26 Jun, 2009

Liveblogging the first day of Summer ’09

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

If you do something twice does that make it a tradition? I did this last year and found it to be a fairly humorous (at least for me) observation of life here at Casa Fishbowl. So here goes.

9:00 a.m.
I’m still in my pjs and there’s a cold cup of coffee on my left. I hate to admit this, and I’m not sure of the reason, but my taste for my morning coffee has been waning. It’s just not tasting as good as it used to.

Mark is at work. As he was lacing up his shoes this morning Sarah asked him where he was going. He laughed.

“I don’t have summer holidays like you do!” he said. We do have some exciting plans this summer. But that’s another post. :)

The girls are watching a recording of Saddle Club right now. Once it’s over I’ll ask them to get dressed. They were up early this morning.

Mark’s dad is coming to pick us up and bring us over to their place for the rest of the day. Their pool is gorgeous. Just looking at it is extremely relaxing. What luxury. I might even bring a book. I’m finally reading “Eat Pray Love.” I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I am. But right now I have to tidy up and get ready to go.

9:20 a.m.
Sarah: ” Don’t forget, it’s NOT SATURDAY.”

10:00 a.m.
It looks like Sarah is building a teepee in the backyard. Emma is watering my tomato plants.

10:10 a.m.
My theory: Michael Jackson is not really dead.

10:15 a.m.
Dumped out the last container of stinking milk from one of yesterday’s school lunches. I WILL NOT MISS THE STINKING MILK.

10:29 a.m.
Dishes washed. Counters cleaned. Dish washing cloth nuked (i’m trying to do that more often now that it’s summer). Bag(s) packed for the day. Waiting for pick up.

Debating choice of reading material for the day given the stack of photo books I just took out of the library.

10:40 a.m.
We watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang last night and I can’t get the soundtrack out of my head. It’s Truly Scrumptious!

11:17 a.m
Officially poolside at my in-laws.

I’m suddenly hating my bathing suit. Recent weight loss has rendered it rather ill-fitting. Time for a two-piece?

11:44 a.m.
A wall of dark clouds heading this way. Crap.

12:20 p.m.
Thunderstorm warning. Temperature drop. Time for lunch.

12:24 p.m.
Cauliflower: the filler vegetable!

12:54 p.m.
Rain. More rain. This party is moving to Bayshore for the next while.

2:56 p.m.
Hit big sale at Old Navy and dropped $150 for new clothes for Emma. I keep telling her to stop growing but she doesn’t listen to me.

4:38 p.m.
Finally got in a swim. Would have liked a bit more sun, but I sure feel refreshed now. Girls are both reading.

5:49 p.m.
Chicken on the BBQ, salad is ready, baguette is sliced, wine is poured, BRING IT ON!

7:02 p.m.
Hoping it won’t be rainy for movies on the beach, and wondering why we haven’t bought new folding chairs yet.

8:20 p.m.
Waiting for movies on the beach to begin at Westboro Beach and the weather is fine. Loving this.

8:31p.m.
Billie Jean was my favourite MJ song.

10:06 p.m.
Home early from Movies on the Beach… got rained out. Boo.

Still annoyed at the SMOKERS.  Why smoke during a movie, around hundreds of other people, many of whom are children?

10:25 p.m.
Kids in bed. Totally pooped. There’s sand in my socks. I’m a little sad we missed the movie tonight but am also looking forward to tucking under the covers with my book. All in all a good first day of summer.

Tags:

14 Responses to "Liveblogging the first day of Summer ’09"

1 | julie

June 26th, 2009 at 9:00 am

Enjoy “Eat, Pray, Love” — perfect summer reading!!

2 | Julie Cole

June 26th, 2009 at 9:08 am

OK, totally not relevant but where do you get saddle club? Is it on anywhere or do you have dvds?
Have a great summer….excited to hear what your plans are!

June 26th, 2009 at 9:19 am

Julie (1) – I’m really into it. Considering Italian lessons.

Julie (2) – We PVR it from PBS!

4 | Caroline

June 26th, 2009 at 10:23 am

I just got the most fabulous two piece (tankini) from Loblaws Joe clothing. You pick your bottom and your top. It’s hot pink and brown, the first two piece I’ve worn in twenty years and I feel beautiful wearing it!!!

5 | alison

June 26th, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Girls and I heading to Westboro beach tonight for Mamma Mia! Will you and your crew be there?

June 26th, 2009 at 2:12 pm

As long as it’s not raining we’re going to try to be there!

7 | The Veg Next Door

June 26th, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I like this tradition.

8 | mrsgryphon

June 26th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Oooo, I adored Eat Pray Love – one of my favourite reads from last year! A great endorsement for all 3 countries (gosh, I want to go to Italy and just eat for 4 months! *sigh*) and led me to investigate meditation, which I had never considered before. Any book that makes me try something new is a winner, as far as I’m concerned!

Hope you have a great summer, with plenty more afternoons pool-side with a good book!

9 | lacoop

June 27th, 2009 at 6:32 am

We had planned to go to the movie as well, but perhaps next time. We did sit on the patio at Westboro Beach all Thursday evening, having dinner and drinks, and enjoying great conversation while the sun set. That place is a gem.

10 | alison

June 27th, 2009 at 6:55 am

We stuck out the rain under our umbrella. It only lasted about 15 minutes, but, by the time the drops had stopped pattering on our makeshift roof, Leah was asleep (it couldn’t have had anything to do with all that running up and down the hill with your girls, could it?) Rachel made it almost all the way to the end, but fell asleep on my lap, wrapped in a blanket after her impromptu swim. It was a very sleepy crew that trudged back to the car. Thanks for the tip about the flashlight. It came in handy!

All in all, a fun evening. We weren’t bothered by smokers where we were sitting, fortunately. It was nice to see you again and to meet Emma and Sarah.

11 | The Veg Next Door

June 27th, 2009 at 7:38 am

Boo to smokers. My biggest pet peeve is people who let their dogs loose at parks. Hello?! Why is it better to let a dog loose at a park where there are lots of people, including children. My rant for the summer.

12 | porter

June 27th, 2009 at 11:10 am

great day!

i couldn’t help but think that maybe just maybe mj was
faking his death…hate to say/think that.

i didn’t like eat pray love…well i’m not quite finished, haven’t started reading the love part. maybe i should push on and try to finish it.

yuck to the smokers?????

13 | The Veg Next Door

June 27th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Porter: are you confused about smokers?

I think MJ is dead. Sad how he died though. There was a very well written article in today’s Ottawa Citizen that was written by a Chris Ayers from The Times in London.

14 | Liveblogging the first official day of summer holidays >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 28th, 2010 at 6:42 am

[…] done this twice before, and thought it might be neat to document this sliver of our lives […]