22 Feb, 2009

Paper birds: an easy craft for anyone

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|File under crafty

Emma’s been recovering from a doozy of a bug. We both had enough of television yesterday. What do to?

I bookmarked this idea awhile back and decided to finally try it out, thinking it might be a good crafty activity for her and I to do together. And I was right.

This is a very easy craft for kids, doesn’t take a lot of time or materials, and the results are pretty sweet.

Paper birds

The original idea called for scrapbook paper and paper clips for bird feet. I broke 10 cheap paperclips before I got out my little roll of 18 gauge wire. (I think it worked out better this way, don’t you?)

Although the patterned paper would have been pretty in its own right, I thought it’d be more interesting to use blank card stock since the kids were involved.

This is where the creativity comes in. Emma and I chose to colour on the bird shape. Sarah, who made a couple birds of her own later on, coloured in the bird shape, filling it completely. I think it’s important for kids to exercise their own little brains and come up with their own designs, so I try to refrain from helping too much or making suggestions.

This is a nice little craft for all ages, although toddler-sized artists might need help with the cutting.

I’d love to see your results if you try this one out. Full instructions and the template can be found here.

10 Responses to "Paper birds: an easy craft for anyone"

1 | Javamom

February 22nd, 2009 at 11:20 am

These are so cute! I’m going to suggest these to Ben, and if we end up making them, I’ll take photos.

February 22nd, 2009 at 11:45 am

Please do take photos!
I’d be curious to see how other kids decorate their birds!

3 | raino

February 22nd, 2009 at 12:21 pm

these are really cute! really. and what a nice way to encourage summer….good work ya’ll!

4 | Shannon

February 22nd, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Great idea – I haven’t seen this before. I may try it with our 5 year old . . . not sure the 3 year old would have the patience. Maybe mommy could cut and he could decorate.

5 | Gwen

February 22nd, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Beautiful! I know my Naomi will love to make these. Always looking for new craft ideas.

Question…how and where do you store all of the beautiful crafts that you and your girls do? Between all the jk stuff she does and the crafts we do at home, I am running out of ideas on how and where to store them!

6 | Marla

February 22nd, 2009 at 5:31 pm

These are lovely – Jo and I will be making these for sure. And, i think you’ll be excited about the two crafts I made this week. It may even be worth…gasp…a blog post.

7 | lizzy

February 22nd, 2009 at 6:53 pm

What a great idea. I love the wire as opposed to paper clips. I will have to make these with my darling daughter one day soon.
Thanks

8 | Paper crafts « Javaline

February 23rd, 2009 at 12:59 pm

[…] from the fishbowl made these recently with her daughters and I thought it was a great idea to try with my almost 4 year […]

February 23rd, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Ha. Gwen. Good question! We make a lot of crafts around here, for sure. I’d say the majority are paper crafts which eventually get recycled. My secret trick? Take photos of the art instead of keeping all the art. We keep very few of their art projects… only the cream of the crop get framed or displayed on a shelf.

(Our pottery is a whole other kettle of fish. Post to come.)

Marla: I am giddy with anticipation. :)

10 | Family Anatomy

February 25th, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I’m definitely going to introduce this to my boys, but I have a feeling that the birds are going to become dinosaurs!

• a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive sleep and worry - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] advice reminded of my coronavirus chronicle (a.k.a. my paper diary) in which I describe our comings and goings and family updates. I […
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive The importance of chocolate - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] Earlier this week we placed an order for grocery pick up at the Superstore. I had figured we might not get the toilet paper we wanted, or th
  • andrea tomkins: I watched a whole video that was sent to me about this... how to deal with groceries when you bring them home. The problem is there is so much conflic
  • andrea tomkins: It is true that things are changing so fast. It's hard to keep up. Strangely, I am a PC client and didn't receive the email everyone is talking about
  • Lynn: It's Thursday now, and this just goes to show you how fast things change - we got an email from PC Optimum yesterday letting us know that a) they will
  • Lynn: I just got back from a Costco run and this kind of thing was in my mind the whole way, and when I got back home. I washed my hands before unloading th
  • Amy: The quandary about grocery bags and where the contagion ends was concerning me the other day. Every item in the grocery order has been touched by mu