06 Mar, 2014

Our visit to Sky Zone (a.k.a How to exhaust your kids)

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Ottawa

A few weeks ago we packed the kids up after dinner and made our way to Sky Zone, an indoor trampoline park here in Ottawa. I was researching a piece for Capital Parent Newspaper and figured I might as well bring the kids along. ;)

I will cut to the chase and summarize thusly: the girls had a great time, there was one skinned elbow but no other injuries, and they collapsed into bed that night and slept like the dead.

I was pleasantly surprised by the whole thing. Imagine a giant Costco size warehouse, with concrete floors and immensely tall ceilings. The building contains a few different trampolining areas.

(1) A wall-to-wall grid of small trampolines, divided by cushy borders.

20140206_192900

(2) Smaller, enclosed areas for trampoline dodgeball – which looked quite fun. One game started while we were there and I was glad to see that it was supervised by staff and kids of all ages were encouraged to play together.

(3) A row of trampoline ramps underneath basketball hoops of varying heights. The trampo-basketball was very cool. Imagine being able to bounce and make a slam dunk!

(4) A separate area with smaller trampolines overlooking a huge pit of soft foam cubes. (You will never look at the Ikea ball room the same way ever again.) This area isn’t just for the little kids either. Kids of all ages were flipping in there! It was neat to watch. Edited to add: It’s worth noting that jumpers under age 6 are required to be supervised by an adult on the court. And there are special toddler hours too. Check the website for more info.

20140206_192644

I should point out that we went after dinner, arriving sometime around 7:45. After having spoken to a few people about it since then, I believe this is the ideal time to go as a family. It wasn’t busy. The website mentions buying your admission ahead of time but we took our chances and just showed up. We bought each of the girls a 60-minute ticket. This was PLENTY of time for a first visit.

The Grid was awesome, and was where the girls spent most of their allocated hour. The girls ran, bounced, leapt… it basically gave them license to behave like wild circus children. The walls are trampolines too, and we witnessed some pretty awesome tricks by older kids. (Not by members of our own family.)

This is not an inexpensive night out, I do however believe it was money well spent. For a couple of extra bucks you need to buy special grippy socks for trampoliners. They are obviously reusable and can be brought back and worn on other occasions, so I didn’t mind shelling out the extra cash.

I will confess that I didn’t even step on a single bouncy surface in the whole place for fear of shaking up my bladder. I was happy to standby and watch the action unfold. And did it ever!

Have you been to SkyZone? What did you think?

7 Responses to "Our visit to Sky Zone (a.k.a How to exhaust your kids)"

1 | Sarah McCormack

March 10th, 2014 at 11:39 am

I met a friend there last month and our kids spent a fun hour jumping while we chatted in the (very comfy) chairs! the only issue was it was super busy and we had to wait almost an hour before they could start. but, I guess it was a Saturday afternoon so we should expect that! We will go back sometime for sure.

2 | Misty

March 10th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Never been, but I too have the bladder issue :)

3 | Javamom

March 10th, 2014 at 2:36 pm

My then 7 year old was invited there for a birthday party. The kids ages ranged from 7-11 and the younger siblings were invited to stay as well, in a separate area (they didn’t mix the preschoolers with the older kids). The location was in Mississauga. I liked it, I stayed to watch, and thought it was a great place to take kids that needed to burn energy on a day that was too cold or wet to play outside (or too hot and humid)…

The second photo shows the pit that Ben jumped into as well. For the party it was supervised there, by ‘coaches’ or staff. They made sure each kid had a chance to run and jump in without others getting in the way, or bumping into each other.

I had a hard time taking by kids out of there when the party was over. I recommend it for both impromptu visits and parties.

4 | Amy

March 10th, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I jumped into that pit of foam. Never again. I got stuck.

5 | Michelle Trenholm

March 11th, 2014 at 7:24 am

That looks like a lot of fun! I would love to jump on one of them trampolines! I bet I’d get tired earlier than my kids. LOL.

6 | Lynn

March 11th, 2014 at 8:58 am

We’ve been! I took the older two last summer and they just loved it. I wish it was a little closer to us, because then we’d go much more often.

I did jump, but I knew it was going to be An Issue so I wore protection. Totally worth it – it was a super fun time!

7 | Lynn

March 11th, 2014 at 8:59 am

Forgot to mention – be sure to bring a lock if you are all jumping, so you can put your shoes/bags/coats in a locker.