22 May, 2007

A list

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Memes/blog awards etc|Oh! Things!

I was happy to see this post on Lex’s site this morning.

List 10 simple joys in life that give you a small hit of pleasure when you experience them

It’s exactly the thing that’s been on my mind this morning. What things make me happy?

View from the stoopMy ten simple pleasures, in no particular order:

Outdoor floral smells: our lilac tree, crabapple trees in full bloom, lily of the valley.

Outdoor reading: stretched out, feet up.

Sun on my face.

Sitting on the front stoop with a hot coffee, pen and notebook, and watching Emma and Sarah play.

Good food, especially when shared with loved ones.

Crackling fires.

When it all comes together: some writing, a photo, a project, the garden.

Unexpected acts of kindness.

Dancing/singing to a good song on the stereo, turned up really loud.

Slipping between freshly laundered, sun-dried sheets.

There are so many things that bring me pleasure in life. That’s just off the top of my head. What are the simple things that make you happy? And how many of them will you do today?

6 Responses to "A list"

1 | Sharon

May 22nd, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Off the top of my head & in no particular order.

A bubble bath and reading while soaking
A good glass of wine
Having friends over to share that wine and a good meal
Hugs from my kids
Taking pcitures with my NEW digital SLR
Time alone with the hubby
Listening to my kids tell me about their day
Having a cup of tea on my back deck in the morning before anyone is up.
Ice Cap Supreme at Timmy’s (OMG THEY ARE AWESOME)
Getting in my workout when I can.

2 | karrie

May 22nd, 2007 at 6:13 pm

Both great lists!

Planting seeds and watching them grow.
My cat purring next to me.
Considerate drivers in Boston traffic.(oh, so rare)
The smell and sounds of the ocean.
Pine trees and large rocks.
When I check my mailbox and find new magazines!
When I’m home alone, and can actually read said magazines uninterrupted.
My son leaning back against my chest while he sits in my lap and we read.

3 | BeachMama

May 23rd, 2007 at 6:20 am

Most of your pleasures are featured around great, fantastic weather! What do you do in the winter or do you find 10 other pleasures to keep you going?

Mine would all be about the summer too, and then all winter I wait for that time of year again.

May 23rd, 2007 at 8:04 am

The trick is, you have to adjust with the season. I am just as happy snuggled under the covers with a book and a coffee as I am on the front stoop in the summer sun. :)

5 | DaniGirl

May 25th, 2007 at 11:31 am

Ah, yes, so many of my simple pleasures are tied to warm weather and sunshine – it’s a wonder I make it to spring each year. I really like this idea and might steal it for my own blog!

6 | sherin

November 28th, 2007 at 10:03 am

smelling wet earth after the first shower of the year.
looking at fat little puppies roll about on fat little feet,
finding a much-looked-for book unexpectedly at streetside booksellers,
listening to the theme music of doctor zhivago,

i could go on for quite a while.

• Jennifer: That is really cool. I was wondering if you kept it outdoors? There is research on hatching monarchs indoors that it compromises them. They need the
  • Ted Benkhe: Jim Burns made a great point re visitation. I,m sure that the peace park will present very well after the volunteers who maintain it have worked th
  • andrea tomkins: I'm glad you find it restful Bonnie! I didn't on that day. :)
  • Bonnie Upton: I have a true love of this place. I drive to and from Ottawa from the NewmArket area to visit my sister snd now my son who attended uOttawa and has c
  • Amy: That sounds fantastic! As with most travelling, parts are much more comfortable when you're telling them afterwards, but they make a good story.
  • andrea tomkins: If I had to pick, Grundy wins! :)
  • Shawn: What did u like more, Restoule or Grundy? Thank you Shawn