11 Sep, 2010

Healthy muffin recipes? Here’s one that’s even sugar free.

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

Can we give three cheers for healthy desserts and snacks? I made these yesterday, and it’s a keeper. It reminds me a bit of our banana bread recipe – it capitalizes on natural sugars found in fruit instead of refined sugars (although the banana bread does contain a bit of sugar).

Please note, I’m using the term “muffin” rather loosely here, so if you’re looking for something really sweet, this isn’t the recipe for you. There’s no sugar, so the overall effect is more “apple bread” than “apple muffins” so consider yourself warned. I will say that everyone who’s tried these really likes them (including children – WOOT!), so it’s a big winner in my books. I bet they’d be great for people on low-fat/diabetic/sugar-restricted diets. They’re nut-free too, and you can make them as organic as you like. Yay!

Sugar-free apple raisin muffins

1 large egg
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. raisins

Mix the egg, oil and applesauce. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon and beat well. Stir in the raisins. Spoon the batter (it’ll be fairly thick) into greased muffin tins. (I tried paper sleeves but they stuck – greasing is the way to go here.) Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool on wire racks. DIG IN. They taste great hot out of the oven with a schmear of butter. Oh oh oh.

6 Responses to "Healthy muffin recipes? Here’s one that’s even sugar free."

1 | Lee

September 11th, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Looks delish! (And surprisingly like something I’d be able to pull off.)

I hope to try making them soon!

2 | Laura

September 11th, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Hey, this recipe looks wonderful! Thank you, I will be making them for the kids lunches this week. :)

3 | Shan @ The Fairy Blogmother

September 12th, 2010 at 10:43 am

These look great. I’m going to try them on my girls.

4 | Javamom

September 13th, 2010 at 8:57 am

You saved the day. I stopped at the convenience muffin aisle today and briefly glanced at the packaged prepared muffin options. Then I left empty handed, telling myself that I have all the ingredients required to make muffins myself.

Now you saved me a ton of trouble going to look for the perfect recipe. I will try these, and I will probably add nuts to them.

Thanks!

5 | Mary @ Parenthood

September 13th, 2010 at 9:18 am

These work gluten-free too.

I sub’d the flour for a soy-based allpurpose flour. I didn’t have quite enough pure applesauce so I used a berry-apple sauce blend (no sugar). My sister was surprised to find out they had no sugar!

6 | Know More Do More: sugar-free is done >> a peek inside the fishbowl

September 21st, 2010 at 8:45 am

[…] What saved us: fruit. We ate baskets of peaches. My mantra became reach for a peach. They were the perfect antidote for a sugar craving and I think we all benefited from an increase in fruit consumption. What also saved us: one serving of banana “ice cream” and two batches of sugar-free muffins. […]

• Ang Antos: I would respectfully disagree that the parks should open up individual reviews for each site, part of camping is the adventure, the not knowing and di
  • Maureen Kilpatrick: I love reading books and last year I read the most I’ve ever read since I started tracking on Goodreads. It was mostly due to the pandemic and the l
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive weathering - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] am happy to say that I am still making my bed every day and reading lots of books. I don’t want to oversell it, but the making the bed
  • jdope: It is ridiculously addictive, if you can get your hands on some it won't last long. FYI The ingredients on the Ikea Mustard Dill Jar: Canola Oil, M
  • Lisa from Iroquois: Totally get why you saved that calendar. You know, the way it is designed, you could easily create an slip of paper with 2021 calendar and glue it i
  • Stephanie Henderson: Thank you very much, you're an outstanding author! Maintain providing us with excellent stuff later on.
  • valiasi: So hard to say. Yet, knowing your tendency for either opening or finishing can help you understand what habits you need to work against and what parts