19 Mar, 2012

The sound of Emerald Meadows

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Multimedia experiments|Ottawa

Er. Ok. I have been obsessing with the art of sound recently. Can you forgive my whims? :)

This particular area is near where my inlaws live in Kanata. It’s a parkland next to a farmer’s field near Meadowbreeze Park. It’s a Stormwater Management Pond; a “constructed wetland” to prevent flooding in the neighbourhood. The result is a scenic little area that supports a lot of different wildlife including redwing blackbirds, a ton of geese, ducks, and even the occasional cormorant and beaver.

The farmer’s field next door has been sold and will be home to a sprawling new development. This makes me a little sad, to think of our need to expand and encroach and slowly take over. Goodbye sweeping vistas, hello pavement. Oh well. At least there’s a Stormwater Management Pond eh?

Anyway, this is a 30-second clip of what it sounded like as we walked along the path yesterday. It was a riot of robins. Turn up your speakers and click to listen. [p.s this doesn’t seem to work on iPhones. Sorry folks.]

[audio:http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/voice/Kanata.mp3]

Kanata

Kanata

Kanata

Here’s a really nice photo Mark took too.

It was the perfect end to a pretty perfect March Break.

7 Responses to "The sound of Emerald Meadows"

1 | Wendy

March 19th, 2012 at 8:08 am

Sounds beautiful. I’m lucky enough to live in the country and hear this all the time. I hope you’re still so lucky once the pavement moves in.

2 | Chantal

March 19th, 2012 at 8:10 am

You know how much I love my neighbourhood. All the kids out yesterday playing and I spent an hour at the park with my 7yo and his friend (sorry we missed you). I love the walk around the pond and I know it won’t be the same with houses so close, but it is better than nothing. Still a nice oasis among all these houses.

3 | Lynn

March 19th, 2012 at 8:13 am

Aw, this is where I live (and Chantal too!). This post makes me want to go out and make some recordings of other parts of the neighbourhood. What a great memory.

March 19th, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thanks guys!
Chantal, I saw you and your brood as we drove by your place. It certainly was a great weekend to be outdoors!

5 | Marianne

March 19th, 2012 at 10:51 am

It’s in my neighbourhood too, and the funny thing is that I’m listening to your recording on my back deck, and hearing similar sounds live at the same time! Though the peace here is occasionally shattered by a random shout or holler from my 1 and 4 year old daughters, who are busy exploring the backyard together.

6 | Ginger

March 19th, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I really love these last two sounds posts! What do you record with? Lately I have been feeling like I need little sound tracks of the boys because pictures can’t just capture everything. They have started talking to each other in their room before the go to sleep and I just want to keep those little conversations…

March 19th, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Thank you Ginger, the sound really adds a new dimension to a scene, doesn’t it? I just use the mic and voice memo app that came with the iPhone. :)

• Ang Antos: I would respectfully disagree that the parks should open up individual reviews for each site, part of camping is the adventure, the not knowing and di
  • Maureen Kilpatrick: I love reading books and last year I read the most I’ve ever read since I started tracking on Goodreads. It was mostly due to the pandemic and the l
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive weathering - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] am happy to say that I am still making my bed every day and reading lots of books. I don’t want to oversell it, but the making the bed
  • jdope: It is ridiculously addictive, if you can get your hands on some it won't last long. FYI The ingredients on the Ikea Mustard Dill Jar: Canola Oil, M
  • Lisa from Iroquois: Totally get why you saved that calendar. You know, the way it is designed, you could easily create an slip of paper with 2021 calendar and glue it i
  • Stephanie Henderson: Thank you very much, you're an outstanding author! Maintain providing us with excellent stuff later on.
  • valiasi: So hard to say. Yet, knowing your tendency for either opening or finishing can help you understand what habits you need to work against and what parts