Tali

January 25th, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Hmm…my kids love black beans. And would probably love liver and onions too, if I could stomach making it.

But macaroni cheese? Not on your life.

If a food is really good for you, I make it anyway in the hopes they will eventually eat it. But if it’s something like, say, baked potatoes, I try it once and give up.

5 | porter

January 25th, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I agree with Javamom about making hummus or putting beans in soups etc. alot of people (kids and adults) who don’t normally like beans will eat them this way…but I bet you’ve tried that already knowing you.

I find that the beans in tins are mushy and not my fav (I still like em though). Beans that I make myself are more firm and the kids like them better, and so do I.

That said, cumin isn’t everyone’s fav flavour over here so I have to cut that back in many recipes.

6 | smothermother

January 26th, 2009 at 7:33 am

This is the version from my childhood:

Beans beans Are good for your heart
The more you eat, the more you fart
The more you fart, the better you feel
So eat beans with every meal.

At the moment, Max is in love with anything beany. I hope that sticks. Maybe having a Mexican caregiver helps!

7 | Vanessa

January 26th, 2009 at 8:33 am

The more you toot the better you feel,
So eat your beans with every meal!

We love beans at our house… here’s one of our favourite recipes…

Tex Mex Crock Pot Chicken

2 lbs. boneless-skinless chicken breasts -cut into chunks
2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
1/2 pkg. taco seasoning (2 tbsp)
1 jar salsa ( we like the thick & chunky)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans, drained

Toss the chicken with the flour and taco seasoning in the bottom of the crock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients – cook on low for 6-8 or high for 3-4 hours. Serve over rice or corn chips with shredded cheese on top! Also makes great burritos the next day – roll into soft tortillas, drizzle with salsa or taco sauce, sprinkle with cheese and bake!

9 | Mauibutterfly

March 1st, 2009 at 10:32 am

I heard it as

“Beans, Beans, they’re good for the heart. The more you eat, the more you fart.”