25 May, 2009

A bloggy APB: there’s an art thief in Ottawa

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Ottawa

I saw this on local artist Alison Fowler’s website and had to share it with you.

Someone has stolen one of her paintings. Here it is:

Stolen painting

Alison has a studio in West Wellington, upstairs from Chick Pea Boutique on Wellington Street.

Alison was upstairs in the studio when the painting was stolen. She heard her door open but no one came upstairs. She went down to check to see what was going on when she suddenly realized the painting was gone.

She’s filed a police report and it now looks like she might have to start bolting her paintings to the wall.

What’s worse, this isn’t the only time this has happened.

I feel sad for Alison, but strangely, also for the person who stole it. Who does such a thing? What on earth were they thinking? Don’t they know that Karma’s a bitch?

10 Responses to "A bloggy APB: there’s an art thief in Ottawa"

1 | Loukia

May 25th, 2009 at 9:03 am

I’ve been in her gallery before with my mom, she is a very talented artist. I’m sad this happened to her, too. Who would do something like that? So wrong. I hope the painting is found and returned to her.

2 | Mary Lynn

May 25th, 2009 at 10:23 am

That’s horrible! Such a beautiful painting, too.

3 | BeachMama

May 25th, 2009 at 11:13 am

As awful as it is to have her painting stolen on the bright side it puts her up with the big guys (thinking Monet, Renoir) on Art that is in demand, so much so that someone is willing to take a chance on stealing it

I do hope he/she is caught and her painting comes back.

4 | Trea

May 25th, 2009 at 1:40 pm

What a beautiful painting … I hope it is returned safely. Keep us updated.

5 | Angela

May 25th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I had a piece of artwork “claimed” from a postal carrier, and they released it without appropriate Id back in the fall. It was an original oil painting, shipped and fully insured from Germany. Thankfully, we were able to have the insurance paid out and the artist painted something new for me – but I can’t imagine how it feels to have something you have worked so hard on stolen. As the recipient/owner of the painting, I felt robbed, but for the artist it must be worse.

I hope that they can find it.

6 | lacoop

May 25th, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Urrrh I hate thieves! But good for you for posting the image. It is easy enough to remember, so it’ll stick with me for a while. How sweet it would be to catch them.

7 | Jen

May 25th, 2009 at 7:32 pm

That’s so wrong. I hope it makes it back home in one piece.

8 | ALISON FOWLER

May 25th, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Andrea for the blog and thank you everyone for the kind words. I, too, hope it comes back.

9 | ALISON FOWLER

May 26th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Just a note. I was just interviewed by Jeff Semple from CBC today and my story will be on the 6:00 news tonight. Yay!

May 27th, 2009 at 8:59 am

The CBC piece is online, probably only for today. If you go to http://www.cbc.ca/newsatsixottawa/ and click on the latest newscast you can watch the story about Alison. It starts about 18 minutes into the newscast.

• andrea tomkins: I'm happy to have the one tent! This particular site wasn't big enough to accommodate two tents, even two smaller ones. The view at this site was love
  • Splake: One big tent or two small? Hm? 2 small is better, me thinks. Views?
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Silent Lake 2018: last post! - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] been a busy week! The highlights: I got to fly on a vintage WWII bomber and Mark and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary with a little
  • Bloodless: The park definitely is super-fun. I agree about the asphalt pathways - which is why we definitely wear our water shoes. The Vortex is an interesting
  • andrea tomkins: It was REALLY special. The more I think about it, the more grateful I am to have had this experience. re: the volume. Everyone was given headphones
  • Brien Marshall: Thanks for sharing that - what a way to get a visceral sense of how those airmen must have felt, minus the extra fear of not knowing if this would be
  • Ginger: And now I read part two and followed your link back to hiking with fly paper attached to your hat... Maybe camping in Canada isn't so different tha