07 Aug, 2009

Westboro news!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Westboro

I had to pop in and let my fellow Westborians know what’s going into the space where the Westboro Market used to be. (On Richmond Road at Winston Ave.)

You would never guess in a million years.

Are you ready for this?

It’s going to be a DAIRY QUEEN.

I told Emma about it this morning. I thought she’d be thrilled. Instead she grimaced a little and complained that “it wasn’t going to be special anymore.” Interesting.

What do you think? Is it good news for the ‘hood? Or are all these big retail chains leading us down the wrong path?

10 Responses to "Westboro news!"

1 | Meagan Miller

August 7th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

BAD news. Both for the neighbourhood and my waistline.

I live about 2 mins walk away. This does not make me happy.

2 | Andy

August 7th, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I’ve been told by my wife to comment that this is bad news…but I can’t! I’m a fan of DQ and like that I can now get an inexpensive flame broiled burger without driving to get one. (I still like the expensive ones better but they stretch the budget and take a long time to prepare).

As far as us losing the “special” aspect of our community, I
agree but the market rents in the area are pushing out small business owners of those stores that make the area special. This fact that will be a greater concern when our small business will have to renew our lease in 2 years.

This addition brings a new dimension to the mirroring that exists between the businesses in Westboro and Old Ottawa South. I may miss some but they include: Milkface, 10,000 Villages, Bridgehead, Douvris Martial Arts, Boomerang Kids, Starbucks and now DQ.

3 | Jenn

August 7th, 2009 at 5:06 pm

I had to double check, but it was you that posted a link to the ingredient list for that “food”. I admit to indulging every once in a while but I wouldn’t be so happy about having it close by.

4 | Nat

August 7th, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Hmmmm… this could be dangerous.

The ‘hood is changing, no doubt about it.

5 | olivia

August 7th, 2009 at 8:26 pm

wow … that’s a surprise!

6 | lacoop

August 8th, 2009 at 5:50 am

Drat! That would have been a good spot for a small pub.

7 | Judy

August 8th, 2009 at 11:17 am

I did hear that it would be a Dairy Queen…. and we had discussed what impact it has for businesses in the area. I see people in Old Ottawa South going out in the evenings just for ice cream and walking around, looking in store windows and wonder if it will be similar in the evenings in Westoro now.

August 9th, 2009 at 8:07 am

Andy, somehow I doubt that this DQ is going to have a grill. But I could be wrong.

A couple years ago there was a proposition to put a Tim Horton’s in the bottom floor of the Westboro Exchange. Big hubbub ensued. No one wanted it. But I guess a dairy Queen is okay?

On one hand I think a DQ is a good idea for pedestrian traffic and for shop owners along Richmond Road, but I’m a little sad that it has to be a big brand like Dairy Queen. It takes away from the “village” feeling that everyone likes (and the Westboro BIA is trying so hard to promote).

I also feel a little sorry for the Candy Store and Truffle Treasures, both of whom are already selling ice cream (and they’re selling the good stuff).

Personally I would like to see a really good pub (like lacoop) go in somewhere in the area or better yet, get our bakery back.

And if I had a couple million I’d buy the old Chinese bible church and turn it back into a movie theatre. :)

9 | Candice

August 11th, 2009 at 11:24 am

Maybe a gelato place would suit the neighbourhood better? I can picture a Pure Gelato! Yummy!

10 | lacoop

August 11th, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Gelato (great gelato!) is already available from Truffle Treasures (home of the best hot chocolate I have yet to encounter). A pub, please, with lots of draught beer to choose from, and some room for a little entertainment (just a guitarist/singer type of thing). And comfortable chairs…

• Petropablo: I hear ya. I recently read an article explaining why rock sculptures are wrong wrong wrong. I don't remember a single argument other you're messin
  • Sally Dowe Marchand: Happy to support your run for this great cause
  • andrea tomkins: I hope you get better soon, Sally! Thanks for being a cheerleader. And yes, all funds go to The Royal!
  • Lynn: Looks like an amazing day! A great day to spend with family and so many delicious things!
  • Sally Dowe Marchand: Wish I could do this along side you as I finally reached 5 k running but alas I am grounded after eye surgery - no Strenuous exercise until I get the
  • JInjer: Happy Birthday! Sounds like a wonderful and TASTY birthday! Is the cup with the cat on it yours and if so where did you get it? Sorry, couldn't
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Destination: Carlington Hill - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] I haven’t been here for years. (The last time may have been when we set off Mark’s rocket.)  […]