16 Jun, 2009

Lunch as Therapy II

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food|Yaktivism

lunch

I love this idea so much I decided we had to do it again.

The challenge is thus:

1. 1. Identify your favourite kind of lunch.  Dig deep into your memory. Is it soup? Salad? Sandwich? What kind? What gives you the most pleasure? It could be as simple as almond butter with sliced bananas and a tall glass of milk. It could be a spicy soup, a yummy salad, boiled eggs, leafy greens with a thick slice of fresh bread and gooey cheese, whatever, BUT it has to be really really good.
  2. 2. Pick a day this week that you’re going to make your favourite lunch. If you don’t have a recipe, find one. If you need to marinade something, do it. If there are people in your family who are grouse at the idea of eating goat cheese, ignore them. This lunch is FOR YOU.
  3. 3. Pick a nice place to eat your lunch. It could be your backyard, a nearby park, or just on your front steps. I know this isn’t easy for everyone (hey, I used to work in an industrial park – I KNOW UGLY), but do try to find the best place possible. If you really want to go the extra mile, pack the good silverware and linens.
  4. 4. Now this is important. Ignore the world. Chew slowly, and savour every second of your special lunch. You are worth it. You know you are.

I’m going to plan my special lunch for Friday the 19th (I’d love it if you joined me virtually!) but don’t feel like you have to do it on the same day.

If you played along, come back here and tell us what you prepared for yourself. Link to your site if you want. Bonus points for photos and recipes. Lord knows I could use the inspiration! :)

*p.s.  if you can’t do it this week, but CAN do it next week, do it! There’s no time limit for your special lunch. (But I still want to hear what you ate and how you treated yourself!)

Tags:

7 Responses to "Lunch as Therapy II"

1 | Mary Lynn

June 16th, 2009 at 9:21 am

Oh, June 19th is my birthday so I really ought to do it then, too. I’ll have to really think about what my favourite lunch is…I’m wavering over what I have. Hmmmm…decisions, decisions.

2 | Lynn

June 16th, 2009 at 11:15 am

Sadly, I think I will have to wait until Little Miss Sunshine is in Grade 1 before I can have a nice, quiet, all-to-myself lunch. That’s only, what, four more years?

Alas.

I added your bio to the Blog Out Loud site today:

3 | BeachMama

June 16th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

How fun! One of my favourite lunches is salad, so perhaps I will make one of my favourite salads for a special lunch and try to enjoy it, even it my kids will be around.

4 | javamom

June 16th, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Funny you should mention lunch…one of my favorite lunches isn’t so much the food itself, but rather the whole procedure of making lunch to have with my 4yo while the toddler naps. We go all out now that it’s sunnier and warm out…we take a blanket and sit on the grass out back, or we sit on the front steps and watch the neighbourhood go by, or we set the little ugly plastic table on our crowded little tiny back porch and bring glasses with lemon-balm ice-cube icetea, forks and knives, little bowls of snacky things like crackers or apple slices….maybe a toasted salmon sandwich or a gourmet melted cheese sandwich…(yes, my kid enjoys the good food, lucky me!). He of course chats endlessly about the pretty butterflies and the nice flowers and the beautiful sunshine…but I listen to him. I enjoy his chatter under such circumstances (when, an hour later, I ask him for silence just for a little tiny while…)

Hm. Maybe I will join. I’d like to…if I remember.

5 | porter

June 16th, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I loved when you did this the last time too. I remember that it was around the time I began my ‘me’ time. I did dinner though.

I would like to do it too..hmmm what to make??

6 | Rebecca

June 16th, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Great idea! I love it. I think I will try for Friday. oh, I am drooling…

7 | Thank God it’s Friday >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 19th, 2009 at 9:31 am

[…] Lunch as Therapy Day! What are you doing for lunch today? Mark is bringing home lunch to share and we might just eat it […]