11 Apr, 2009

Sarah, you’re eight

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

Dear Sarah,

This was you when you were a baby:

Sarah so small

… and this was you this morning:

Sarah is eight

It’s been our tradition to serve a special birthday breakfast in bed. So this morning, at your request, you had a freshly-baked croissant, breakfast sausages, yogurt, and hot chocolate.

(I hope you always remember that I set my alarm for 4:30 a.m. so I could take the croissants out of the freezer and give them sufficient time to defrost and rise before I got up a second time at 7:00 to bake them and make your breakfast.)

You’ve already opened your new Junior Scientist-style microscope and we’ve all looked at strands of our hair, the exoskeleton of an ant, and compared grains of table salt and sea salt. Your father is about to prick himself with a sewing needle so he can look at his own blood.

You and your sister are playing with the Playmobil guinea pigs she gave you. (The joke here is that you’re highly allergic to guinea pigs in real life and it makes you a bit sad knowing you’ll never be able to hold a guinea pig without breaking out in itchy hives.)

Sarah, you are a great girl. You have a wonderful sense of humour and you are a true friend of friends. You have a big big heart. You love to kiss and cuddle (although not so much with your sister) which is great because you are highly huggable. You don’t like to get out of bed in the morning. (In fact, I am your personal alarm clock. It takes a lot of hugging and kissing and prodding to get you out from under the covers.) You love to sing. You love to read, and you’re immensely proud of your goal to read every Beverly Cleary book at home and at school. Your creativity is a constant source of delight and amazement. Yesterday you made yourself an Easter basket out of an orange juice carton and some felt, and this year you achieved your lifelong dream of having a piece of your artwork displayed at the National Gallery. And if early results are any indication it looks like you’re going to be good in math too (you must get that from your GrandPapa).

Sarah, I wanted you to know that our lives are miles better simply because you are in it, and I hope you always know that. Thank you for being such a honey of a girl.

p.s. Daddy was slightly sorry that you were born on Masters weekend, but I think you’ve made up for it in spades.

Tags:

12 Responses to "Sarah, you’re eight"

1 | LO

April 11th, 2009 at 9:57 am

Just lovely!

2 | DaniGirl

April 11th, 2009 at 10:33 am

Happy Birthday Sarah, from all of us! The boys still ask occasionally when you and your sister will come back to play.

3 | BeachMama

April 11th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Happy Birthday Sarah! Hope you have another fantastic party day to add to the ones you have already had. And what a wonderful Mom you have who got up and made you a special breakfast in bed. Have a great day!

4 | porter

April 11th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Happy Birthday Sarah!!!!

5 | Jen

April 11th, 2009 at 3:06 pm

What a wonderful words, for an obviously wonderful girl! Happy birthday Sarah!

6 | Ginger

April 11th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Happy Birthday Sarah!

7 | Rebecca

April 11th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Beautiful post. Happy Birthday!

8 | Rebecca

April 11th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Beautiful post. Happy Birthday!

9 | Loukia

April 11th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Lovely post! Happy birthday to your lovely daughter. She is beautiful. And congrats on having her art work on display!!

10 | mrsgryphon

April 11th, 2009 at 10:44 pm

What a lovely description of your girl… I’m sure she’ll treasure those words!

Happy Birthday, Sarah! (from one Sarah, to another!)

11 | zoom

April 12th, 2009 at 10:54 am

Happy Birthday Sarah. You sound like such a lovely and well-loved person. I hope you enjoy your year of being eight.

12 | Tales of life with a girl on the go » Blog Archive » Happy birthday happenings

August 3rd, 2009 at 8:29 pm

[…] was a celebration from start to finish. I brought her breakfast in bed as I read about a Andrea at A Peak Inside the Fishbowl doing for her children. I’m particularly proud of myself for remembering the idea over the last couple of months. […]

• andrea tomkins: I'm happy to have the one tent! This particular site wasn't big enough to accommodate two tents, even two smaller ones. The view at this site was love
  • Splake: One big tent or two small? Hm? 2 small is better, me thinks. Views?
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Silent Lake 2018: last post! - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] been a busy week! The highlights: I got to fly on a vintage WWII bomber and Mark and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary with a little
  • Bloodless: The park definitely is super-fun. I agree about the asphalt pathways - which is why we definitely wear our water shoes. The Vortex is an interesting
  • andrea tomkins: It was REALLY special. The more I think about it, the more grateful I am to have had this experience. re: the volume. Everyone was given headphones
  • Brien Marshall: Thanks for sharing that - what a way to get a visceral sense of how those airmen must have felt, minus the extra fear of not knowing if this would be
  • Ginger: And now I read part two and followed your link back to hiking with fly paper attached to your hat... Maybe camping in Canada isn't so different tha