25 May, 2009

A bloggy APB: there’s an art thief in Ottawa

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Ottawa

I saw this on local artist Alison Fowler’s website and had to share it with you.

Someone has stolen one of her paintings. Here it is:

Stolen painting

Alison has a studio in West Wellington, upstairs from Chick Pea Boutique on Wellington Street.

Alison was upstairs in the studio when the painting was stolen. She heard her door open but no one came upstairs. She went down to check to see what was going on when she suddenly realized the painting was gone.

She’s filed a police report and it now looks like she might have to start bolting her paintings to the wall.

What’s worse, this isn’t the only time this has happened.

I feel sad for Alison, but strangely, also for the person who stole it. Who does such a thing? What on earth were they thinking? Don’t they know that Karma’s a bitch?

10 Responses to "A bloggy APB: there’s an art thief in Ottawa"

1 | Loukia

May 25th, 2009 at 9:03 am

I’ve been in her gallery before with my mom, she is a very talented artist. I’m sad this happened to her, too. Who would do something like that? So wrong. I hope the painting is found and returned to her.

2 | Mary Lynn

May 25th, 2009 at 10:23 am

That’s horrible! Such a beautiful painting, too.

3 | BeachMama

May 25th, 2009 at 11:13 am

As awful as it is to have her painting stolen on the bright side it puts her up with the big guys (thinking Monet, Renoir) on Art that is in demand, so much so that someone is willing to take a chance on stealing it

I do hope he/she is caught and her painting comes back.

4 | Trea

May 25th, 2009 at 1:40 pm

What a beautiful painting … I hope it is returned safely. Keep us updated.

5 | Angela

May 25th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I had a piece of artwork “claimed” from a postal carrier, and they released it without appropriate Id back in the fall. It was an original oil painting, shipped and fully insured from Germany. Thankfully, we were able to have the insurance paid out and the artist painted something new for me – but I can’t imagine how it feels to have something you have worked so hard on stolen. As the recipient/owner of the painting, I felt robbed, but for the artist it must be worse.

I hope that they can find it.

6 | lacoop

May 25th, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Urrrh I hate thieves! But good for you for posting the image. It is easy enough to remember, so it’ll stick with me for a while. How sweet it would be to catch them.

7 | Jen

May 25th, 2009 at 7:32 pm

That’s so wrong. I hope it makes it back home in one piece.

8 | ALISON FOWLER

May 25th, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Andrea for the blog and thank you everyone for the kind words. I, too, hope it comes back.

9 | ALISON FOWLER

May 26th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Just a note. I was just interviewed by Jeff Semple from CBC today and my story will be on the 6:00 news tonight. Yay!

May 27th, 2009 at 8:59 am

The CBC piece is online, probably only for today. If you go to http://www.cbc.ca/newsatsixottawa/ and click on the latest newscast you can watch the story about Alison. It starts about 18 minutes into the newscast.

• FD: We love puzzles and my kids have been talking non-stop about exploding kittens so the exploding kittens puzzle ticks off two things on our list all in
  • Nora: Posted on FB too! ; )
  • Nora: I have a llama fanatic so that windup toy would be a bit! I love Tiggywinkles for stocking stuffers, games and puzzles. Thanks for the opportunity!
  • Jacquie: Posted on Facebook too. :)
  • Jacquie: We would finally get Settlers of Catan! I have heard so much about it and think our family would love it.
  • Dani: Stocking Stuffers for my impossible to shop for kids ?
  • Pearl: Star Trek cats & iron on patches. Might browse costumes too.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.