28 Nov, 2007

a bran’new dress … for me!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!

I perused this season’s party-wear offerings while I was at the Rideau Centre yesterday.

It didn’t take me long to decide that I was going to opt out of shiny satins, itchy lace trim, sequins, and anything with velvet.

Here’s what I ended up with:

DSC_5325.JPG

I am pleased. It’s flowy and comfortable and fun, like me! What’s more, I can scrunch it up into a ball and it will never wrinkle!

It’s hard to tell by this photo, but lengthwise it just skirts my knee.

I’m torn about footwear. I like the shoes I have on (above), but I can’t wear stockings with them, can I? I WANT to, because otherwise I will freeze my hiney off, won’t I?

Women have it tough.

Opinions are highly divided on this issue. There are two camps of people, the never evers, and the do what you wants. *sigh* I don’t know where I’m going to end up this time around.

So … the dress. Sears. Forty bucks. Yes, I too am surprised. Now that I’ve had it on for awhile (I’m wearing it as I type) I realize I’m going to need some duct-tape-like fastening action in the chest area. They sell double-sided tape for Fabric that Flops in Places You Don’t Want it To.

I’m going to have to find me some.

Here’s the money shot:

DSC_5322.JPG

Yay! And now I get to strike another thing off my list…

31 Responses to "a bran’new dress … for me!"

1 | Jenn

November 28th, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Dance shops usually sell the double sided tape. Check out Malabar.

2 | Miss Vicky

November 28th, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Love it! What about a nice simple black cami? Then you don’t have to worry about unwelcome gapping.

as for shoes, the ones you have on look great. A nice pair of heeled boots would kick butt as well – a more casual look, but depending on the occasion…

3 | ali

November 28th, 2007 at 2:22 pm

no, you CANNOT wear stockings with those shoes!!! (i guess i’m in the never ever camp!)
either wear those stocking-less or wear a heeled shoe with stockings. but, i wouldn’t wear stockings with short sleeves…so you’re probably safe to wear the strappys you’ve got on.

i love it! looks great!

4 | J.

November 28th, 2007 at 3:03 pm

pretty dress :)

5 | mark

November 28th, 2007 at 3:42 pm

I’ll go with no pants on and we’ll both suffer together. :)

6 | Kelley

November 28th, 2007 at 4:08 pm

If you really want to wear those shoes, you can buy “toe less” stockings at the Bay.

7 | jane

November 28th, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Hi Andrea;

About the matchboxes from your earlier entry on Advent Calendars, I found small boxes of matches at Dollarama. They come in a package of 12 for $1.

8 | porter

November 28th, 2007 at 5:07 pm

The dress looks great! You have a beautiful figure and could wear anything. I wouldn’t wear nylons with open toe shoes (the kind without toes drive me nuts, not comfy for me) but that’s just me.
As for the tape, I’ve bought it at the Bay and La Senza about $10 for a box but they last a long time and are great to have on hand.
Are you going to wear any jewellery?

9 | The Veggie Vixen

November 28th, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Please don’t ruin a beautiful look by wearing nylons with those shoes. It’s a wonderful dress. I’m guessing you’ll be wearing a winter coat and you’ll be driving so you won’t be freezing your toes too much. You look fab!

And since you were at the Rideau Centre yesterday then maybe you can answer my question…I heard they’re opening up a MKH in the mall. Is it true?

10 | Marla

November 28th, 2007 at 7:23 pm

This year, and this year only, opaque coloured tights are trendy and fashionable enough that if you do something really contrasty, you can get away with it. So, like teal. Or orange – but not red. And but it’s always way better with a closed toe. Do you have something similar, but with a closed toe? Because that would be lovely. But please tell me you have some killer f* me boots? If not, get the to a shopping centre.

11 | Miss Vicky

November 28th, 2007 at 8:30 pm

I see that Marla and I are of the same mind on the boots!

12 | Carrie

November 28th, 2007 at 8:41 pm

I was going to say go for opaque tights too, but… definitely with a closed toe shoe! Or peep toes at worst… nothing too strappy.

November 28th, 2007 at 8:46 pm

For the record, Mark things I’m an emerging exhibitionist. But aren’t we bloggers all exhibitionists … more or less? This is what we do. This is my watercooler!

I see that I’m going to have to summon all of my footwear, take a few more photos, and put it to a vote. My mother thinks I should wear my black lacquered heels. Thoughts?

The underlying issue: I have a strong distaste for pointy and uncomfortable footwear. Some women can live with it, I can’t. In fact, my mother just told me about a friend of a friend who had to have a toe surgically removed because she’d screwed up her feet ever so royally. I want to keep my toes thankyouverymuch.

