25 Nov, 2011

Fried terrier face

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

Did you know you can fry flour tortillas to make a cheap and easy dessert or afterschool snack? We rarely have cookies in the house, so this is a nice substitute for when we have a craving for something sweet. It goes well with hot chocolate, and my personal favourite cold-weather beverage, hot vanilla (take superheated milk and add a splash of really good vanilla). Add sugar and it’s like drinking a marshmallow. Seriously.

Here’s how we make our fried tortilla dessert:

• Take one tortilla. (Fresher is better here.)
  • Fry in a bit of oil you’ve swirled around a hot frying pan. It will puff up as it cooks. Flip it over after a minute or two and brown on both sides.
  • Dust with icing sugar.
  • You are done.

For awhile I was using cookie cutters to make fun shapes – circles and stars and diamonds – but Sarah reminded me recently that it’s fun to go freehand sometimes. This is her creation:

Fried terrier

Not bad eh? And it tasted pretty good. :)

6 Responses to "Fried terrier face"

1 | Valerie

November 25th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

wow, she did a great job on the terrier face. Looks yummy, too.

I do the same with hot milk, but put in a splash of rum instead of vanilla. Yummy.

2 | Tricia

November 25th, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I’ve never used them for a sweet treat, but I stick them in the frying pan and cut them into wedges to eat with hummus all the time. Oh, and my favorite cold weather beverage…chai. Yummy!

3 | JoAnn

November 25th, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I was a guest at my friend’s house a couple of weeks ago and she made these except she dusted them with cinnamon sugar – yummy! She also made homemade fruit – mango salsa to dip them into!! :)

4 | Fiona

November 25th, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I second the hot milk with rum (or extract) with lots of nutmeg. I’m going to make myself one right now. TGIF!

5 | Shan @ the fairy blogmother

November 25th, 2011 at 5:48 pm

My Mom makes them dusted with cinnamon sugar with strawberries on the side. Yum!

6 | Brenda A.

November 25th, 2011 at 6:45 pm

OMG the title of this blog made me snort! What a great (and easy!) idea!