05 Mar, 2009

What’s your karaoke song?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Memes/blog awards etc

I have never ever participated in karaoke singing. I’m not convinced anyone would want to be subjected to my warblings, but I have been to enough karaoke evenings to know that everyone has “their song” and it varies wildly from person to person. It is completely unpredictable. People have surprised me with Annie Lennox, Frank Sinatra, and everything else in between.

So tell me, what’s your song?

(Question applies even if you’re like me and would only consider going onstage if forced by knifepoint.)

This is mine.

It makes me long for the days when two hours of pushin’ broom could buy an 8 x 12 four bedroom. (What is that anyway?)

ETA: HA. I just looked up the lyrics and realized it’s “eight by twelve four-bit room.”

*slaps head*

16 Responses to "What’s your karaoke song?"

1 | words words

March 5th, 2009 at 7:19 am

I’ve only done it once. I warmed them up with Tony Bennett’s “I left my heart in San Fransisco”, moved them to painful tears of lost love with Elvis Costello’s “Alison”, then closed with Young MC’s “Bust a Move”.

You’re making me want to go to the Legion in Iqaluit….

2 | words words

March 5th, 2009 at 7:25 am

And, “King of the Road” is a fantastic choice. Nice.

3 | Ginger

March 5th, 2009 at 7:37 am

I have NEVER participated in Karaoke and I never plan to. I was in band for a reason! :) Although my singing isn’t too bad. Anyway…I would chose “Spirit in the Sky” by Norman Greenbaum. I love that song and it always gets me in a better mood. When I need a pick-me-up I turn up that song nice and loud!

4 | BeachMama

March 5th, 2009 at 8:26 am

I used to do Karaoke all the time! I sang a little bit of everything. John Cougar, Alanis Morisette, U2…. Usually someone would pick the song for me and I would sing it. I always had to be first out of our group (they were chickens but much better singers than I) and always, always had a shot to warm up my vocal cords. Would love to go again one day, but would have to be with a bunch of friends for sure.

March 5th, 2009 at 9:01 am

Ha. Good songs everyone!

I have often wondered about the psychological makeup of people who DO karaoke vs. those of us who would NEVER DO karaoke. :)

I like to sing in the shower sometimes, but that’s about it!

6 | Mary Lynn

March 5th, 2009 at 9:01 am

I’ve only done karaoke a handful of times, but I did Would I Lie to You by the Eurythmics a couple of those times and managed not to embarrass myself.

7 | Chantal

March 5th, 2009 at 9:15 am

I don’t do Karaoke but I do LOVE RockBand and my song on RockBand is We Got the Beat by the Go Go’s. LOVE IT and I always get 100%!

8 | Nicol

March 5th, 2009 at 10:11 am

I love to sing, but I haven’t been “on stage” in years and I don’t think you could even count high school concert choir as anything. I would never do Karaoke. It reminds me of our trip to Tulum Mexico and the house we rented had a bar next to it. We listened to karaoke late into the night. I can now laugh about it, but at the time with a 10 month old it was horrible.

If I had to choose a song….hmmm…I love Norah Jones so perhaps I would sing “Come Away with Me.”

9 | Loukia

March 5th, 2009 at 11:23 am

I have never done karaoke but always thought it would be fun. However I’d have be really drunk. I just don’t have the guts to sing on stage in front of an audience. My voice is absolutely terrible and people would boo me off the stage. At least if I had a few drinks in me, that could be my excuse for sucking!

10 | Soire

March 5th, 2009 at 1:16 pm

The last time I did Karaoke, I sang Amanda Marshall’s “Birmingham” – Sad song, but her vocal pattern matches mine enough that I don’t sound howly ;) Normally I sing Janis Joplin – Me & Bobby McGee though.

I’m drawn to Siren songs ;)

11 | raino

March 5th, 2009 at 4:02 pm

mine is Crazy; Patsy Cline of course!

12 | Miss Vicky

March 5th, 2009 at 4:08 pm

These Boots are made for Walkin’. Would it be anything else?

13 | Nadine AKA Scarbiedoll

March 5th, 2009 at 5:27 pm

#1 Hit Me With Your Best Shot — Pat Benetar

#2 Love Will Keep Us Together — Captain & Tenille

Because a good Karaoke song should be a party song — something that gets the crowd on your side.

14 | Patti Church

March 6th, 2009 at 10:38 am

I’m usually a back up singer when others want to take the stage. My preference is also to watch people Karaoke especially China Doll (the asian drag queen) at Shanghai on Somerset.

15 | Nat

March 7th, 2009 at 8:54 am

(Hi, I’m Nat, we’ll be brunching together on later today. If I can get my butt off the couch.)

I’ve done Karaoke once. My sister and I were having a lost week during spring break. The guy before us did a killer stunning version Nights in White Satin.

We chose New York New York — bad idea. Turns out, we can’t really sing.

Being totally addicted to Rock Band, I must I love to sing Creep by Radiohead. Although part, I really love Wanted Dead or Alive… :)

16 | vanessa

March 8th, 2009 at 9:25 am

my name is louka , marlena on the wall or a bit of tracey chapman