27 Nov, 2009

growing up

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

Recently we found ourselves explaining The Truth About Santa to our oldest daughter. At some point during this conversation, the Tooth Fairy was also discussed.

I came home from walking Sarah to school this morning to find that Mark had shown Emma The Box of Teeth (WHAT ELSE ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO WITH ALL THOSE BABY TEETH?) and right after that we were suddenly showing her how to type the word BOOBLESS using a calculator.

I guess she’s not a baby anymore, huh?

13 Responses to "growing up"

1 | betsy mae

November 27th, 2009 at 9:08 am

SOB!!!!!!!!!!!

2 | betsy mae

November 27th, 2009 at 9:09 am

the crying sound not to be confused with S.O.B. for some reason I thought I should clarify.

November 27th, 2009 at 9:13 am

*laughing*

4 | Krista

November 27th, 2009 at 10:57 am

Oh geez! I had forgotten about BOOBLESS on the calculator. I almost spit out my coffee!

5 | coffeewithjulie

November 27th, 2009 at 11:21 am

Thanks for this morning laugh! I am still chuckling on the BOOBLESS thing :)

6 | Laura

November 27th, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Oh no, we are one step behind you in parenting. We have to have the Santa/Toothfairy conversation too….I am not ready. (’cause it’s all about me) Thanks for the reminder about BOOBLESS – a classic.

7 | Queenie

November 27th, 2009 at 4:58 pm

How timely this posting is. My daughter, mother of two wee boys, is thinking about what to say and do and when. She is a student and decided to “ruminate in print” by doing an English paper on the subject. No resolution yet.

8 | Nat

November 27th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

You kept the teeth? I thought it was kind of freaky so I kept the first one and threw the rest out… eeek.

Boobless eh? I am going to show The Boy how to do that right now.

9 | jennP

November 28th, 2009 at 5:34 am

oh no….. so 10 is IT???
my daughter is 7 1/2 and i have been asking around to get opinions as to when that time is. i am not looking forward to it!!

10 | Gwen

November 29th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

:( We still have a while to go, but I am not looking forward to that day.

Curious to know, does your younger daughter now know the truth too?

11 | Shan

November 29th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

A couple of weeks ago Abby told me that another boy at school told her that the tooth fairy was really your parents. I asked her if she believed the tooth fairy was real and she said she did, so we left it at that. I was surprised that Santa didn’t work his way into the conversation too.

Boobless – so funny!

December 1st, 2009 at 8:41 am

Gwen – it is a little sad, but overall it’s not that big a deal. It’s a bit of a relief actually, not to have to go on with the Santa story. It’s hard work keeping it up!

I am sure the younger one has heard rumours, but she still feels happy to believe.

13 | mrsgryphon

December 3rd, 2009 at 2:14 am

Our almost-4-year-old daughter has already asked why there are “so many Santas”. We chose to explain that they are his helpers, since there are so many kids in the world that want a chance to talk to him. At the Santa Claus parade last weekend, she started playing with her doll before Santa had even come down the street. She wasn’t too excited because “that’s not the real Santa anyway, Dad, just a helper Santa”. *sigh* So hard to keep the magic alive for them, when we’re constantly bombarded with Santas in commercials, at the mall… they’re everywhere!!