15 Aug, 2007

On my mind

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

A quickie post, I’m behind in my work and need to get back to it.

So. My birthday is coming up and I’m struggling to think of a few things I would like to receive as a birthday gift.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. It reminds me that I have all I want in this little world. Oh sure, I could use a few good books, but there’s nothing that I truly neeeeeeeed. There are things that I love,  but that’s different than need, isn’t it?

Okay, I do need a GPS system for the car. The girls and I drove out to Chantal’s place yesterday, and she lives way out in the sticks. (Her family is sweeter than pie. And so fun! I already invited myself right back there.) Thankgod she gave me good directions, and all I had to do was drive in one straight line. I realized (again) that I would be totally screwed if I ever got lost.  But it is reasonable to ask for an expensive crutch to negate my lousy navigational abilities? I shouldn’t break into a sweat at the thought of taking the wrong exit, but I do. *sigh*

So what’s a good gift for a birthday?

This watch is interesting. Or what about a robe? Hmmm. I do actually need one, but it would have to be knee-length, and devastatingly beautiful. No heavy terry, no flannel bathrobe. Sorry, I’m not being specific, am I? When I say robe I am referring a Mae West style of dress. I want to roll out of bed and look amazing and bodacious just by reaching for a single item of clothing. While I’m on the topic, how is it that some women look great in terry cloth and others, like me, just look like they’re on the verge of being dumped at the local mental hospital?

Maybe it’s a sign of my increasing years, but what I’d really like is a great experience of some kind, domestic or otherwise. For example, I’d love to come home to a new bookshelf in the living room (horizontal, wooden, white, on legs, to fit under the back window) filled with the books that are piling up in our bedroom. Throw in a clean oven and a sushi dinner and I’ll be the happiest birthday girl on the planet.

There’s always art. I would love something new. Or some framing/hanging of my older acquisitions.

Then again, I’d be just as happy with a reloadable Bridgehead gift card too.

Gah. I think I’m just moping. This is a milestone birthday, after all. (In my view milestone birthdays happen in increments of five. :) )

What do you want for your birthday? Give me one realistic wish, and one crazy one … will ya?

8 Responses to "On my mind"

1 | Marla

August 15th, 2007 at 7:33 am

Well, as someone of a certain similar age with similar likes and wants and needs — my birthday wishes were for a new dishwasher, and…big money for the Lands’ End swimsuit that promises to do great things for my figure and comfort.

But the surprise hit was a ceramic bird bath in a lovely shade of blue from Ten Thousand Villages. It made me really, really happy, and I love it though I didn’t even know I wanted it. It makes an excellent water bowl for my jackass cat, who scares away all the birds.

2 | Jen

August 15th, 2007 at 8:19 am

For birthday gifts, I always love to recieve experiences. Such as, tickets to a play, event, show. Cruises on the Ottawa River, paddle boating passes. Steam Train. Scuba Diving lessons, dance lessons.

Happy Birthday in advance. I hope that you get something nice :)

3 | Sharon

August 15th, 2007 at 9:52 am

My birthday too is on the horizon. And I got mine in May. A big Ass Camera. BUT If aske dif I want something else. Money tot ake my yearly trip with the girls.
At least a start.

4 | chantal

August 15th, 2007 at 11:43 am

A realistic wish would be more cooking tools. A few more bowls for my KitchenAid mixer. Some really really good mixing spoons etc…

A crazy one. A trip to NYC, just John and I. I’d like to just jet off with no plans. Unfortunately, no plans just don’t fly when you have kids!

I had SO MUCH fun with your and your girls yesterday. Let’s do it again the week before school starts, but come out earlier, stay for lunch and pray for nice weather and more hide and seek. :)

5 | poter

August 15th, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Oh gosh…this is so fun to think about but seeing that I need to go and start dinner I will use this subject as my ‘drift off to sleep while I think about…..’ subject tonight.

My birthday is a while away, but I would love love love to hire someone to help me do a ‘clean sweep’ and to purge purge purge…I think we have too much stuff and my life would be simpler if I could just live with less stuff.

Or…I would like to go out for dinner just me and my hubs, I miss him!

6 | Natalie

August 15th, 2007 at 3:23 pm

Happy birthday Andrea.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted something.

I’m not married and have no kids so I would ask for a completely decadent day such as doing the aerial ropes course at Fortune, followed by lazing about in the steambaths at LeNordik Spa and topped off by dinner at Cafe Soup Herbe In Chelsea. Ok I just realized aerial ropes course would not qualify as decadent for some.

The offthewall, crazy, could never happen wish would be to pick up for a year and just travel to wherever the winds take me.

7 | BeachMama

August 15th, 2007 at 7:35 pm

Happy Upcoming Birthday!!

For me, I truly have gotten all that I could ask for this year, but if I had to pick one thing for my Birthday that I would really love it would be a day at the Spa. I know I go every year for a massage and pedicure/manicure but I would love the whole day. The one where you have mimosas to start the day and a healthy lunch and you get pampered all the day long. That would be my extravagant gift. Otherwise, I am all taken care of.

8 | debra

August 16th, 2007 at 6:55 am

Happy birthday! I would like the gift of time.
And maybe a lovely iced coffee. That’s all.