11 Apr, 2009

Sarah, you’re eight

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

Dear Sarah,

This was you when you were a baby:

Sarah so small

… and this was you this morning:

Sarah is eight

It’s been our tradition to serve a special birthday breakfast in bed. So this morning, at your request, you had a freshly-baked croissant, breakfast sausages, yogurt, and hot chocolate.

(I hope you always remember that I set my alarm for 4:30 a.m. so I could take the croissants out of the freezer and give them sufficient time to defrost and rise before I got up a second time at 7:00 to bake them and make your breakfast.)

You’ve already opened your new Junior Scientist-style microscope and we’ve all looked at strands of our hair, the exoskeleton of an ant, and compared grains of table salt and sea salt. Your father is about to prick himself with a sewing needle so he can look at his own blood.

You and your sister are playing with the Playmobil guinea pigs she gave you. (The joke here is that you’re highly allergic to guinea pigs in real life and it makes you a bit sad knowing you’ll never be able to hold a guinea pig without breaking out in itchy hives.)

Sarah, you are a great girl. You have a wonderful sense of humour and you are a true friend of friends. You have a big big heart. You love to kiss and cuddle (although not so much with your sister) which is great because you are highly huggable. You don’t like to get out of bed in the morning. (In fact, I am your personal alarm clock. It takes a lot of hugging and kissing and prodding to get you out from under the covers.) You love to sing. You love to read, and you’re immensely proud of your goal to read every Beverly Cleary book at home and at school. Your creativity is a constant source of delight and amazement. Yesterday you made yourself an Easter basket out of an orange juice carton and some felt, and this year you achieved your lifelong dream of having a piece of your artwork displayed at the National Gallery. And if early results are any indication it looks like you’re going to be good in math too (you must get that from your GrandPapa).

Sarah, I wanted you to know that our lives are miles better simply because you are in it, and I hope you always know that. Thank you for being such a honey of a girl.

p.s. Daddy was slightly sorry that you were born on Masters weekend, but I think you’ve made up for it in spades.

12 Responses to "Sarah, you’re eight"

1 | LO

April 11th, 2009 at 9:57 am

Just lovely!

2 | DaniGirl

April 11th, 2009 at 10:33 am

Happy Birthday Sarah, from all of us! The boys still ask occasionally when you and your sister will come back to play.

3 | BeachMama

April 11th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Happy Birthday Sarah! Hope you have another fantastic party day to add to the ones you have already had. And what a wonderful Mom you have who got up and made you a special breakfast in bed. Have a great day!

4 | porter

April 11th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Happy Birthday Sarah!!!!

5 | Jen

April 11th, 2009 at 3:06 pm

What a wonderful words, for an obviously wonderful girl! Happy birthday Sarah!

6 | Ginger

April 11th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Happy Birthday Sarah!

7 | Rebecca

April 11th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Beautiful post. Happy Birthday!

8 | Rebecca

April 11th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Beautiful post. Happy Birthday!

9 | Loukia

April 11th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Lovely post! Happy birthday to your lovely daughter. She is beautiful. And congrats on having her art work on display!!

10 | mrsgryphon

April 11th, 2009 at 10:44 pm

What a lovely description of your girl… I’m sure she’ll treasure those words!

Happy Birthday, Sarah! (from one Sarah, to another!)

11 | zoom

April 12th, 2009 at 10:54 am

Happy Birthday Sarah. You sound like such a lovely and well-loved person. I hope you enjoy your year of being eight.

12 | Tales of life with a girl on the go » Blog Archive » Happy birthday happenings

August 3rd, 2009 at 8:29 pm

[…] was a celebration from start to finish. I brought her breakfast in bed as I read about a Andrea at A Peak Inside the Fishbowl doing for her children. I’m particularly proud of myself for remembering the idea over the last couple of months. […]

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• Claudette: Congratulations all around...weight loss, new gig...Awesome!
  • Amy: A friend of mine makes tomato soup by taking a can of tomatoes, blending them a bit, and thickening it with flour or cornstarch.
  • James Hale: Long time, no speak. Jo and I love Terra20. Looking forward to your writing there. Speaking of diets, we've been doing keto since October, feeling gre
  • andrea tomkins: Lisa, I just LOVE the idea of cheeseburgers for breakfast. Sounds like the perfect hot meal, especially for growing kids!
  • andrea tomkins: The amount of sugar in grocery store products is positively astounding. Caesar salad dressing! Pita crisps! Ketchup! Battered fish! I wish I had a bet
  • Amy: I've recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, it's made me take a lot harder look at all the sugar in my diet. Even though I was trying to
  • Lisa from Iroqouis: I have no problem with ribs for breakfast. I love leftovers in the morning. No fuss no muss. Isn't that what leftover Chinese food and pizza is for