12 Dec, 2006

Dear Santa, please send me a pickle

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Links and other procrastination|Oh! Things!

… that is, a tin pickle like this one please.

Funny, i’ve always believed that it was a German tradition to hang a pickle on the Christmas tree. Turns out I may be wrong.

11 Responses to "Dear Santa, please send me a pickle"

1 | karrie

December 12th, 2006 at 9:38 am

Huh. I wondered about the pickle ornaments I’ve seen in stores, but just assumed they were akin to hanginh jalapeno pepper ones.

2 | Marla

December 12th, 2006 at 10:03 am

So you and Mark can play “Hide the Pickle”?

If you really want one, and haven’t found one yet – I just saw a nice selection at the Flatiron shop, and would be happy to grab one for you.

3 | liss76

December 12th, 2006 at 10:59 am

I have a glass one that looks just like that. A friend gave it to me in a gift exchange about 10 years ago–mostly to poke fun at my enthusiastic love of dill pickles. ;o)

4 | Zhenia

December 12th, 2006 at 12:04 pm

My family did a mesh of German and Norwegian Christmas things and the pickle never did factored into our celebrations. In fact, this is the first I’m hearing of it. Ever.

Oh well, it’s pretty cute no matter where it came from.

December 12th, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Marla, Mark would like nothing more than to play hide the pickle.

*awkward silence*

But, ahem, since I saw one of these ornaments at Pier One last year I’m going to check back and see if they’re carrying it again. I’ll let you know if you can pick me up a pickle. :)

7 | nancy

December 12th, 2006 at 3:51 pm

I meant to add words to that….mainly to comment you can get your pickle on sale…

8 | liss76

December 12th, 2006 at 4:54 pm

You might want to peek into Heavens to Betsy–they often carry that sort of kitschy thing!

9 | MothersKnowBest

December 12th, 2006 at 8:38 pm

Is it a dill or sweet pickle? Dill for the win.

10 | Kerry

December 13th, 2006 at 11:49 am

Hey Andrea! I have a pickle and i’m not using it this year. It’s blown glass and quite green. Do you want to borrow it?

11 | Leah

December 13th, 2006 at 1:08 pm

I was in the Glebe Emporium at lunchtime yesterday, shortly after having read your post and…they have the pickle! Take a sharp turn to your right as you go in the door…bottom shelf…in a basket.

Ta da!

• a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive sleep and worry - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] advice reminded of my coronavirus chronicle (a.k.a. my paper diary) in which I describe our comings and goings and family updates. I […
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive The importance of chocolate - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] Earlier this week we placed an order for grocery pick up at the Superstore. I had figured we might not get the toilet paper we wanted, or th
  • andrea tomkins: I watched a whole video that was sent to me about this... how to deal with groceries when you bring them home. The problem is there is so much conflic
  • andrea tomkins: It is true that things are changing so fast. It's hard to keep up. Strangely, I am a PC client and didn't receive the email everyone is talking about
  • Lynn: It's Thursday now, and this just goes to show you how fast things change - we got an email from PC Optimum yesterday letting us know that a) they will
  • Lynn: I just got back from a Costco run and this kind of thing was in my mind the whole way, and when I got back home. I washed my hands before unloading th
  • Amy: The quandary about grocery bags and where the contagion ends was concerning me the other day. Every item in the grocery order has been touched by mu