25 Jan, 2007

WE DID IT!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Westboro

excited.but.too.tired.to.type.

more tomorrow. :)

ETA: Jan 26.

I will write more at some point, but my head is still spinning and I need to the time to sit down and collect all my thoughts.

Quick summary: we went to the LACAC meeting last night. There were about 30 of us in the audience. We listened to a presentation by the planning department and also Barry Hobin. We made our speeches (by the time it was my turn I was practically leaping out of my chair) and listened to the committee as they deliberated.

The motion had to be put to a vote. They voted YES. LACAC voted unanimously in favour of heritage designation for La Maison Jeanne d’Arc. When I saw all 12 hands go up I thought I was going to fall over. This recommendation will now go to the Planning & Environment Committee of Council on February 13th.

I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled I am. I am so proud of all the work we’ve done. I am proud to have the support of my community. Wow.

More updates to come soon, including the text of Dagne and my speech to LACAC.

9 Responses to "WE DID IT!"

1 | Marla

January 25th, 2007 at 11:58 pm

(golf clapping)
(even though I don’t know yet what you did)

3 | Kim

January 26th, 2007 at 1:24 am

Congrats!!! Great Job!!!!!

4 | Ryan

January 26th, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Wow, I’m so happy to hear about the fruition of your labour. Even though I’ve been out of Ottawa for so long, I have friends in the same area who feel the same way. Congratulations to you and all your supporters. What a wonderful success story!

5 | nancy

January 26th, 2007 at 1:12 pm

Fantastic!! You should be extremely proud of yourself for all your work and heart you’ve put into this one. Congratulations!

Now you should go eat copious amounts of chocolate to celebrate.

January 26th, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Thank you! And Nancy, at this point I am just happy to celebrate by changing out of my pjs and eating a proper breakfast.

It’s past noon and I have yet to shower. I have written so many emails this morning my fingers are sore. :)

7 | Sharon

January 27th, 2007 at 10:14 am

CONGRATULATIONS!

It is a nice building. Hugs to you all .

8 | BeachMama

January 28th, 2007 at 9:20 am

Congratulations, this is wonderful news. Just shows that YOU can make a difference. All your hard work has paid off :).

9 | Heather Ballantyne

January 30th, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Hi Andrea,
Wow, I guess I’ve become so cynical about our effectiveness and clout as “average citizens” (as in the plea to put some brakes on recent intensifications in this same neighbourhood) that I’m actually surprised by the result of the vote.
BUT WHY SHOULD I BE SURPRISED. It’s the right vote, after all. Again, sorry I coudn’t have been at the actual meeting, but I was thinking about you! Thank you so much for your determination and persistance. Congratulations.

• Raven: To those questioning the term "duck" here's some interesting etymology of "duck" as a verb which makes underduck make more sense to me. https://www
  • Raven: I'm from the west coast of Canada and my friends and I always called it an underduck because you DUCK UNDER the swing at the end. * Duck... As in w
  • molly: this was ... tremendous ... maybe that word is too uplifting for some but I stand by it. thanks so much for sharing it!
  • Ang Antos: I would respectfully disagree that the parks should open up individual reviews for each site, part of camping is the adventure, the not knowing and di
  • Maureen Kilpatrick: I love reading books and last year I read the most I’ve ever read since I started tracking on Goodreads. It was mostly due to the pandemic and the l
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive weathering - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] am happy to say that I am still making my bed every day and reading lots of books. I don’t want to oversell it, but the making the bed
  • jdope: It is ridiculously addictive, if you can get your hands on some it won't last long. FYI The ingredients on the Ikea Mustard Dill Jar: Canola Oil, M