01 Dec, 2008

Family advent day one: help those less fortunate

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy

advent envelopes - day one

At the last minute I decided to remake all of our advent envelopes. So last night I spent about 90 minutes with a pair of scissors, a glue stick, and a pad of scrapbooking paper. Unfortunately I can’t find our mini-clothespins. I know I put them somewhere safe… hmm…

ANYWAY, I wanted our family to kick off the Christmas season thinking about someone other than ourselves. Today’s advent message was:

Help those who are less fortunate. Choose something from the World Vision catalogue.

The catalogue is online, which is great, because it makes browsing/purchasing very very easy.

In the past we’ve bought roosters and hens (“They get married and make CHICKS, don’t they mummy!”)and fruit trees. The catalogue has a lot of great ideas, so many, in fact, it is difficult to decide what to give. I feel good about the fact that whatever we choose, we’re making the world a tiny bit better.

p.s. this is part of my 25 days of Christmas challenge. It’s never too late to play along!

Tags:

7 Responses to "Family advent day one: help those less fortunate"

1 | LO

December 1st, 2008 at 10:52 am

The World Vision Catalogue was our one stop shopping destination this year. We bought animals and immunizations and trees and medicine and soccer balls and clothes and food in the names of our family members. Our gift to the less fortunate is also our gift to our family members this year!
It felt good AND the catalogue is so smart! I found that it made the ‘doing’ a lot more exciting and thought provoking for the kids!
:)Lo

2 | porter

December 1st, 2008 at 11:15 am

Nice! I didn’t use your 25 days of Christmas button because I didn’t know if we had permission???

December 1st, 2008 at 11:23 am

As long as you save it locally (i.e. to your own computer), and not leave it linked to my server… go right ahead!

I’m afraid I’m going to max out my bandwidth this month.

Thanks for asking porter… !

4 | Aimee Larsen

December 1st, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I shopped at our local thrift store…does that count. Proceeds go to charity…I’m SO playing along!

5 | peata

December 1st, 2008 at 7:19 pm

great idea. some people are so caring.

6 | scatteredmom

December 1st, 2008 at 9:23 pm

My advent thing for the day was more simple…although Jake has a big final exam tomorrow, and an assignment due so he was working on it.

We made the house smell like Christmas. Part science experiment, part Christmas thingy.

Can I use the button too?

7 | Mom On The Go

December 2nd, 2008 at 3:09 pm

I had planned to have my husband read from our rhyming bible but unfortunately he doesn’t consider a rushed mention in the middle of breakfast to count as advance notice :+) I ended up writing up our activities last night and substituting ‘unpack Christmas books’ since I had already did that. It’s tough this getting organized business.