31 Mar, 2015

About that 1000th lunch

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

It has been a crazy week here at Casa Fishbowl (and it’s only TUESDAY). At least I had a moment to do this:

March 31 #dailylunches - burger and rings from Pure Kitchen in Westboro

I decided to eat my 1000th dailylunches at the new Pure Kitchen in Westboro. Yesterday I edited a piece about it by Paula Roy for the Kitchissippi Times. By the end of it my mouth was watering so my decision was practically made for me. This  fulfilled a couple of different things for me. (1) The restaurant is within walking distance, in a neighbourhood I love to smithereens and (2) their focus is vegetarian food, which I think is pretty awesome.

Pure Kitchen is pretty new around these parts. Westies must be as excited as I am about it because every time I walk by it’s packed with people. Today was no exception, and it made me happy I set out at 11:30.

Pure Kitchen is in the location of the former Milagro’s. The layout is the pretty much the same as before, but it’s much brighter and cheerier and I’m already looking forward to a return visit.

For the past 100 or so lunches I’ve been thinking a lot about what this project means to me. Every once in awhile I scroll through the photos of my past lunches in the Flickr set. The images and choice of food conveys a lot of information when I think about it. I can see where I am, whether it’s a place with a pretty view, a restauranta winter wonderland, or a parking lot:

October 11 #dailylunches

The photos also show if I’m eating alone or with an opportunistic friend who is perpetually hoping that I drop something:

May 16 #dailylunches - someone is hungry

Unrelated: Piper was at the right place at the right time when Mark accidently dropped a pork tenderloin medallion on the kitchen floor during dinner last night. That dog has learned that PATIENCE PAYS.

So what DOES this collection of a thousand photos say about me? Good question. I think I’m too close to make any unbiased judgements. Perhaps I can safely say I like vegetables and sushi, and that I am good at eating leftovers and probably eat too much cheese. (?)

This is not a portfolio project, god, I hope no one is thinking that I think I’m a food photographer who is angling for work. If I wanted it to be a portfolio I wouldn’t rush through 99% of the photos I take. It is merely, a journal. Some photos are great, some are less so (the same goes for my lunch choices actually), but they’re all an honest portrayal of that tiny sliver of my day. Will I keep going? At this point I don’t see why not.

6 Responses to "About that 1000th lunch"

1 | Tarah

March 31st, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I love your #dailylunches! I am often inspired by the photos and sometimes amused (those pig dumplings were a topic of coversation with one of my best friend who is half Chinese and loved pigs for a while). Definitely keep going!

2 | andrea tomkins

April 2nd, 2015 at 10:59 am

Thank you Tarah! And those piggy dumplings were pretty cute!

3 | binky

April 2nd, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Why do you do this again? Just curious.

4 | andrea tomkins

April 2nd, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Hmm.

– Because I like food.
– and I’m trying to eat better
– and people need to know that making a decent lunch doesn’t have to take a lot of time or energy
– because I like to try and share good recipes
– because I like to promote local restaurants
– because it’s art and life and my life
– because it’s weird and I guess I am weird too. :) :)

5 | Jinjer

April 3rd, 2018 at 10:24 am

I love the daily lunches! So are those onion rings in the picture? What were they coated in? Look delicious!!!

6 | andrea tomkins

April 3rd, 2018 at 10:50 am

Thanks! I did it for about five years. :)
I believe those onion rings were coated in quinoa flour or something like that. They were pretty good. :)