13 Mar, 2008

March Break Day three? Let’s call it a mixed bag of slime.

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

The girls had lunch with Mark while I went to the doctor’s. Almost exactly a year ago I was dealing with this. It had returned again, but worse this time, and I was going to get it looked at.

He prescribed something topical, and gave me some instructions, and as we were chatting I casually mentioned a spot on my forehead. As he turned to look and I could see the fun factor suddenly drain out of our conversation.

“Do you spend lots of time in the sun?”
“Uh, it’s not like I sunbathe,” I said. “I have kids. We’re outside all summer.”
He was looking closely at it, at me. I explained how sometimes I accidently scratch it and it kind of flakes.
“Do you wear sunscreen?”
“Yes, but I don’t think I get it all the way up there.” The spot is right next to my hair. And now that I have bangs, they flop overtop of that part of my head. Besides, who wants sunscreen in their hair?

He told me it might be cancerous. Maybe he used the term pre-cancerous. (Why don’t I take notes?) He dabbed it with liquid nitrogen. (And by dabbed I mean pressed down on it with a Q-tip saturated with the stuff.) It hurt, but I didn’t complain. He’s going to get me in to see a dermatologist. It’s a six month wait. But here’s the kicker, it could be nothing, just plain sun ol’ damage. In the meantime I’m to wear an SPF of 30 every day.

Faaaaak.

I walked around the grocery store in a bit of a stupor while I had a prescription filled. I bought some second-rate sushi and ate it in the car. It was cold outside, but the sun was so hot that I had to roll down the window.

Later the same day we went to our local library to participate in a science workshop. The kids were going to be making slime. The lineup to get in was long. The guy leading the workshop was late. All I wanted to do was get out of there. I left the girls to their slime-making and went upstairs to look at some books for an hour.

The rest of the afternoon was an unhappy blur. There is more, but I’ve promised someone else I won’t talk about it now. But I will. Soon. Let’s just say something has changed for one of us, and that it wasn’t expected.

We had dinner at Monkey Joe’s near Westgate. They make a great pizza, but my mind wandered unhappily.

10 Responses to "March Break Day three? Let’s call it a mixed bag of slime."

2 | J.

March 13th, 2008 at 12:40 pm

:( What happen?

Monkey Joe’s is pretty good. I’m always wondering if the waiters are mad at me.. I think it’s part of their ‘act’, but i’m not 100% convinced. I really like their nachos, it’s worth the trip out there.

3 | mel

March 13th, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I’m sorry, Andrea. Even if it turns out to be nothing of consequence, I’m sorry you have to walk around with a big ball of ick in your tummy.

4 | Ginger

March 13th, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Lots of good thoughts and virtual support heading your way. I am sorry that you had an unhappy day. :(

5 | words words

March 13th, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Ditto on Ginger. Six months, blech.

March 14th, 2008 at 8:05 am

re: dermatologist appt. I got the call. My appointment is next week. I guess that’s good news.

7 | Javamom

March 14th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I was going to suggest to get on the phone and find a dermatologist, even if it’s over the border, quicker, but they managed to get you squeezed in. My thought are with you. Good luck.

8 | crunchy carpets

March 14th, 2008 at 11:08 pm

My mom had a flaky bit like that on her face burned off…everything was fine with it.

She did however have melanoma on her leg and so is terrified of this stuff.

Hang in there..

9 | Sharon

March 20th, 2008 at 3:12 pm

SUCKS! BIG TIME. I have spots on my hands where I don’t put sunscreen that I will have the doctor look at when I go April First. I have a list of things.

I so hope it’s not what he said.
Hugs

10 | a peek inside the fish bowl

March 25th, 2008 at 8:18 am

[…] I had my appointment with the dermatologist one afternoon over March Break. Remember I said the wait list was six months long? Well, I guess there was a cancellation because I was in there precisely one week after I saw my regular doctor.The dermaguy was very nice. I was happy about this. I need to have a nice doctor. I need chit chat, and he was accommodating in this department. He then took a look at my forehead and told me the wound that was left by my doctor’s coating of nitro needed to be scraped. […]

• K. Taggart: Yes! My family and I all get the flu shot every year. Why? Because we don't want the flu. We also don't want people we hang out with to get the flu. T
  • Claudette: The Globe article on the meal kit...it's interesting that no where does it mention that the convenience often, for many families, is directly related
  • Amy: I always make the bed, partly because my mom was a stickler for it growing up and partly because I make it easy to do. I have to have the sheets tuck
  • Donna: Thanks for this!! I am going to start this morning. One day at a time right.
  • Natalie Robichaud: I always make my bed. It's a small to do checked off the list and I like getting into a bed that's made at night. What SAD light do you use?
  • Jacquelyn: I've recently started vacuuming the kitchen and dining room floors every day. Previously, I would go weeks (!) between vacuumings. This was prompted
  • Jenn: I have made my bed every day all my life!!! The one day you are allowed to 'not' make your bed is your birthday and I'll admit that I have even made

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.