20 Oct, 2006

reliving the preteen years

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Links and other procrastination

YouTube is a great diversion if you are a busy procrastinator. Mark and I found a whole bunch of old music videos the other night, including this one. I was 10 when this song came out. Check it out, and then come back with a YouTube link to a music video to share with the rest of the class.

You’ll be surprised what you can find in there. :)

Edited to add: Ooo, I loved this song too! And what about this … ?

Can’t… stop….. watching.

20 Responses to "reliving the preteen years"

1 | Mark

October 20th, 2006 at 9:05 am

Check out this….

52 seconds in on this video was no doubt my inspiration for the time at my high school dance I rushed into the room to make a grand entrance back flip and landed squarely on my back in front of the entire school. Grand entrance indeed.

2 | Hillary

October 20th, 2006 at 9:14 am

Oh my goodness! Soooo funny! I love “Come on Eileen!” Though I’m ashamed to say, I only know “Whip it” cause of the “Use the swiffer” commercial. That is sooo sad! What ARE tehy wearing on their heads?!?!

Perhaps not quite from the same era, but how’s this one for superb graphics? ;) And oh, the floating head…

October 20th, 2006 at 9:41 am

ROTFL – why were videos so.darn.bad back then?

Leah – I’m still laughing. I will not be able to get that out of my head today.

5 | Leah

October 20th, 2006 at 9:46 am

I had all their albums…sigh. That Tommy Shaw was a hunk.

October 20th, 2006 at 9:46 am

Hilllary: I am guessing that is a remake. I did a search and found what I think might be the original version from the 80s. It is, um, weird… as you can probably imagine.

I do love this song though. It’s one of my all-time favourites.

October 20th, 2006 at 9:48 am

I have no words for this:

9 | Hillary

October 20th, 2006 at 10:15 am

CREEPY! Is he singing to a little girl??? Tainted love? Yeah, no KIDDING. And that robe.. just a wee bit too short, if you ask me!

No wonder they remade it.

10 | Hillary

October 20th, 2006 at 10:20 am

Oh brother, I really need to get to work… oh but THIS… I can’t look away…

October 20th, 2006 at 10:28 am

We danced with great teenage angst and intensity at the “alternative” dances (which took place in an old church basement) to this:

October 20th, 2006 at 10:43 am

HILLARY: please tell me that’s not a real video. Of a real band. Must… stop… watching…. this
aaaaaargh!

October 20th, 2006 at 10:45 am

OMG – I’m still dying of laughter re: Hillary’s video pick.

15 | Marla

October 20th, 2006 at 12:25 pm

Did anyone besides me love him?

My first tattoo came from their album label!

16 | Andrea D

October 20th, 2006 at 12:35 pm

OK Leah gave me strict instructions to post….gotta love this tune

October 20th, 2006 at 12:58 pm

Okay. I can’t stay away from my own thread. This song:

… was on the first cassette tape I ever bought. It was “K-tel Top Hitz of 1980” or something like that. I wore that tape out and never saw the video until this very moment. (Hey, is that Darth Vader in there?)

18 | megan

October 20th, 2006 at 4:43 pm

This was my favorite roller skating song, back when I had my Dominion Percision Skates with four red wheels and fuzzy dice hanging from the laces (circa 1980) EKKK!

19 | twinmomplusone

October 23rd, 2006 at 1:31 pm

Oh. My. God.!!!!

I can’t stop watching these.

I loved and danced to all those songs but never saw their videos.

Here’s a few more favorites:

(this last one being my first ever record, a 45 rpm!)

thanks for teh laughs Andrea!

October 23rd, 2006 at 1:48 pm

Hey! I never thought there were armadillos in the Casbah!

p.s. my first 45 was “I love Rock N’Roll” by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. That Joan. She was so tough. This was another video I’d never seen. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMpmC_fltM

• Mort: I'm usually very good but was gripped with mild panic at the drug store Saturday when I suddenly realized I'd forgotten my mask. Normally there's a ba
  • Michael: You could mix up all your ingredients and form the dough, cover the put it in the fridge. This will cause the dough to perform a slow rise, so if done
  • Sally Dowe Marchand: Wow. Well done. I too have done something as absent-minded as walking into a store and taking my mask off. Inside right so remove it. I immediately re
  • sassygirl: i like hearing your voice on the browser version. it’s well done! (:
  • Sally Dowe Marchand: Oh dear. I am so not there yet. I was making my way hastily through Loblaws the other day and suddenly it dawned on me it was Christmas music playing.
  • Nicole MacPherson: Oh, I totally understand. I have found myself tearing up in public places when particular songs come on. I love Christmas music and I rarely think it'
  • peter: Absolutely love the audio version - you are a natural!