08 May, 2008

You know what tastes like yucky white paste?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

PC Blue Menu Light Mayonnaise Type Dressing.

Good lord.

I unsealed the top. I tasted it. It couldn’t be. It was disgusting!

Traditionally, we haven’t been Big Mayo People. It used to takes us ages just to get through one little jar. Mark doesn’t touch the stuff. He doesn’t like a lot of dressing on anything, period. Sometimes I like mayo on a sandwich, and if I do have some it has to be a small small WIPING of mayo, just enough to moisten. But the girls really like it. In fact, ham and mayo is one of Emma’s favourite sandwiches and I often pack it for her lunch.

Anyway, I told Mark about how bad this stuff was. He wondered if it was rotten. But it couldn’t be, right? I mean, it was sealed under the cap.

If you’re looking for a decent mayo, may I recommend the competitor, Hellman’s 1/2 The Fat brand.

*shiver*

8 Responses to "You know what tastes like yucky white paste?"

1 | porter

May 8th, 2008 at 10:57 am

I love mayo and I seem to go in spurts where I can’t get enough of it…mmmmm salami and mayo sandwiches (yeah I know that’s gross to everyone else). I ONLY like the real full fat Hellmans yummy goodness. Oh and this morning I bought some of the almond butter, looking forward to trying it….like right now!

2 | Scattered Mom

May 8th, 2008 at 6:10 pm

I’m exactly like you Andrea, with no mayo or just a very tiny bit to moisten. I can’t stand restaurants that slather their sandwiches/burgers in piles of sauce and usually end up scraping it off.

In our house it’s Miracle Whip light. But I may be convinced to try Hellmans…..

3 | karen

May 8th, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Miracle Whip is salad dressing and tasted nothing like mayo. Well maybe mayo that has gone bad.

4 | karen

May 8th, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Why unless your a regular, are all coments held for moderation?

May 8th, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Because of a few bad apples, that’s why. :)

6 | Julie

May 9th, 2008 at 8:05 am

I love condiments. Especially mayo. Yummmm.

7 | Hillary

May 10th, 2008 at 1:38 am

You know, I have not yet bought one of those blue label products and had it taste anywhere near edible.

Run! Run for you life!!!

8 | a peek inside the fish bowl

May 15th, 2008 at 8:47 am

[…] – You know what tastes like yucky white paste? […]

• Jinjer: I love that dog figurine so much!!!!
  • Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.