31 Jul, 2009

Moment of bliss #006

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Moments of bliss

Moment of bliss #006

I walk along quietly, looking off into the distance and shrouded in my own thoughts. Suddenly, unexpectedly, a small hand slides into mine.

I am always amazed at how nicely it fits.

I feel aglow. My shroud dissolves into the air like a fluttering ember that’s escaped from a fire.

The tender warmth and softness of that little hand brings me back to the moment, reminding me of who I am and how terribly lucky we are.

6 Responses to "Moment of bliss #006"

1 | Trea

July 31st, 2009 at 7:50 am

I know exactly what you mean … my moment of bliss comes almost every day when I hear a little voice tear me from my sleep saying, “Morgen, Mama!” (“Morning, Mama” in German). That kid makes my day …

2 | Sharon

July 31st, 2009 at 8:23 am

:) Like this…Love it when my kids take my hand. Nathan still does but Miranda does not. Kinda funny she doesn’t she is only 19. ;)

3 | Mary Lynn

July 31st, 2009 at 9:18 am

When my daughter was a baby she hated having her hand held. It was amazing how much it bothered me. When she was breastfeeding, I would sometimes try to hold her little hand and she would immediately tear it away from me. This went on until she was at least 18 months old. Then…all of a sudden…she started to take my hand all on her own. Those first few times that she willingly held hands with me? I thought my heart would just burst at the pure joy of it. Now at the age of five, she holds my hand often. But it still feels special to me.

4 | Chantal

July 31st, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Isn’t it amazing the feeling. I can’t even explain it to my childless friends. The ones who ask me if having children is worth is. If it is really worth all the trouble. Moments like this, you can never have those with any other human than your own child. Utterly amazing! True bliss!

5 | BeachMama

July 31st, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I know that feeling and love it. I remember the last time my stepson held my hand. He was a hand holder and he always took my hand no matter what. The last time he took my hand, he may have been 12, I asked if he was tired of holding on, he said, “well yeah, but you like it”. That was the last time for him, I knew he was growing up.

6 | Loukia

July 31st, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Beautiful, isn’t it? Lovely post! I love when I’m walking and holding on to each one of my child’s hands. Best feeling ever!

• Sam Mangrum: Hi Andrea, I just finished reading your article "Reno post #25: Tile city" and I wanted to say thanks. I found so much value in what you had to say
  • Nora B.: So nice to see photos of J&D's beautiful cottage. A wonderful place to get away for a little while from our crazy world!
  • Luis: Never buy a Maytag appliance I have had mine for two years now and the washer and dry suck. Washer leaves soap on clothing and dry doesn’t dry.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Wedding anniversaries and pandemics - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] This is what we did for our anniversary last year, by the […]
  • andrea tomkins: Thank you Sally! It was so peaceful... very restorative. I look forward to our camping trips every year!
  • andrea tomkins: Hmmm. Perhaps I didn't use the right term in my post? They're inflatable pool floats, but they are a mattress shape, if you know what I mean! I amende
  • Brien Marshall: This post has transported me back to camping on Lake Opinicon in the 70s. Air mattresses were the classic blue-on-one-side/red-on-the-other-side canv