25 Jan, 2009

Can you recommend a really good digital camera?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!

We’re thinking of getting each of our kids their own little digital camera for their birthdays. (Sarah will be 8, Emma will be 10.) Anyone have any recommendations to share?

It should be easy-to-use, point and shoot, and crank out a decent photo. I would love to get your input on this before we start going through consumer reports.

Thanks!

11 Responses to "Can you recommend a really good digital camera?"

1 | a grrl without a blog

January 25th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

my friend gave all three of her daughters different coloured Kodak easy share cameras (I think they’re called easy share…) for christmas last year, and they love them.

2 | Karen

January 25th, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I love my Canon digital Elph- easy to use( I’m photogenitcally challanged!), and I think it comes in funky colours( and is endorsed by Avril!-I have an 8 and 11 year olds…) Hope this helps

3 | LO

January 25th, 2009 at 9:13 pm

the canon digital elph-great for the price point:)

4 | carrie

January 25th, 2009 at 11:32 pm

I have a Sony CyberShot and I love it. Easy to use, small, large display screen and minimal buttons. The newer versions have a touch screen a la the ipod touch – even easier to use.

5 | Lala

January 26th, 2009 at 7:08 am

I like my little Sony Cybershot too except that you can’t pop the cards out and use then at printing machines because Sony makes them in an exclusive uncommon size. I used to have a Kodak, liked that one too except for the bubbles. They were a manufacturer’s defect that’s probably been ironed out by now.

6 | Cheryl

January 26th, 2009 at 9:53 am

Canon Digital Elph. Hands down. Smallest one you can find (great to throw in your pocket while traveling), great pics, and takes videos too. I have one, and everybody I know that has one loves their’s too.
Also, check out this guy’s reviews for point and shoots at http://www.kenrockwell.com. I’ve spent hours on this site and have learned a ton! Hope this helps!

7 | Gretchen

January 26th, 2009 at 11:43 am

Not sure what your price range is, but the next point and shoot I would like to get is one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B0011EAA04/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232987893&sr=8-9

I have seen photos from an older version of this camera blown up to wall size, and they were amazing. It takes great regular pictures, but it is also waterproof! You can literally take it swimming. So fun! I am normally a Canon girl through and through, even got a Canon A720is for my eight-year-old, and as a backup for myself to throw in my purse when I don’t want to lug around my DSLR. But they even have this olympus at Costco, and I am SO tempted to pick one up every time I walk past!

8 | stephanie

January 26th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I too highly recommend the Canon ELPH. Simple and easy to use, battery is rechargeable (ours has lasted 3 years, and it’s only time to replace it now). Takes great pictures.
I think there are varying costs depending on the level you choose.
Can’t say enough great things about this camera.
I’ve had the opportunity to try the Sony as well… and I prefer the Canon over the sony for ease of use (but it could be just because I’m more used to it).
Good luck!

9 | Sara

January 28th, 2009 at 9:17 am

We just purchased an Olympus Stylus in the fall… to have a pocket cam to take in our baby bag, and we absolutely love it! Super easy to use… and takes great pictures. Has multiple shooting scenes that might allow your girls to grow with their photography skills as they become more interested.

I do love Canon though and have heard good things about the Elph too -I personally would be all. over. the pink!!!

10 | Melissa

February 1st, 2009 at 10:02 am

IMO, a very important thing to consider is finding a camera that takes standard batteries (AA or AAA). There is nothing worse than having your battery die when you are on vacation or otherwise unable to access your charger. At least with standard batteries, the problem is easily fixed by a quick stop at a gas station.

We’ve had several cameras — I’m actually not a fan of the Elph, FWIW — and our current cameras both take AA batteries. This has worked much better for us than our earlier ones which took their own special batteries. We still use rechargable batteries — just standard ones. ;)

February 1st, 2009 at 10:14 am

Great suggestions everyone! I haven’t made my decision yet (I think this will require a bit more research on my part). I realized I also want to buy one for my mother. I wonder if I can get a deal if I buy them in bulk? :)