19 Jan, 2009

We have a new member of the family…. (now with photo!)

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

… and her (or his?) name is B.B – a sweet little budgie we bought from a Kanata-area breeder last night.

S/he is so young we can’t tell what gender it is yet. B.B. might stand for Billy Blue. Or Betty Boo. We won’t know until the bird gets a little older its cere changes colour (that’s the little spot right above the beak).

Our new friend B.B.

Choosing her him it could have been a bit challenging. There were three young birds to choose from. B.B. was the youngest of the three hatchlings, babies of a white bird and a blue bird.  The two siblings were darker blue, and reminded me of our first budgie (appropriately named Blue). The two fluttered energetically around the room while we were trying to decide. One (or both?) crash-landed a couple times. Ouch! B.B. made for the valance of a nearby curtain once, but ultimately charmed us by climbing up my scarf and hunkering down underneath my hair. The girls hooted with laughter when they saw it peeking out.

I guess I didn’t pick the budgie as much as it picked me.

B.B. is a softer, more bleached-out blue than her siblings. She definitely got a dose from the white parent. Her cheeks are periwinkle blue and she has adorable black button eyes. (There I go, calling her a she. She’s so cute she must be a girl bird! I’m secretly hoping for a male, but I won’t really mind either way.)

B.B. has been pretty quiet this morning. I got a pretty wing raise in greeting and B.B. let me give its head a little scratch. I’m off to buy some millet before I settle in to work for the day.

Photos to come soon.

ETA: I got a nice chirp and B.B’s had a bit of fresh millet. Yay! I’m debating what the initials will eventually stand for. Bonnie Bird? Baby budgie? Binky Beak? Suggestions are welcome. (Thanks for yours Bob!)

10 Responses to "We have a new member of the family…. (now with photo!)"

1 | Bob LeDrew

January 19th, 2009 at 9:39 am

What about Blues Boy, just like Mr. King?

3 | words words

January 19th, 2009 at 11:51 am

Get him a little laptop. Blogger Budgie.

4 | LO

January 19th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Bella Blue
oh my gosh i just looked up and aw someone else said the same thing so i am leaving it here so you know…..

5 | porter

January 19th, 2009 at 4:56 pm

My first thought was also Bella Blue which I think is neat.
I also like Bonnie Blue tell you why later.

January 19th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Aaaaand, here she is on YouTube!

p.s. Good name suggestions everyone!

7 | Joanne Hughes

January 21st, 2009 at 11:49 am

barak bama

8 | vanessa

January 22nd, 2009 at 10:13 am

beautiful
i had to look after my friends love birds – rainbow & cloudy – who lived in a beautiful ornate cage their chirpy song is lovely in the morning
[ & you know you have had a good night when the cage floor starts to feel like your tongue !]

9 | That new little nipper >> a peek inside the fishbowl

March 20th, 2009 at 8:47 am

[…] that tiny adorable ball of feathers we brought home in January? Well, he’s become a 30 gram bundle of […]

10 | A B.B. update and other things >> a peek inside the fishbowl

May 22nd, 2009 at 8:02 am

[…] sitting here finishing my coffee while B.B. the budgie is splashing away in his birdie-sized bath tub. His feathers are so wet he can’t fly. […]

• Raven: To those questioning the term "duck" here's some interesting etymology of "duck" as a verb which makes underduck make more sense to me. https://www
  • Raven: I'm from the west coast of Canada and my friends and I always called it an underduck because you DUCK UNDER the swing at the end. * Duck... As in w
  • molly: this was ... tremendous ... maybe that word is too uplifting for some but I stand by it. thanks so much for sharing it!
  • Ang Antos: I would respectfully disagree that the parks should open up individual reviews for each site, part of camping is the adventure, the not knowing and di
  • Maureen Kilpatrick: I love reading books and last year I read the most I’ve ever read since I started tracking on Goodreads. It was mostly due to the pandemic and the l
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive weathering - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] am happy to say that I am still making my bed every day and reading lots of books. I don’t want to oversell it, but the making the bed
  • jdope: It is ridiculously addictive, if you can get your hands on some it won't last long. FYI The ingredients on the Ikea Mustard Dill Jar: Canola Oil, M