13 Jun, 2008

Breaking old TV habits

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

Our PVR broke and we’ve been without it for about a week now. It’s a rental. We thought we could just bring it to a Bell centre and get a replacement, and although that seems like it would be a logical solution, apparently That Is Not The Way They Do Things. The PVR is being shipped to us, and it was supposed to arrive in five or so business days. There’s still no sign of the thing.

You what is kind of interesting? The same thing goes through my head every night, about 30 minutes after the kids go to bed. My thought process goes something like this:

“Oh geez, I’m so tired. I think I’m just going to flop down and watch OH CRAP I FORGOT WE DON’T HAVE A PVR.”

Seriously. Every. Night. I secretly wonder if this is a sign of early onset Alzheimer’s.

But you know what happens next? I find something else to do. I muck around on the Internet for awhile or read my book (which happens to be Wuthering Heights right now). It hasn’t been that bad. In fact, I could get used to this.

The girls have accepted a TV-free life as well. Last weekend we reminded the girls that they couldn’t watch TV on Saturday or Sunday morning. (It’s the only time they watch.) And you know what Sarah said, and I quote: “YAY, MORE TIME FOR ART AND READING!”

God I love that kid.

7 Responses to "Breaking old TV habits"

1 | porter

June 13th, 2008 at 9:02 am

I’ve said this before I think, but I could easily live without television. My family could not. I wish our television would break so that nobody would watch it!

June 13th, 2008 at 10:10 am

lol – i’ve heard of some people pretending their TV is broken for that exact reason. :)

3 | Julie

June 13th, 2008 at 11:05 am

What the heck is PVR?

June 13th, 2008 at 11:30 am

Only the greatest technological innovations since electric coffee makers.

PVR = Personal Video Recorder. Sort of like TIVO in the U.S. It’s a very very easy way to record (digitally, stockpile tv shows/movies and skip commericials.

June 13th, 2008 at 12:20 pm

It’s finally here!

Should I hide it?

6 | Mark

June 13th, 2008 at 1:37 pm

It’s here ! Thank Christ. The US Open is on this weekend !

7 | MomOnTheGo

June 14th, 2008 at 5:44 am

I wouldn’t have a tv if we didn’t have a PVR but I wish we didn’t have the tv at all. I have been threatened with explusion from the house for such crazy talk, though.

• Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se
  • Jacquelyn: This is a personal favourite of mine. Try adding a splash of balsamic vinegar to finish the sauteed mushrooms - very umami! Also delicious with thyme

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.