08 Nov, 2011

The never-ending onion machine

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

Perpetual onions!

I use a lot of green onions (a.k.a. scallions) here at Casa Fishbowl. Green onions are milder than regular onions. I like to chop up the green part and use it as a flavourful garnish for soups, stews, Asian dishes and even meatloaf. I usually discard the whites, but I have used them to pep up stir fries and hamburgers.

So yes, there’s almost always a bunch of green onions in our veggie drawer. I pick up a bunch up every time I shop, which means that sometimes I buy too many because I forget I already have some. The sad result of this grocery-related amnesia means that innocent rapscallions are left to die a slow and soggy death in the fridge.

Let’s stop the senseless murder of fresh vegetables!

This is a very simple idea that I spotted on Pinterest the other day, and it really appeals to the frugal and foodie side of me: PERPETUAL ONIONS. It makes storing green onions a snap. Plus, it makes more green onions!

Just over a week ago the green onions in this photo were chopped down to centimetre or two above where the white part ends. I used the dark green parts in a recipe and put the rest (roots n’ all) into a glass of water, placed it on a sunny windowsill in my kitchen – and look – Pinterest didn’t lie! They grew!

I change the water every day and snip off what I need with kitchen scissors. Voila! No more soggy rapscallions in the veggie drawer. Pretty cool eh?

15 Responses to "The never-ending onion machine"

1 | binki

November 8th, 2011 at 11:05 am

You’re a genius. This is why I peek inside the fishbowl.

2 | Wendy [mapsgirl]

November 8th, 2011 at 11:11 am

I found this exact same thing on Pinterest and repinned it. It’s brilliant!!

November 8th, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thank you binki!
Wendy, it is brilliant, which is why I had to share!

4 | Giulia

November 8th, 2011 at 11:47 am

Great idea – funny though, I usually use the white part and discard the green, so this would not work as well for me ;)

5 | Susan

November 8th, 2011 at 11:55 am

Interesting. Will have to try that out tonight & put it next to my indoor parsley. :)

6 | Moneca Kaiser

November 8th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

delightful post, funny and I learnt a new word rapscallions and also to grow them, Thanks Andrea!

7 | Mary @ Parenthood

November 9th, 2011 at 12:42 am

How long can they go without snipping? (I’d like to try this but I can’t imagine using so many that I’d feel compelled to buy some every shopping trip!

8 | An easy recipe for beef stew >> a peek inside the fishbowl

November 15th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

[…] Those green onions – they are Best Supporting Actor. (They’re the ones I grew!) […]

9 | Katherine

November 19th, 2011 at 7:14 pm

love this!!! thanks for posting!!!

10 | Annie @ PhD in Parenting

December 6th, 2011 at 9:14 am

This is great! Except that I *love* the white parts, so it would be hard to part with them. I guess I could sacrifice once or twice to keep the onions coming.

11 | Breadless sandwiches and riceless sushi >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 18th, 2012 at 7:46 am

[…] one piece of green onion (it was going crazy on my windowsill) […]

12 | Keep cilantro fresh! How to store this fresh herb to prevent premature rotting >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 20th, 2013 at 9:03 am

[…] is almost as exciting as my perpetual green onions! I love saving money in the kitchen, don’t […]

13 | Erin

June 21st, 2013 at 9:31 pm

This is awesome. I am totally doing this. :)

14 | andrea tomkins

January 24th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

They last ages this way. WEEKS!

15 | a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Muddling through, making do - a peek inside the fishbowl

March 20th, 2020 at 7:00 pm

[…] you cooking more from your panty? Seeing leftovers in a whole new light? Growing green onions on your window sill? I wonder how the coronavirus pandemic is going to change people’s kitchen skills and […]

• a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive sleep and worry - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] advice reminded of my coronavirus chronicle (a.k.a. my paper diary) in which I describe our comings and goings and family updates. I […
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive The importance of chocolate - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] Earlier this week we placed an order for grocery pick up at the Superstore. I had figured we might not get the toilet paper we wanted, or th
  • andrea tomkins: I watched a whole video that was sent to me about this... how to deal with groceries when you bring them home. The problem is there is so much conflic
  • andrea tomkins: It is true that things are changing so fast. It's hard to keep up. Strangely, I am a PC client and didn't receive the email everyone is talking about
  • Lynn: It's Thursday now, and this just goes to show you how fast things change - we got an email from PC Optimum yesterday letting us know that a) they will
  • Lynn: I just got back from a Costco run and this kind of thing was in my mind the whole way, and when I got back home. I washed my hands before unloading th
  • Amy: The quandary about grocery bags and where the contagion ends was concerning me the other day. Every item in the grocery order has been touched by mu