22 Sep, 2008

you won’t believe what we had as an afternoon snack – it’s a gee dee miracle

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

I don’t normally do my grocery shopping at Shopper’s Drug Mart, but I was returning a couple of movies in the same mall (Westgate) when I realized we needed milk and bread.

The SDM at Westgate is a biggie, built on the premises of a former grocery store. There is a surprisingly large grocery section, great for late-night cravings, but I’ve generally avoided it because (a) this is really not the place to buy groceries and (b) a lot of the food is pretty junky.

I was walking past the frozen foods when something caught my eye. It was edamame. I’d been looking for this stuff at the Superstore and have never found it, but lo, here it was, edamame at SDM, and it was organic no less! (What is edamame? Here’s the wiki.)

I snapped it up and brought it home.

It’s super easy to make. Take 1/4 cup of water and put it into a pot, add salt, bring to a boil, pour in a cup of the frozen edamame, put a lid on the pot, steam for 4 minutes, and drain. I added some coarse salt and ate the whole bowl before I realized I should probably share it with my family so I promptly made a second batch. Emma didn’t want to eat it, but Sarah did, and she loved it.

Sarah and I shared a bowl after school today. Yay! I love it when I find a new veggie to add to our menu.

Tags:

11 Responses to "you won’t believe what we had as an afternoon snack – it’s a gee dee miracle"

1 | The Veg Next Door

September 22nd, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Delish and VERY high in protein. Great school snack for kids.

They’re in the freezer of the Natural Food (Organics) section of Loblaws/Superstore. That’s where I get ours. You can buy the shelled or non-shelled. The shelled is easier and faster to eat. :-)

2 | porter

September 22nd, 2008 at 10:29 pm

believe it or not edamame is a staple in our freezer (four bags usually). my kids eat it several times a week, bug is the biggest fan of it! i love it because if we made a meal where i don’t feel bug will get enough protein (say salmon for instance, she just isn’t a salmon fan) then i toss a handful of edamame on for her.

3 | Mary Lynn

September 22nd, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I LOVE edamame. I’m surprised it’s so hard to find in Ottawa. I sometimes forget how spoiled we are in Markham to have easy access to so many Asian foods. Pretty much all the grocery stores around here carry edamame, both shelled and unshelled. The unshelled is a bit more of a pain to eat, but I find it tastes so much better. I sometimes add a cup of shelled adamame to potato salad to add a bit of protein. So yummy!

My son loves edamame, but I can’t convince my daughter to try it.

4 | Miss Vicky

September 23rd, 2008 at 8:23 am

I hear you can get it at Costco as well. Wee G LOVES edamame…

September 23rd, 2008 at 8:24 am

Costco!?!? Can I get it in a 2kg bag? Because I think I’m going to need it.

6 | The Veg Next Door

September 23rd, 2008 at 8:36 am

Question for you Andrea…did you get the latest Grand River Toys catalogue? Did you notice that they’re selling treadmills and other machines for children? Just wondering what you thought.

September 23rd, 2008 at 8:51 am

Ha. Veg. You know me so well. I was just flipping through the catalogue yesterday and I saw the fitness machines. I think these are sad. Very sad. Why would someone buy this stuff for their kid?

8 | Tali

September 23rd, 2008 at 10:49 am

They’re also at any chinese grocery store – the 168 on somerset has a few varieties, shelled and unshelled. It’s a great grocery store, with a ton of locally made dumplings, and a huge variety of tofu as well.

9 | The Veg Next Door

September 23rd, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Re: treadmills and other exercise machines for kids, I thought it was sad too. Kids need to get up and move. They don’t need assistance doing it.

10 | jennP

September 25th, 2008 at 3:47 pm

I tried a recipe a while back for Edamame Hummus. Basically it was very similar to hummus, except you use edamame instead of chick peas. it is SO tasty! a few people are turned off by the bright green color though!

11 | Melissa

September 30th, 2008 at 2:11 pm

We eat edamame here too all the time – same recommendation too – in the organic freezer section in Zehrs/Sobeys (Zehrs is the Loblaws/Superstore here in KW).

Leanne loves edamame – Sam not so much.

• link alternatif formasiqq: We're Australia's largest supply of expert critiques based on unbiased evcaluation and rigofous testing.
  • andrea tomkins: Thanks Lynn! I'm all about keepin' it real here. :) There's no point glossing over the fact that it took me three days to get over our jet lag, but I
  • Lynn: Last time I was at the one in Kanata, they didn't have any of the giant popcorn (which I am embarrassed to admit, makes up at least 25% of my at-home
  • Lynn: I'm really enjoying your Thailand series but I have to say, it is not inspiring me to travel at all. I am a terrible, stressed out, freaked out travel
  • Lynn: And this is why I just cannot bring myself to leave Canada. You are superheroes!
  • Jinjer: OMGgggggg I would've died on the spot I'm so terrified of bugs. YOur daughter is brave, reaching in there to remove the bag of nuts. And she must REAL
  • barristers: I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thank you, I will try and check back more often. How frequently