15 Aug, 2008

Summer vacation: Hello Halifax

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Photography|travel talk

I am a tiny bit embarrassed to show you the photo of the JUNGLE-THEMED room we booked during our stay in Halifax. Soooo, let’s just chalk it up to “the things parents do for their kids” and leave it at that, shall we?

The Jungle Room

Oh, and did you know there’s a GIANT HILL in the middle of Halifax??

Funny place to put a hill eh?

Citadel Hill - Halifax

Ha. Just kidding. The hill is actually a historic site. And it was very impressive.

Citadel Hill - Halifax

Citadel Hill - Halifax

We tooled around the Museum of Natural History (free admission on Wednesday nights!) :

Museum of Nature - Halifax

Museum of Nature - Halifax

The downtown was pretty interesting too:

Downtown Halifax

And we strolled around the public gardens:

Public garden in Halifax

And the old cemetery (can anyone guess who’s buried here?):

Can you guess who is buried here?

But we spent most of our time down by the harbour, just looking:

Halifax Harbour

The next stop on our journey?

The stuff of postcards.

6 Responses to "Summer vacation: Hello Halifax"

1 | Alison in Ottawa

August 15th, 2008 at 11:48 am

Hilarous hotel room, which one is it? I want to stay there next time I go to Halifax for work.

I am enjoying your trip and hope to take a similar one when my girls are a little older. Right now they are 3 and almost 6.

August 15th, 2008 at 12:28 pm

It was the Holiday Inn Express on Kearney Road, just outside the city, right off the highway.

The jungle idea was the only reason we booked this place. The girls LOVED it. They had their own little room (as you can see) and loved sleeping in bunk beds.

I am a little more discerning. It could have been better. The wallpaper was peeled in parts, there used to be a curtain covering the room (but it was missing) … and it was a little on the shabby side. Overall, a lower standard than we expected. But, the deal included breakfast and the girls loved it. So I guess we did okay in their eyes.

3 | Bob LeDrew

August 15th, 2008 at 2:40 pm

That’s Kearney LAKE Road to you Central Canadians. ;-)

And re the gravestone:

“Thoshe who drink it, drink it a lot.”

August 16th, 2008 at 10:58 am

re: the gravestone.
To guess this you’d have to know beer. And Halifax.

5 | Melissa

August 18th, 2008 at 10:48 pm

…alexander Keith? Did you get to the maritime museum and see the titanic memorial? I’ve promised Sam we’ll go one day.

August 19th, 2008 at 11:05 am

YES! Melissa guessed it. It was the gravestone of Alexander Keith. And no, we didn’t see the Titantic memorial. When there is so much to see and do you really have to pick and choose! But we did go to one similar kind of museum … it was mostly about The Hector a.k.a. the Scottish Mayflower. I think that was in Pictou.