09 Apr, 2008

Help, I need plants!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|File under crafty

Okaaaaaay. So I’m in Major Party Planning Mode. I need smallish plants for one of the crafties we’re undertaking during Sarah’s party. We’re decorating flower pots! I thought I’d swing by Home Depot and pick up a few icicle pansies or something – and guess what – It’s too early and there is nothing to be had. And I don’t want to buy nine pots of $5.00 African violets.

Anyone out there know of a local source for some pretty (and cheap) potted flowers? If I can’t find anything today I’m going break down and soak some sunflower seeds as a last resort… but I’d really prefer the flowers.

Help!

Tags:

11 Responses to "Help, I need plants!"

1 | porter

April 9th, 2008 at 10:38 am

Obviously I can’t help you in terms of a local source because I don’t live in the Ottawa area… but an idea for an alternative is $ store artificial flowers, you can cut the stems down…but of course they aren’t enviro friendly…but fun, no? Or making them with tissue paper or felt and pipe cleaners….my kids are younger so I don’t know if I am suggesting stuff that isn’t age appropriate.

2 | Miss Vicky

April 9th, 2008 at 10:49 am

What about getting some crocus or tulip bulbs from the Herb and Spice or Loblaws? There might be several bulbs in a pot that you can break up.

3 | Lee

April 9th, 2008 at 12:29 pm

While flowering plants are lovely indeed, jade plants are easy to propagate. Consider purchasing one or two small to medium sized ones.

Cut off 2cm to 4cm shoots from the larger plant and leave in the air (on a shelf) for a week or so until they begin to develop roots. (Alternately you can put them directly into moist soil and hope for the best.)

The good thing about jade plants is that they handle the unpredictable watering patterns of young children with grace!

4 | Marla

April 9th, 2008 at 1:01 pm

?

I agree – bulbs that can be split up would be nice. More immediate blooming satisfaction.

I did buy pansies yesterday, but from a little corner shop in our nearby Chinatown. Josie ate half a dozen of them before I could stop her.

5 | Meghan

April 9th, 2008 at 2:37 pm

I vote for seeds and dirt.
I think I might just borrow this idea for my daughter’s 9th bday sleepover.

We can plant seeds all night long……..

6 | robyn

April 9th, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Ikea! Best place for cheapie plants that will actually turn into nice plants if you don’t forget to water them (like I do).

Good luck on the plant hunt!

-robyn

7 | franticallysimple

April 9th, 2008 at 6:30 pm

My vote is for seeds and dirt too.
And if you want quick results, go with radish seeds. Not pretty like a flower, but the fast turnaround is so exciting to little ones.

8 | Lindsay

April 10th, 2008 at 6:45 am

I second the ikea idea – they usually have lots of plants in mini pots…

9 | J.

April 10th, 2008 at 8:52 am

Funny.. I think I saw some at Wal-Mart the other day.. I almost bought some. They just needed to be put into small planters.

Good luck.

10 | jennP

April 10th, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I have a spider plant that has SO many babies, it’s CRAZY! I searched the net and here is a picture really close to the grown ones I have:

I have lots of them if ever you wanted some. just let me know. (i live in Gatineau but go to Ottawa every day.

April 11th, 2008 at 8:52 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and thanks jennP for your offer! A decision has been made! I found mini daffodils on sale at the Superstore. Four bulbs/pot for $2.99. We’re going to transplant them into pots of our own design. :)

Thanks again!

• Jennifer: That is really cool. I was wondering if you kept it outdoors? There is research on hatching monarchs indoors that it compromises them. They need the
  • Ted Benkhe: Jim Burns made a great point re visitation. I,m sure that the peace park will present very well after the volunteers who maintain it have worked th
  • andrea tomkins: I'm glad you find it restful Bonnie! I didn't on that day. :)
  • Bonnie Upton: I have a true love of this place. I drive to and from Ottawa from the NewmArket area to visit my sister snd now my son who attended uOttawa and has c
  • Amy: That sounds fantastic! As with most travelling, parts are much more comfortable when you're telling them afterwards, but they make a good story.
  • andrea tomkins: If I had to pick, Grundy wins! :)
  • Shawn: What did u like more, Restoule or Grundy? Thank you Shawn