12 Jun, 2009

Night shots from cloud nine

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Photography

Last night my photography class took to the streets of downtown Ottawa. It was amazing. I’ve always enjoyed taking photos, but this really rekindled the fire.

Ambient light, no flash, long shutters, wide apertures. Ah. Bliss.

This excites me. Really and truly excites me. I’ve been sitting here tweaking a couple of photos I shot in RAW format and can’t believe how lucky I am to have the time and support I need in order to pursue something I am so passionate about. I’ve had a sudden influx of paying photo gigs and I am thrilled and honoured that so many people (you know who you are) are trusting me to take their family photos.

(I guess I should update my photography site soon huh?)

Speaking of which, I am a little closer to a new flash. A *real* photo fairy came to my door the other day and donated something towards my flash. SERIOUSLY. I still can’t believe it.  I am welling up as I write this, it has made me so happy. I wasn’t expecting anything and especially wasn’t seeking donations from actual live people when I wrote that post, but I wanted to ask the universe to see what would happen. Wow. Wow. WOW. A couple of you even stepped forward to loan me your equipment.  This has been one of the nicest things that’s ever happened to me and I am overjoyed at the kindness of Fishbowl readers.

I’m feeling all verklempt now, but I wanted to say thank you thank you thank you!

10 Responses to "Night shots from cloud nine"

1 | DaniGirl

June 12th, 2009 at 10:33 am

Gorgeous shots, Andrea! Great job!! Do you like working in RAW? I tried it for about a month, but have gone back to shooting jpeg. I just don’t have room for all those RAW images in the quantities I’m shooting right now!

And how sweet that the universe answered your plea for light. Karma, baby!

June 12th, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I won’t be using RAW for everyday shots of the kids but if I’m really keen on getting that perfect shot (or someone is paying me the big bucks) I would definitely work in RAW. JPG just doesn’t give you the same kind of control.

3 | The Veg Next Door

June 12th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

You’re a kind person Andrea. I believe that if you put kindness out in the world then it will be returned to you. Love the pictures.

4 | Marla

June 12th, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I’m so happy for you!

5 | lacoop

June 12th, 2009 at 4:35 pm

The photo on the splash page of your photography site is GREAT. It makes me think we should get some family photos done by a pro (that’s you). The kids are not getting any younger, and we keep talking about getting some good family photos…and now I am motivated.

6 | Ron

June 12th, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I work in the RAW all the time. I feel I get the best results, especially when I work in the garden.

It creeps out the neighbours though…prudes…

7 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

June 13th, 2009 at 4:17 pm

@Ron HILARIOUS! I was waiting for someone to go there!

June 14th, 2009 at 8:35 am

Ron I love ya man.

9 | porter

June 14th, 2009 at 11:28 am

LOL Ron!

Andrea, you’ve got talent there’s no denying it…but what I think is amazing is the passion. It’s awesome to read posts like this (or any of your photography posts) and feel the energy through your words and through your photos. I’m totally looking forward to MORE!

10 | BeachMama

June 14th, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Oh Andrea, how wonderful to have someone stop by to see you. You are a good person and I think that The Veg Next Door said it best.

As for equipment, feel free to call anytime, if I have something I can lend you it would be my honour.