21 Oct, 2009

Warning: you will gain 2 lbs if you read this post

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

The other night I had a craving for something sweet. I’ve been trying to watch what I eat so I chose an apple; cored, sliced, sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon and sugar and nuked for 1.5 minutes. It was like apple pie without the pie and totally did the trick.

The same thing happened yesterday and an apple just wasn’t going to cut it. BUT I didn’t want to make a whole pan of something rich and cake-like either. So I whipped up an easy no-bake treat that is DEAD SIMPLE at the best of times, but I made a quicker and easier version and the best of all I figured out a way to make four small servings.

I know, I should get to the point.

I made Rice Crispie squares in the microwave and they are the BEST THING EVER.

Here’s how:

Put some butter or margarine in a microwave-safe bowl:

gob of marge

Nuke until melted. Add four large marshmallows and stir to coat. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for another 30 or so until it looks like this:

melted marge

Then take one cup of crisped rice cereal:

One cup of crisped rice cereal

And mix:

mixing

Spray a clean bowl (preferably one with a wider bottom) with cooking spray. (I used a soup/salad bowl). Scrape marshmallow/cereal mixture into bowl. Press down with the back of a spoon which has also been sprayed with cooking spray.

pressed and ready

Let cool.

Cut into quarters for four servings. I like making small batches like this, because it prevents me from eating them the whole pan. Mark said he prefers these ones to the “regular” way of making rice krispie squares. For some reason they tend to turn out a little lighter.

This is a great little recipe it truly is. The problem is that it might be a little TOO quick, and a little TOO easy, if you know what I mean. ;)

10 Responses to "Warning: you will gain 2 lbs if you read this post"

1 | Betsy Mae

October 21st, 2009 at 11:15 am

These would be great for a last minute playdate!

2 | vanessa

October 21st, 2009 at 11:46 am

one of my favourite spins on Rice Krispie Squares is to add a big spoonful of creamy peanut butter to the melted butter/marshmallow mixture. Of course, if there’s an allergy concern, that’s a no-go. But if there isn’t? yummmmmmm it adds just a hint of peanut buttery goodness….

3 | BeachMama

October 21st, 2009 at 11:57 am

Oh my goodness, PERFECT! I love making Rice Krispie Squares, but hate making such a huge batch, this would be just right for a playdate or a quick dessert for school. I love it, thank you for sharing.

4 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

October 21st, 2009 at 3:05 pm

If you liked this, Andrea, have I got a recipe for you! Will do it up on my blog once I get a big writing assignment done. Might not be til next week. Will let you know.

Don’t worry. The wait will be worth it.

5 | Jenn

October 21st, 2009 at 4:04 pm

i was inspired and made it right away for an after school treat only to find out our cereal was stale :o(

October 21st, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Oh Amy, you’ve got me wondering!

And Jenn … I am sad for you. RK squares are best when they’re made with with super fresh cereal.

I once bought some at a bake sale and they were made out of stale cereal … yeeeech!

7 | Carly

October 21st, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Do you ever add a splash of vanilla to your marshmallow/butter mixture just before adding the cereal? Mmmm. Gotta run – need Rice Krispies!

8 | DaniGirl

October 22nd, 2009 at 12:27 pm

This is excellent — instant comfort food! LOVE it!!

9 | DaniGirl

October 22nd, 2009 at 12:28 pm

PS Ha, just noticed your “one year ago” post is for chicken broth… must be a Fall thing, to crave comfort foods like this!

10 | Twitted by andrea_r