10 Apr, 2009

The 8th cake

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

Sarah’s birthday went off without a hitch.

Here’s the cake I made:

Sarah's 8th birthday cake

I like to call it: Springtime in Ottawa. Tulips behind a picket fence, worms half-hidden under loose dirt, and grass mixed with frost. (A common sight around these parts.)

The party itself was a little crazy. Our place is pretty small, and when it gets overrun with small people it feels even smaller. Let’s say I have a keen understanding of why some parents choose off-site parties. I am glad we planned the party around dinner and a movie. Sarah chose Spirited Away, one of our favorite Miyazaki films. The girls were absolutely hypnotized by the movie… (for the entire 125 minutes!).

As always, I realize that my enjoyment of the planning of said party is almost equal to how happy I am when it’s over and everyone goes home. :)

The girls are eating cake as I type, and I’m mentally preparing myself for a day of yard work and giving the back porch a good spring cleaning.

Tags:

11 Responses to "The 8th cake"

1 | Lee

April 10th, 2009 at 9:29 am

Beautiful cake!

Happy birthday Sarah!

2 | scatteredmom

April 10th, 2009 at 11:12 am

What a cute cake! :)

Off site parties really are easier on the clean up, I find. Have a great Good Friday! We’re hanging out at home, while I catch up on Spring cleaning too.

3 | Loukia

April 10th, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Wow, what a great cake! Glad to hear the party went so well.

4 | Trea

April 10th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Congrats on that cake, it’s amazing! How creative! I’ll have to show this to my sister (a pastry chef). Well done on what sounds like a very successful party! Happy Easter.

5 | The Veg Next Door

April 10th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Gorgeous cake. You’re like the best mom ever! I hope your girls know how special they are.

6 | BeachMama

April 10th, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Great cake!! Do tell what you did for loot bags/gifts.

7 | Chantal

April 10th, 2009 at 7:20 pm

That is a great cake. I am glad they had fun!

8 | raino

April 10th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

great cake ! love it.

9 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

April 11th, 2009 at 9:46 am

That cake is super cute. I love the worms hiding in the dirt (I’m a mother of boys afterall).

Also, I *LOVE* spirited away! I mesmerized ME the first time I saw it. I have it on VHS. Really need to spring for the DVD.

10 | The Veg Next Door

April 13th, 2009 at 8:31 am

Just wondering if the movie is appropriate for a 4.5 year old.

April 13th, 2009 at 9:06 am

Veg: I would say no. There are some scenes which would be frightening to kids that age. In fact, there were a couple 8 year-olds at Sarah’s party who looked iffy.

• ubobet.win: Ubobet is an internationally trusted gambling dealer previously 2001 until now. By holding attributed entry for online gambling sites that give vario
  • Wendy Perkins: Can g/f flour be substituted equally?
  • milhiskom.dk: Well done and written. I've jut started blogging myself very recently and observed that mwny articles merely rehash old ideas but add very little o
  • Brien Marshall: It's like Twitter but in real life! Certain people are looking for a platform to vent their opinion and you happened to be in their audience. On my
  • Sally Dowe Marchand: Oh my. I don’t know what I would have done. Bent over in agony maybe. Or turned quickly and walked away. Or offered sympathy for the stress she is
  • Lynn: Excellent to hear! Every person who reports getting the shot makes me feel hopeful, like we are one more small step closer to good times again. Our
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive I got jabbed! #TeamPfizer - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] the same day our youngest turned 20, I got my first Covid vaccine. For the record, my next one is scheduled four months from […]