22 Nov, 2015

My new favourite snack: pita chips with za’atar

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Giveaways and product reviews|Recipes and Food

Have you ever made anything using za’atar? I picked up a package at the Ottawa Fair Trade Festival the other day. It’s a savoury middle eastern blend of herbs and spices. It can be incorporated into almost anything (think: marinades, eggs, flat bread, salad dressings) but I thought I’d start with something super easy, such as homemade pita chips:

November 20 #dailylunches - Homemade pita chips

I was so happy with how they turned out: crispy and full of flavour. And they’re so simple to make. All you do is mix some za’atar with olive oil, spread it on pita, and bake it in the oven. Pro tip: use kitchen scissors to cut your pita into eighths. You’ll notice that each small triangle wants to flap open into two halves, like a duck bill. Split it so you have two equal triangles. The rough, inner part is where you spread the za’atar and olive oil paste.

You’ll need to experiment with quantities. I got a bit over excited with a few of these and spooned on too much. (Er. See above photo.) In terms of za’atar to olive oil ratio I started with 2 TBs of the spice mix with 3 TBs of olive oil and it seemed about right. Bake for 10-12 minutes in a 350F oven and you have yourself a pretty good snack.

This particular brand of za’atar is produced by a volunteer-run organization called Zatoun, and it’s available at Ten Thousand Villages. Zatoun provides help to olive farmers who have no other means of generating income. You can read more about them here.

Want to sample some of this blend? All Extra Helping subscribers are automatically entered to win a gift pack of Zatoun za’atar this week and a lovely bottle of fair trade Zatoun olive oil to go with it. It would make a great pantry staple or a thoughtful gift for foodies (that is, if you’re able to part with it!) Don’t you just love gifts that keep on giving? :)

6 Responses to "My new favourite snack: pita chips with za’atar"

1 | Brenda A

November 23rd, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Have you been to Al Noor Bakery across from the movie theatre on Carling? You will LOVE it if you like zaatar. So many tasty breads there and a super cheap snack. 70 Wylie Ave.

2 | andrea tomkins

November 25th, 2015 at 11:47 am

Brenda … I haven’t! I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

3 | Caroline

November 23rd, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Zaatar pita chips crumbled instead of croutons. I just had the chips with homemade hummus and tabbouleh for lunch. Yum!

4 | Tricia

November 23rd, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Oooh, I love this stuff!

5 | andrea tomkins

November 30th, 2015 at 11:08 am

We have a winner! Check your email. :)

6 | a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Groceries - a peek inside the fishbowl

March 23rd, 2020 at 7:01 pm

[…] which made a good healthy snack earlier this week. A half-bag of frozen pita made good crisps (here’s a quick how-to). We used up a bag of haddock making fish and chips last night and are using the leftovers […]

• a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive sleep and worry - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] advice reminded of my coronavirus chronicle (a.k.a. my paper diary) in which I describe our comings and goings and family updates. I […
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive The importance of chocolate - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] Earlier this week we placed an order for grocery pick up at the Superstore. I had figured we might not get the toilet paper we wanted, or th
  • andrea tomkins: I watched a whole video that was sent to me about this... how to deal with groceries when you bring them home. The problem is there is so much conflic
  • andrea tomkins: It is true that things are changing so fast. It's hard to keep up. Strangely, I am a PC client and didn't receive the email everyone is talking about
  • Lynn: It's Thursday now, and this just goes to show you how fast things change - we got an email from PC Optimum yesterday letting us know that a) they will
  • Lynn: I just got back from a Costco run and this kind of thing was in my mind the whole way, and when I got back home. I washed my hands before unloading th
  • Amy: The quandary about grocery bags and where the contagion ends was concerning me the other day. Every item in the grocery order has been touched by mu