Yes, I have boots, but they’re massive (with thick square heel) and they make me 6 ft tall. Should I really do that to my poor husband? Who is a couple hairs over 5’8″ ??

They are pictured here: http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/?p=10

Marla, if you were close by I’d drag you shoe shopping RIGHT NOW. (Okay, so maybe I’m in my jammies RIGHT NOW, but if I wasn’t, we’d go RIGHT NOW.)

November 28th, 2007 at 8:49 pm

re: nylons/open toe
Paris did it … so does that make it ok? ;)

15 | The Veggie Vixen

November 28th, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Doing something that Paris did is enough reason not to do it. :-)

I think boots would be nice but not for an evening out. My two cents.

16 | Chantal

November 28th, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Stockings with open toed shoes reminds me of my grandma and you do NOT look like a grandma in that dress.

I say go for the boots. That dress needs boots. If it’s a work party or other semi-casual occasion, I’d say they’d look good. You’ll need something with a thin heel though, the thicker heels aren’t as “in” right now.

As for the tall thing, my boots send me over 6feet tall and I love it. If Marks okay with it, go for it.

17 | mrsgryphon

November 29th, 2007 at 12:30 am

Must find me some of that double-sided tape stuff… i’ve been using scrapbooking adhesives :)

Personally, I think that dress is a little too ‘light’ and pretty for tall boots… closed-toe heels with stockings to match your skin tone so it doesn’t look odd with the short sleeves. If that’s a choice on the poll, that’s what I’d vote for! You’ll look fabulous no matter what, though!!

18 | twinmomplusone

November 29th, 2007 at 9:11 am

pretty dress!
beautiful figure!!

didn’t you have a similar dress and shoe dilemma last year too?

November 29th, 2007 at 9:51 am

twinmom: you’re probably right. I have this issue every year. :)

November 29th, 2007 at 9:52 am

btw Mark was offended that I mentioned his size was 5’8″. He says he’s more like 5’9″, but I think he’s shrunk a little since we got married.

22 | Mark

November 29th, 2007 at 12:55 pm

I just checked by licence. It says 173 cm (or 5’8″)…and I’ve certainly not shrunk since we got married…I just slouch more in that browbeaten husbandly way that men do after 10 years of marriage :)

23 | BeachMama

November 29th, 2007 at 10:02 pm

That dress is gorgeous as is the body in it. Great selection. And go for no nylons if you are comfortable. It’s all about you.

24 | Marla

November 30th, 2007 at 9:07 am

I thought Mark was at least 5’10 1/2″. Maybe it’s just his remarkable presence.

And the boots don’t have to be pointy toed or high heeled – just sleek. I’ll be on Zappos for the next few minutes, shopping for you. BRB.

25 | Marla

November 30th, 2007 at 9:17 am

Wow – 25 comments on a post about a Christmas dress!
(okay, half a dozen of them will be mine)

But here – this look for the boots:

(A little dressier, sleeker – more sophisticated. They’ll serve you well.)

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/32922923/c/105.html (2 3/4″ heel)
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/30143142/c/71604.html (3″ heel)

I like Franco Sarto shoes a lot, because they fit my feet really well – I have duck feet. They’re narrow at the ankle and heel, and wide at the front:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/29168046/c/74271.html (2″ heel !)

These are killer:

…but we don’t have to go that far.

Besides, for comfort, you can always buy half a size larger, and put in an awesome Dr. Scholl’s insole. I have small gel pads for the balls of my feet, and I just bought sheepskin inserts for my sneakers. Everything can be modified.

27 | a peek inside the fish bowl

November 30th, 2007 at 10:52 am

[…] So here’s the story. I bought a new dress, and although I may appear to be a confident gal who is all tra-la-la, I am torn about footwear. I need your help! Check out the photos below and let me know what you think. I’ve affixed a poll to the bottom of this post (it’s untested… I hope it works!). […]

November 30th, 2007 at 10:55 am

Porter: I have a semi-precious bracelet I’m going to wear and a red-stone ring. But I’m not sure what I’m going to put around my neck yet.

I would love something with a big red stone in it.

29 | Kelley

November 30th, 2007 at 4:30 pm

I thought of you today. I got my hair cut and was looking through the latest issue of LouLou magazine where there was an article on nylons and open-toed shoes.

Not only is it acceptable, it is apparently fashionable to wear dark tights with open-toed shoes this season. Who knew?!

30 | a peek inside the fish bowl

December 6th, 2007 at 1:39 pm

[…] the ones I like best. Sans hose. » Filed under Misc. life by andrea at 13:39. » Share This back totop […]

31 | b*babbler

December 7th, 2007 at 11:27 pm

Super hot dress! Way to go on the find.

And I’m with the person above – a super pair of high boots would look fabulous!