02 Feb, 2009

Valentine’s Day card crafting for kids: DIY lollipop flowers

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|File under crafty

DIY lollipop flower for Valentine's Day

I’ve seen this idea elsewhere but couldn’t find a template for a lollipop flower I really liked … so I made one.(Now that I look at it I’m not sure if it turned out very flower-like. It reminds me of a ballerina tutu. Oh well, the girls like it, so I do too!)

Backstory: I gave up on store bought Valentine cards (I’m just soooo sick of SpongeBob and Barbie and Bratz) but I also realize it might be a lot to ask one kid to make 30 handmade Valentine cards (or more!).

So this is my compromise. Half-mass produced, half customized. :)

It’s easy:

• Download the PDF template.
  • Print it out as many times as you need.
  • Cut out the flowers.
  • Decorate and address them on the underside. You can also cut out green “leaves” for this purpose and tape them to the lollipop “stems,” but I’m taking the easy route and skipping that part. :)
  • Punch a hole in the middle of the flower and push a lollipop through.
  • You are done!

I’ve promised myself that we’re not going to be cranking these out the night before. So we’re starting today!

17 Responses to "Valentine’s Day card crafting for kids: DIY lollipop flowers"

1 | The Veg Next Door

February 2nd, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Nice idea. I’m going the store-bought route this year. I bought some cards last year at Chapter’s when they were on sale for half price. They’re original and pretty. Once The Pea gets older we’ll do the handmade route.

Oh, Bratz! Who is buying this garbage?

2 | BeachMama

February 2nd, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Very cute, I have seen these before, possibly on Martha. We usually make ours but when I saw a box of Star Wars Valentines, I knew J would be so thrilled to give those out this year. So we will just make some for the family instead.

3 | Lee

February 2nd, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Very nice!

(And they do so put our homemade efforts to shame.)

4 | crunchy

February 2nd, 2009 at 8:28 pm

You have saved me!!!

This will be perfect for both the grade one’er and the preschooler..phew

February 2nd, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Oh Lee, those are great. Perfect for little folks! :)

6 | Lee

February 3rd, 2009 at 10:02 am

Andrea: Thanks for your kind words. I keep forgetting about the age difference between our kids!

7 | vanessa

February 4th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

one way to stand your valentines date up !
looks great , ice idea
i’m only jealous ……………..and frustrated that swizzels love hearts have no e cards for a low budget and environment friendly alternative to the extortionate prices of most cards , home made wins !

8 | vanessa

February 4th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

one way to stand your valentines date up !
looks great , ice idea

9 | Kim

February 9th, 2009 at 8:23 am

Hi there. I love this idea. I can’t stand those valentines you buy in a box. My problem is I need to write Joyeuse St-Valentin – do you have just the template without the writing?

Cheers!

February 9th, 2009 at 9:37 am

I made a French verison. Email me if you’d like a copy.

11 | Linky love: >> a peek inside the fishbowl

February 14th, 2009 at 9:05 am

[…] just realized my lollipop Valentines card craft was linked from a very cool new-to-me website called Craftershock. Check out all the […]

12 | A bouquet of Valentines « Another day, another thought…or two.

February 12th, 2010 at 12:21 am

[…] I say original idea because that all changed with Andrea Tomkins‘ (@missfish) blog post: Valentine’s Day card crafting with kids, DIY lollipop flowers. I couldn’t believe it. These were perfect for my daughter’s lollipop valentines. The […]

13 | gps systems for cars

October 24th, 2010 at 10:07 am

Thanks for sharing this lollipop flowers to us. My nephew is having a birthday on next week, this cute lollipop flowers can be a surprise for her. great post. bookmark your website and will come back again.

15 | Savvy Housekeeping » 3 DIY Valentine’s Day Cards

February 11th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

[…] think this Lollipop Flowers from A Peek Inside The Fishbowl is very clever. It’s the easiest to make, but it still packs a wallop … of love? Well, […]

16 | A Valentine’s Day craft idea >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 27th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

[…] Lollipop flowers (includes a free template) […]

17 | Red Tricycle | Store Bought No More: 13 Easy Homemade Valentine’s Day Cards

February 7th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

[…] Flower Valentines A Peek Inside the Fishbowl offers another take on the lollipop treat. Thanks to the printable PDF, this pretty card […]

• Karen: That is completely frick’n awesome!!!
  • David Lynch: Good job indeed! My grandfather was Donald David Johannsen, son of Charles Augustus Johannsen, and I definitely got the carpenter genes from them. The
  • RS: Wow, what a neat idea and to be dedicated to do it every single day. Loved it!
  • joy: i watched it all the way through and it made me teary. And I don't even know you that well. you have a good life.
  • Jinjer: I. LOVE. THIS!!!!!
  • Greg Escaper: The weather is not good outside, so that is why I don’t ice to stay out on the weekend. Instead, I force my friends to go to the escape room as it i
  • software akuntansi dagang: I believe everything posted made a great deal of sense. But, what about this? suppose you were to create a awesome title? I mean, I don't want to tel