02 Feb, 2009

Valentine’s Day card crafting for kids: DIY lollipop flowers

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|File under crafty

DIY lollipop flower for Valentine's Day

I’ve seen this idea elsewhere but couldn’t find a template for a lollipop flower I really liked … so I made one.(Now that I look at it I’m not sure if it turned out very flower-like. It reminds me of a ballerina tutu. Oh well, the girls like it, so I do too!)

Backstory: I gave up on store bought Valentine cards (I’m just soooo sick of SpongeBob and Barbie and Bratz) but I also realize it might be a lot to ask one kid to make 30 handmade Valentine cards (or more!).

So this is my compromise. Half-mass produced, half customized. :)

It’s easy:

• Download the PDF template.
  • Print it out as many times as you need.
  • Cut out the flowers.
  • Decorate and address them on the underside. You can also cut out green “leaves” for this purpose and tape them to the lollipop “stems,” but I’m taking the easy route and skipping that part. :)
  • Punch a hole in the middle of the flower and push a lollipop through.
  • You are done!

I’ve promised myself that we’re not going to be cranking these out the night before. So we’re starting today!

17 Responses to "Valentine’s Day card crafting for kids: DIY lollipop flowers"

1 | The Veg Next Door

February 2nd, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Nice idea. I’m going the store-bought route this year. I bought some cards last year at Chapter’s when they were on sale for half price. They’re original and pretty. Once The Pea gets older we’ll do the handmade route.

Oh, Bratz! Who is buying this garbage?

2 | BeachMama

February 2nd, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Very cute, I have seen these before, possibly on Martha. We usually make ours but when I saw a box of Star Wars Valentines, I knew J would be so thrilled to give those out this year. So we will just make some for the family instead.

3 | Lee

February 2nd, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Very nice!

(And they do so put our homemade efforts to shame.)

4 | crunchy

February 2nd, 2009 at 8:28 pm

You have saved me!!!

This will be perfect for both the grade one’er and the preschooler..phew

February 2nd, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Oh Lee, those are great. Perfect for little folks! :)

6 | Lee

February 3rd, 2009 at 10:02 am

Andrea: Thanks for your kind words. I keep forgetting about the age difference between our kids!

7 | vanessa

February 4th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

one way to stand your valentines date up !
looks great , ice idea
i’m only jealous ……………..and frustrated that swizzels love hearts have no e cards for a low budget and environment friendly alternative to the extortionate prices of most cards , home made wins !

8 | vanessa

February 4th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

one way to stand your valentines date up !
looks great , ice idea

9 | Kim

February 9th, 2009 at 8:23 am

Hi there. I love this idea. I can’t stand those valentines you buy in a box. My problem is I need to write Joyeuse St-Valentin – do you have just the template without the writing?

Cheers!

February 9th, 2009 at 9:37 am

I made a French verison. Email me if you’d like a copy.

11 | Linky love: >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 14th, 2009 at 9:05 am

[…] just realized my lollipop Valentines card craft was linked from a very cool new-to-me website called Craftershock. Check out all the […]

12 | A bouquet of Valentines « Another day, another thought…or two.

February 12th, 2010 at 12:21 am

[…] I say original idea because that all changed with Andrea Tomkins‘ (@missfish) blog post: Valentine’s Day card crafting with kids, DIY lollipop flowers. I couldn’t believe it. These were perfect for my daughter’s lollipop valentines. The […]

13 | gps systems for cars

October 24th, 2010 at 10:07 am

Thanks for sharing this lollipop flowers to us. My nephew is having a birthday on next week, this cute lollipop flowers can be a surprise for her. great post. bookmark your website and will come back again.

15 | Savvy Housekeeping » 3 DIY Valentine’s Day Cards

February 11th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

[…] think this Lollipop Flowers from A Peek Inside The Fishbowl is very clever. It’s the easiest to make, but it still packs a wallop … of love? Well, […]

16 | A Valentine’s Day craft idea >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 27th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

[…] Lollipop flowers (includes a free template) […]

17 | Red Tricycle | Store Bought No More: 13 Easy Homemade Valentine’s Day Cards

February 7th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

[…] Flower Valentines A Peek Inside the Fishbowl offers another take on the lollipop treat. Thanks to the printable PDF, this pretty card […]

• Jinjer: I love that dog figurine so much!!!!
  • Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.